This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    You could still add the gelatin ... mix as usual and add it to the keg with a syringe via the prv valve ...

release pressure on keg ...
    unscrew prv (that's if you have one)
    and inject liquid ....
    this will introduce just about zero OČ
    SAB kegs, so I can just depressurize it, open it up, chuck in gelatin and purge...nah, will live with my mistakes and ensure I always have gelatin in stock...

So leer mens uit jou foute uit...

Comment

• Originally posted by dewald posthumus View Post
      best is to present it as is, and learn from it. You are trying to over-engineer a simple beer, trust what you made and roll with it. Like i've said before, you will never ever be 100% happy with what you present when somebody is else is marking your homework, so just go with it.

Dunno how else to articulate it, but go with it and try again, you are judging the beer before it's been judged.
      so much this !!!!
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
        SAB kegs, so I can just depressurize it, open it up, chuck in gelatin and purge...nah, will live with my mistakes and ensure I always have gelatin in stock...

So leer mens uit jou foute uit...
        Yea, My last 2 kegs also didn't get gelatin and altho i could add via the PRV, I also thought nah ... im the only one drinking it, so who cares what it looks like

Comment

You are trying to over-engineer a simple beer
          That's the thing, it's a simple beer, but VERY hard to get perfect. I learned this the hard way this time. 5% ABV, very little colour, 16 IBUs, it's not easy. At all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            That's the thing, it's a simple beer, but VERY hard to get perfect. I learned this the hard way this time. 5% ABV, very little colour, 16 IBUs, it's not easy. At all.
            Tell you what, buy some Craft Lagers and compare, I'm sure it will stack up just fine against them.

Ask yourself the question, what would you do different next time? If there is something, then cool, if there's nothing, then what?

By over-engineering I meant trying to add copper to the keg and all sorts...
            Dewald Posthumus
            Last edited by Dewald Posthumus; 24 May 2021, 14:25.

Comment

• +1 dont mess it up know ... you've done what you've set out to do ... enter as is and learn from it ...

why fuck it up now with copper and what-not just because you read about somewhere or such.

Soos Snotkop sal sê "Raak vir my Rustig!"

Comment

• Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
                Thanks for the feedback guys! Will look into it. My baseline knowledge on this is 0. My plan is to make 2lt starters, keep 500ml and pitch the rest. Will try keep the stored yeast for less than 3 months before re-building

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
                A liquid yeast pure pitch pack has around 100B cells when manufactured and it can't be more than 50ml
                It depends on your method. If your saved 500ml is mostly wort then you can have around 100B in there. If your 500ml is just yeast it could be 500B.
                A good yeast calculator that shows you your overbuild volume is the best way to understand it.

The way I'm saving and freezing yeast I should be getting 20B in 6ml

Comment

You could still add the gelatin ... mix as usual and add it to the keg with a syringe via the prv valve ...

release pressure on keg ...
                  unscrew prv (that's if you have one)
                  and inject liquid ....
                  this will introduce just about zero OČ
                  I've also seen a YouTube vid of using a plastic bottle and carbonation cap to get your gelatin into the keg O2 free. Basically the pressure in the bottle is higher then the keg.
                  You have a dip tube from the carbonation cap into a small bit of gelatin disolved in liquid. Pop on a gas to gas line and gelatin will transfer from bottle to keg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                    I've also seen a YouTube vid of using a plastic bottle and carbonation cap to get your gelatin into the keg O2 free. Basically the pressure in the bottle is higher then the keg.
                    You have a dip tube from the carbonation cap into a small bit of gelatin disolved in liquid. Pop on a gas to gas line and gelatin will transfer from bottle to keg.
                    Aah yes, i think I've seen that video

Comment

• So the copper thing is a trick from winemaking, it's not a gimmick, it really works (if there's sulphur present). To be honest, if I stack this up against a commercial lager, there's something amiss. I'm not sure what it is, but (from the bottle anyway) there seems to be a slight off flavour, almost powdery dry and slightly fruity. I want to know what caused that and how to fix it. Personally, I think it's the yeast, or the fact that I pitched the entire yeast slurry and didn't decant the oxidized beer on top of the yeast. I forgot to do that, and it was a pretty large amount. Could be oxidization.

Comment

• Going to do a DIPA this weekend. Should get columbus and El dorado hops this week

Comment

Going to do a DIPA this weekend. Should get columbus and El dorado hops this week
                          Where you getting the ElDorado from ?

Comment

Where you getting the ElDorado from ?
                            Africa hops are having a massive sale. They asked me not to mention prices on online forum as they are wholesalers.
                            I'll tell you I paid R295 per kg for the El dorado
                            Email Marc sales@africahops.co.za

Comment

Africa hops are having a massive sale. They asked me not to mention prices on online forum as they are wholesalers.
                              I'll tell you I paid R295 per kg for the El dorado
                              Email Marc sales@africahops.co.za
                              Now you've gone and done it!

We will all mail them today for specials thanks!

Comment

Now you've gone and done it!

We will all mail them today for specials thanks!
                                [emoji16] There's more

Comment

Working...
                                X