Page 212 of 216 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2151

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    did you temp correct your hydrometer when reading og ? your hydrometer is calibrated at 20c (check your own one) and if your wort is much warmer you need to adjust/correct your OG reading. catches many new brewers.
    No I didn't...
    so through an online hydrometer temperature adjustment calculator I will have about 1.043. Not a huge difference, but did bump the expected ABV to 4.6 which is much better.
    Last edited by hopingmadinZam; 22nd June 2020 at 13:12.

Ran a Sabro APA (slightly hazy with a generous dry hopping) this morning, man that hop smells so good ! Went with my first cold water sparge and hit my numbers on the nose, only "downside" I see with the cold water sparge is the time to reach boil is prolonged. Let's see what the beer is like next week or so

Sabro ? .... Never heard about that one

Did you buy from Beerguevara ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Yep, picked up from BG - here's a blurb from Yakima. I had 15.8 AA - hectic for aroma hop

Sabro™ brand HBC 438 was developed by the Hop Breeding Company and released in 2018. Sabro is an aroma hop that is notable for its complexity of fruity and citrus flavors. It imparts distinct tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit, and stone fruit aromas, with hints of cedar, mint, and cream. Sabro’s pedigree is the result of a unique cross pollination of a female neomexicanus hop. With a robust brewing performance, Sabro proves to be a strongly expressive hop that translates its flavor incredibly well into beer.

Pedigree: Neomexicanus Female
    Aroma: Fruity, citrus, coconut
    Alpha Acids* 12.0 – 16.0%
    Beta Acids: 4.0 – 7.0 %
    Cohumulone: 20 - 24 % of alpha acids

Total Oil: 2.5 – 3.5 ml/100g
    Myrcene: 51 - 68 % of total oil
    Humulene: 7 - 14 % of total oil
    Caryophyllene: 7 - 11 % of total oil
    Farnesene: < 1 % of total o

Did an experimental brew for the Wife and Daughter today.

Attempting a Sweet Litchi Beer.

17L Went into the fermenter at a OG of 1.082, will ferment for about 3-4 days to hit a FG of +- 1.040 (~5.5% ABV), then add 3 liters of UHT Treated Litchi Juice and Cold Crash.

Pretty hefty grain bill for a 20l batch.

5.1 kg Pilsner Malt
    1.7kg Pale Ale Malt
    850g Cara Pils
    850g Munich

Added a little bit of hops (it is a beer after all)

6g Southern Star (60 min)
    12g Mosiac (15 Min)

Used Lalbrew London ESB Yeast for some fruity flavours and it's low attenuation.

How are you stopping fermentation at 1.040 ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    How are you stopping fermentation at 1.040 ?
    I've got some experience with brewing ginger beer, I'll cold crash to slow down the fermentation to a crawl once I've reached the target, then once bottled I'll pasturize using the dishwasher after a few days.

What also helps is to underpitch the yeast, combined with the high gravity that usually results in a stuck fermentation around 1.050-1.040.

Since it's a fruity beer I'm not worried about the fruity off flavours the stress of underpitching will cause.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Dishwasher? How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Dishwasher? How does that work?
    I just place the bottles in the dishwasher and let it run a cycle, it works best if the dishwasher has a high temp / pots setting that goes to about 70C, the combination of high heat and time in the heat should kill all the left over yeast.

This just blows my simple little mind! Well done sir! I was checking it out a while ago and saw everyone loading bottles in pressure cookers on YT. And decided there and then NOPE that shit is nuts. This approach is so simple.
    (This is me starting a slow clap)