Page 248 of 257 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250 ... LastLast
Results 2,471 to 2,480 of 2566

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    graincrush too fine, did you recirc? what was above the element?
    Yeah I also want to know what was on the element. I know I get a pretty high amount of sediment in my brews (because I squeeze and sparge and squeeze again), but I've never had something boil like that, even with extended 2-hour boils on some specialty beers I've made.

Quote Originally Posted by CaPunT View Post
    Yep, i'm pretty sure there's no saving it, oh well. First to identify where i went wrong and how to fix it. I want to brew a damn Hefeweizen!!
    So did you try the step mash or did you try the decoction?

Damn, that's hectic ... almost like you poured malt extract directly onto the hot element ....

in that case, dump ... no need to 'fuff' about it any longer
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Step mash - got hold of melanoidin to make up for the decoction.
    Here's what I did/attempted:
    Mash In - acid rest — 45 C — 60 min
    Protein rest — 55 C — 20 min
    Saccharification rest — 65 C — 40 min
    Pre-mash out — 72.2 C — 5 min
    Mash Out — 77.8 C — 5 min

I didn't have my pump on and recirculating until the sacc rest... i think the temp ramp ups and settling of sediment from the stirring on the first two steps was where my problem could have started.
    I have a rPi and auto PID setup but the difference in temps meant the element needed to be on for longer periods. I started noticing the "toasty" smell at the protein rest if i recall, but it was during the boil
    when it started to shine...

I did mash in with a much lower than usual water volume as well (followed Brewfathers numbers) so acid and protein with much more viscous than i'm used too.

That is a lot of brewing.

Yeah your stuff settled during your acid rest, and burned to shit when the element heated up to get to 55C. Why all the steps?

Its a clone recipe for the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. Since I skipped the decoction steps, I tried to follow the rest as best I could.
    Obviously I bit off a bit more than I could chew I guess I would have had to learn this lesson with my gear at some point(since I mash in the urn).

I was gutted after spending more than 7 hours (boil was 70mins...) to find the burnt caking on the element after pitching.
    Hopefully this will be a lesson for anyone else that mashes in their e-BIAB - unfortunately its wasn't something I had read about or even considered.

Quote Originally Posted by CaPunT View Post
    Its a clone recipe for the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. Since I skipped the decoction steps, I tried to follow the rest as best I could.
    Obviously I bit off a bit more than I could chew I guess I would have had to learn this lesson with my gear at some point(since I mash in the urn).

I was gutted after spending more than 7 hours (boil was 70mins...) to find the burnt caking on the element after pitching.
    Hopefully this will be a lesson for anyone else that mashes in their e-BIAB - unfortunately its wasn't something I had read about or even considered.
    i'm not familiar with how your setup looks/functions but;
    - pump egress/ingress should be on the same level as the element
    - ideally some form of filter should exist over this
    comparing to the gf, i have a egress filter (barrel) underneath the false bottom which is underneath the grainbasket filter, the only time i have some scorching is during a reiterated mash (2h)

you could redo the same recipe with a 60 min mash, 10 mash out and 30min/60min/n min boil. the result would be perfectly acceptable. iirc in decoction you remove part of the the grainbill and mash separately, something along those lines but it's raison d'etre is mainly because of rubbish malt, which is not a problem anymore with modern malts (bar walts which has gone belly up)

7 hours ? fts.

I mash in my boil vessel sometimes. I just stir up the stuff a lot before the boil every time to prevent what happened to you :P

i'm not familiar with how your setup looks/functions but;
    - pump egress/ingress should be on the same level as the element
    - ideally some form of filter should exist over this
    So mine is, but it does not have a filter - you can see it in the pics of the burt element. Just an elbow bend to reduce dead space.
    you could redo the same recipe with a 60 min mash, 10 mash out and 30min/60min/n min boil. the result would be perfectly acceptable. iirc in decoction you remove part of the the grainbill and mash separately, something along those lines but it's raison d'etre is mainly because of rubbish malt, which is not a problem anymore with modern malts (bar walts which has gone belly up)
    Yeah, I read up A LOT on decoctions and it really isn't needed with the highly modified malts of today anymore.
    Of course the element of "caramelization" is lost but the melanoidin should make up for that for the most part.
    7 hours ? fts.
    The university of life man. Us newbies still gotta pay our school fees... ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc
    I mash in my boil vessel sometimes. I just stir up the stuff a lot before the boil every time to prevent what happened to you :P
    Wish i'd read/seen that this can happen before but alas i had to learn the hard way. I will be stirring the crap out of it from now on as well.

Anyways, when you fall you gotta get back up. I'll be re-attempting it tomorrow evening hopefully.
    I have a 25L coolerbox and am going to do the (reduced time) acid and protein rests in it and then transfer to the urn for the sacc mash, that way I can leave the worst of the sediment behind.

If you don't hear from me, I stuffed it up again