Page 249 of 257 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2566

I'm currently making my way through this thread to try and avoid running into this problem - https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads...al-rims.68324/

He basically has two circulation returns, one at the top as per usual, and one at the bottom to keep wort moving across the element. It counteracts the bag draining too slowly and the pump essentially creating a dead air space around the element as well as stagnant wort scorching the element.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikusj View Post
    I'm currently making my way through this thread to try and avoid running into this problem - https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads...al-rims.68324/

He basically has two circulation returns, one at the top as per usual, and one at the bottom to keep wort moving across the element. It counteracts the bag draining too slowly and the pump essentially creating a dead air space around the element as well as stagnant wort scorching the element.
    Thanks Rikus, i'll spend some time going through it as well. Looks like there is plenty of useful info for us DYI e-BIABers

Quote Originally Posted by CaPunT View Post
    Thanks Rikus, i'll spend some time going through it as well. Looks like there is plenty of useful info for us DYI e-BIABers
    this is really a work around for stuck mashes. i'd guess longer brewdays would be needed to keep your efficiency in check with this method as you're not returning all the wort to the grainbasket/bag.... i dunno \_(ツ)_/
    iguess.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    this is really a work around for stuck mashes. i'd guess longer brewdays would be needed to keep your efficiency in check with this method as you're not returning all the wort to the grainbasket/bag.... i dunno \_(ツ)_/
    iguess.jpg
    hahaha I have no plans to drill holes in my urn anytime soon, so until then I'm recirculating from bottom to top.
    I'll just need to incorporate the correct methods to avoid sediment settling and being burnt, that's all

That being said, it's only the the acid and protein rest steps that are my problem, I've brewed with the higher mashes without any issue.

The bottom return is regulated with a valve, so my understanding is that you slowly close down the bottom valve as the circulation settles in order to send more wort to the top. This allows you to keep the wort below to bag moving to protect the element from scorching.

Out of interest sake, where is your temp probe located relative to the element and suction and return?

I know the *theory* of PID, but I am still a big champion for throttled power supply to limit the power/ heat surges.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

In my case:
    I hang it inside the urn. So the bag keeps it closer to the side but it's in the liquid, and not in the grains.
    Also, it's about ~80-100 deg away from the tap (I clamp the cable to the handle).

Do not have these issues, I use gas with BIAB, prefer it.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Out of interest sake, where is your temp probe located relative to the element and suction and return?

I know the *theory* of PID, but I am still a big champion for throttled power supply to limit the power/ heat surges.
    In a t piece at the top of urn / end of the return line.

Brewing a modification to the Mad Giant Killer Pale Ale today..
    I added oats to the mix. Will be interesting how the oat addition compares to the one without - which I brewed last week.
    20201014_145940.jpg

47 litres in a 50litre kettle. Hope to fill 3x 5gal fermentors.