X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    noted

this? > https://www.woolworths.co.za/prod/Fo...g/_/A-20163181

Do you just add it to the mash? ... looks very fine ... will this not cause a "stuck sparge" ... as in clog my BIAB bag ?
    I have used many times with the most being 1kg, no issues and does not clog the BIAB. Just add with all your other grain to mash.

The one from woolworths is the same, will work.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Cool Thanks
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Just been crazy busy of late finally managed to brew a guiness clone and california commnon this week!

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
          BTW.. Thanks for the link. I had some vienna so added it too. Busy mashing as we speak.
          I’m stumped and need some advice with my pilsner clone that I brewed yesterday. I thought I hit my preboil gravity at 1.048, but then post boil also measured 1.048?!?! Even though I boiled off 3 litres.

I normal tap off a sample, cool it in a previously frozen / ice water glass container thing and measure when about 20C. During the mashing temp I noticed that my meat thermometer I normally dbl check with was measuring quite a bit off from the urn thermometer… so I’m thinking that the preboil sample I took was maybe too hot/cold (as I use the meat therm to test the wort temp)? So maybe it was 1.052 and not 1.048?

I went ahead and chucked the cube in the pool anyway to start the fermentation tonight. Hope it will be salvageable. For reference this is what it should have been:
          1.jpg

Comment

• Even though you didnt hit the numbers thats close enough and you dont have to worry at all about having "bad" beer

Comment

• could also have been a poorly mixed sample. it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                Even though you didnt hit the numbers thats close enough and you dont have to worry at all about having "bad" beer
                Yeah I'm ok with not hitting numbers, I'm just very confused with the numbers staying the same.

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                could also have been a poorly mixed sample. it happens.
                Suppose that's also an option. I'll keep a bit when I pitch tonight and see what it measures at now.

Comment

• Yea ... I have also had those days..
                  Maybe the temp was a bit off - or the wort in the preboil pot wasn't mixed properly - or the hydrometer was sticking to the side of your measuring flask - maybe the angle you reading the hydrometer and the meniscus was messing around with you. Either way your postboil gravity is the one that counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                    Just been crazy busy of late finally managed to brew a guiness clone and california commnon this week!
                    Lekker .. I brewed a Irish Extra Stout yesterday .. initially wanted to do exact Guiness clone .. then I saw I had some chocolate malt .. and some roasted wheat malt .. added some Cara Gold (EBC120) .. then saw my OG was 1.058 .. then called it an Extra Stout

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                      Lekker .. I brewed a Irish Extra Stout yesterday .. initially wanted to do exact Guiness clone .. then I saw I had some chocolate malt .. and some roasted wheat malt .. added some Cara Gold (EBC120) .. then saw my OG was 1.058 .. then called it an Extra Stout

haha you can call it the kitchen sink stout as well. it had everything lol

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        haha had the same issue, I under estimated my eff ended with 1054 >_< also extra stout

Comment

• I take readings with a refractometer and altho i usually stir well before taking samples, i also had that same problem more than once already, where my pre-boil and post-boil readings are exactly the same.

Comment

• PS: Looks like the "reply with quote" feature is again not working

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              PS: Looks like the "reply with quote" feature is again not working

Now it's working again... doh

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                                Suppose that's also an option. I'll keep a bit when I pitch tonight and see what it measures at now.
                                Forgot to take a "clean" sample so took one with the 700g yeast slurry mixed in. Gave it a monster of stir first. OG measured 1.052 so I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X