Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also use jungle but have a look when buying. There are a few different ones, the packaging looks very much the same but one is much lower on sodium.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• What are you brewing?

Since [mention]Toxxyc[/mention] posted his sweet chocolate stout recipe on the Beer Pics thread, I have this deep need to brew a stout. So I am going to give his a try since everybody seems to be brewing stouts... i can already picture myself next to the fire with a long stout in my hand .
      HAP-BR3W
      Last edited by HAP-BR3W; 13 May 2021, 15:19.

Comment

• LOL enjoy it mate. The picture of the stout in that thread was made from a kit, but my all-grain recipe comes close to what I achieved there, and it finishes sweeter (nicer, IMO). Enjoy it!

Regarding my brewing - I kegged my Irish Red Lager yesterday afternoon, and set it under 30PSI pressure (where it still is now). I want to be able to enjoy it this afternoon still and it seems to work well. 30PSI for 24 hours, then release pressure to serving (around 8PSI), let it sit for a few minutes to stabilize and enjoy.

Anyway, onto the kegging. I had the keg filled with soda water for my wife, so I just poured all the soda water into empty 2l bottles for her. Works very well, she's stoked. I then sanitized the keg as usual and tapped the beer into the CO2-filled keg.

Onto the beer. I aimed for a honey-sweet Irish Red. I seem to have missed the mark somewhere, because this thing smells strongly of chocolate malt, like Milo. I also just can't understand where it's coming from. My recipe is:

Grainbill:
        3.5kg Extra Pale
        2.3kg Pils
        1kg Vienna
        0.4kg Munich Type 1
        0.4kg Munich Type 2
        0.23kg Roasted Barley

Hops:
        26g Nugget @ 30 mins, no chill, for 21 IBUs

Total is 5% ABV.

Colour is brown, without a shade of red in there (for now). As I mentioned before I'm not too worried about the colour, although I would like to know where I went wrong here. I'd like to brew a bright red one in the future, but that's for later.

Back to the smell. I haven't tasted yet, but the smell was rich, sweet, smooth chocolate malty Milo. So I have to admit I don't hate it, in fact I quite like that smell, but it's nowhere near an IRA like I had planned. This is closer to something like a Scottish Brown, or even a Munich Dunkel - but sweeter. I'm hoping the carbonation will kill some of the sweetness, to be honest, or I'm going to get a bit tired of this beer soon (I just know).

Anyway, I can't wait for tonight. This beer should be nicely carbonated after 24 hours at 30PSI, so let's see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          <>

Regarding my brewing - I kegged my Irish Red Lager yesterday afternoon, and set it under 30PSI pressure (where it still is now). I want to be able to enjoy it this afternoon still and it seems to work well. 30PSI for 24 hours, then release pressure to serving (around 8PSI), let it sit for a few minutes to stabilize and enjoy.

<>
          That's exactly how I carbonate

PS: I usually get that Milo smell on "non-pale" fresh wort ... and then also on the same wort if it didn't ferment completely ... what was your FG again?
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I didn't measure FG, but I'm pretty sure it was done. Fermentation was VERY active for 4 days before dying down, then I ramped up for 3 more days before crashing to 10°C for a few more days. Krauzen dropped by then and airlock sucked back, beer is pretty clear. Diamond Lager yeast apparently can eat through a regular beer easily in 5 days, without the huge yeast cake I had so I'm confident it's done. I'll take a sample and let it go flat tonight and then do a gravity reading just to check.

EDIT: And yeah I've gotten the Milo smell on fresh wort as well, but this is different. It's richer, more chocolate-forward than the fresh wort smell. Almost like there's sugar and hot chocolate in there. Smells great, to be honest, but not what I expected. The leftover smell on my hands after a while turned into classic beer smell (like when you spill beer on your hands and smell it a few minutes later), so there's definitely good beer in there.

Comment

LOL enjoy it mate. The picture of the stout in that thread was made from a kit, but my all-grain recipe comes close to what I achieved there, and it finishes sweeter (nicer, IMO). Enjoy it!

Anyway, onto the kegging. I had the keg filled with soda water for my wife, so I just poured all the soda water into empty 2l bottles for her. Works very well, she's stoked. I then sanitized the keg as usual and tapped the beer into the CO2-filled keg.

Onto the beer. I aimed for a honey-sweet Irish Red. I seem to have missed the mark somewhere, because this thing smells strongly of chocolate malt, like Milo. I also just can't understand where it's coming from. My recipe is:

Grainbill:
              3.5kg Extra Pale
              2.3kg Pils
              1kg Vienna
              0.4kg Munich Type 1
              0.4kg Munich Type 2
              0.23kg Roasted Barley

Hops:
              26g Nugget @ 30 mins, no chill, for 21 IBUs

Total is 5% ABV.

Colour is brown, without a shade of red in there (for now). As I mentioned before I'm not too worried about the colour, although I would like to know where I went wrong here. I'd like to brew a bright red one in the future, but that's for later.

Back to the smell. I haven't tasted yet, but the smell was rich, sweet, smooth chocolate malty Milo. So I have to admit I don't hate it, in fact I quite like that smell, but it's nowhere near an IRA like I had planned. This is closer to something like a Scottish Brown, or even a Munich Dunkel - but sweeter. I'm hoping the carbonation will kill some of the sweetness, to be honest, or I'm going to get a bit tired of this beer soon (I just know).

Anyway, I can't wait for tonight. This beer should be nicely carbonated after 24 hours at 30PSI, so let's see.
              My only-slightly-educated guess would be the percentage of roasted barley being the culprit. I would think adding amber malt with a much smaller percentage roasted barley should sort the colour and aroma?

Comment

• I actually figured that's not a large amount of roasted barley at all. Remember that's going into a 45l batch...

EDIT: Next time I'll do more effort on the red though. I actually noticed after brewing you get malts like Red X that is made purely to give a red colour. Will do that in the future for sure.

Comment

I actually figured that's not a large amount of roasted barley at all. Remember that's going into a 45l batch...

EDIT: Next time I'll do more effort on the red though. I actually noticed after brewing you get malts like Red X that is made purely to give a red colour. Will do that in the future for sure.
                  Yeah I plugged in your numbers and saw it wasn't going to fly in 'n 21L batch, I still used the same percentages and scaled down to see the effect.

Last Irish red I brewed was a bit underwhelming, so I haven't bothered to try again. It's maybe something I'll do again in the future, I just need some motivation and a good/different starting point to what I had. The colour was fine, if a bit dark.

My grain bill was as follows (don't laugh)
                  Pale Ale 78.1%
                  Munich Light 14.1%
                  Chateau Cara Gold 7%
                  Roasted Barley 0.8%

Hops (75 g) (IBU's were a bit low at 17)
                  35 g (11 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 4.7% — Boil — 60 min
                  20 g (5 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 4.7% — Boil — 30 min
                  20 g (1 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 4.7% — Boil — 5 min

Colour ~ 25 EBC

OG 1.053
                  FG 1.014
                  ABV 5.1%

Comment

• Yeah mine's apparently close to 24 EBC, so also maybe a tad dark. It's just BROWN. I wanted red, but eh, I'll get there. I'm a fan of IRAs so I'm definitely going to get this right.

Comment

• You guys tried this red? I did it, not bad.

https://recipe.brewfather.app/q21TNS...RujqE5ovemOgii

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanoZA View Post
                        I got one of our local agric supply companies to send the water away to be analysed. They send it to SGS in Somerset West. There is a company in EL that I was going to use, but local was more convenient. I think they are Monitor Labs, in Southernwood.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk
                        Cool thanks, I have been using filtered water from my under sink setup, but without knowing what is in it makes it impossible to change the profile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                          You guys tried this red? I did it, not bad.

https://recipe.brewfather.app/q21TNS...RujqE5ovemOgii

LOL @
                          Screenshot_6.jpg

is there even a colour scale for that

What did you use as substitutes to Gladfield ?
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            LOL @
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3308[/ATTACH]

is there even a colour scale for that

What did you use as substitutes to Gladfield ?
                            Carared and Cara amber

Comment

• [QUOTE=SykomantiS;38088]
                              Chateau Cara Gold 7%/QUOTE]

I love my cara gold .. this and pale ale malt - I have a good grain mix for a PA.

EDIT: Think Sierra Nevada PA is exclusively pale ale malt and Crystal 60 - think ..
                              AlexBrew
                              Last edited by AlexBrew; 14 May 2021, 19:46.

Comment

• [QUOTE=AlexBrew;38096]
                                Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
                                Chateau Cara Gold 7%/QUOTE]

I love my cara gold .. this and pale ale malt - I have a good grain mix for a PA.

EDIT: Think Sierra Nevada PA is exclusively pale ale malt and Crystal 60 - think ..
                                That is correct. Usually do my own recipes, but think I might brew a Sierra Nevada PA.
                                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                                X