I'm planning a Saison tomorrow.. so am busy plugging in this recipe:
    https://www.castlemalting.com/Castle...l&RecipeID=238
    into my bugubrew:

.. but have some questions:

1. When I add their grainbill
    80% Château Pilsen
    10% Château Wheat Blanc
    10% Château Cara Clair
    I get a colour of EBC 4.3 - they get EBC of 9 ?? why?
    Shall I add some Cara Gold to up the colour to 9 EBC or just leave as is. I don't know if their 9 EBC is a typo? (or a copy and paste - then forget to edit some details)

2. Then their hops schedule requires:
    21 IBU Magnum @60
    3 IBU Aramis @5
    4.5 IBU Mosaic @5
    1.5 IBU Perle @5

Ok.. I don't have Aramis or Mosaic .. what would be good replacements?
    This is what I have in stock.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2948[/ATTACH]

Thanks
    So, I got impatient and bottled one of my 5gal fermenters of this Belgian Saison brew I did 10 Jan. All completed the final fermentation and is now in my new freezer at 2°C for 4days. The other 2 5gals are still in the freezer idling at 2°C.. Anyway the Belgian Ale yeast SafAle BE-134 did it's job. Fermented lower than expected. Below screenshot.
    Image1.jpg
    It's going to be karate water after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
      Going on a heavy Belgian tour.

1. American wheat, is just half pils and half wheat with caraBelge. using a Belgian yeast to get the slurry going (this is just a silly recipe as I need to use up some Amarillo hops).
      2. Revvy's Leffe Blonde (Belgian Blond Ale - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone) | HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.)
      3. Belgian Dubbel (this is my own recipe that I cobbled together from a bunch of different one's)
      4. Candi Syrup Inc's - Trippel Karmeliet (https://recipe.brewfather.app/UTZ4pb...BRNmT1lRwlbrwN )

Quite excited for the last one. All of them will be done with an Abbey yeast that I used for my first attempt at the Leffe Clone.

this should keep me busy for the next 4 months as each beer has a 3 week lagering period. I found with my previous attempt that the yeast requires a bit of time to clean up after itself.
      Some interesting recipe's..

EDIT: That Revvy's Blonde - the sugar they use.. what type of sugar will that be. Can I use normal white sugar or brown or does it have to be some speciality sugar?
      AlexBrew
      Last edited by AlexBrew; 22 January 2021, 16:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
        Some interesting recipe's..

EDIT: That Revvy's Blonde - the sugar they use.. what type of sugar will that be. Can I use normal white sugar or brown or does it have to be some speciality sugar?

That recipe (screenshot) that I posted above says table sugar ... thats a bsmx file I imported years ago and im sure it's based off of the same original recipe?

Even in that link it says table sugar
        Screenshot_18.png
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• 1 SRM .. must be white sugar then..

I guess brown sugar for darker beers ?
          AlexBrew
          Last edited by AlexBrew; 22 January 2021, 18:48.

Comment

So, I got impatient and bottled one of my 5gal fermenters of this Belgian Saison brew I did 10 Jan. All completed the final fermentation and is now in my new freezer at 2°C for 4days. The other 2 5gals are still in the freezer idling at 2°C.. Anyway the Belgian Ale yeast SafAle BE-134 did it's job. Fermented lower than expected. Below screenshot.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2992[/ATTACH]
            It's going to be karate water after all.
            Karate water indeed. It tastes great, even after 1 day in the bottle. Enough carbonation. I allowed for 2.8 vols - as per recipe. Lots of bananna and berry favours. Nom nom. Wife loves it too .. btw she's sleeping now. Perfect!

Comment

1 SRM .. must be white sugar then..

I guess brown sugar for darker beers ?

-------------
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Karate water indeed. It tastes great, even after 1 day in the bottle. Enough carbonation. I allowed for 2.8 vols - as per recipe. Lots of bananna and berry favours. Nom nom. Wife loves it too .. btw she's sleeping now. Perfect!
                Haha, success when you brew a beer that smacks you around but doesnt taste like it should!!

Comment

• I did a bit of research on my bananna and berry Belgian Saison - seems like I have a bubblegum off-flavour due to too high fermentation temps.

When I brewed the Saison, I pitched at 25°C (struggled to chill it lower using borehole water) as the day and night temps where hot (didn't have my freezer at that time yet). So day1 went from 25° to 28° and d2 to 30°, when I realised I had to get a temperature controlled fermentation unit, otherwise I'll just be making concoctions instead of brews. Next day bought the freezer and plonked the fermentors inside at 20° (22° according to recipe). Probably took another half-a-day to get temps down to control temp.

Anyway, I read that bubblegum flavours are sometimes desired - so, I'll be happy with that excuse. I'll be making this recipe again with proper control.
                  AlexBrew
                  Last edited by AlexBrew; 23 January 2021, 13:48.

Comment

• Fun day on the GF. Cranked out a bitters and reusing Verdant for a first time. I'll top crop from this brew a bit later, it's merrily bubbling away.
                    Stripped a sugar wash and ended with 2.4l neutral at 93%. I'll dilute, filter and run it again at some point.

Decided to clean the taps, stripped one down and bathed it in sodium percarbonate. I usually run 30% boiling sodium hydroxide through the line and it works, but nothing beats deep cleaning each part individually. Great fun

Comment

• Bottled 2x 20l batches today. Small bottles are a pain. At least now I can brew my marzen.
                      IMG_20210124_193745.jpg

Comment

• Brewed a Pilsner over the weekend and will also have to bottle it. I have no beers to take to a braai.

Simple Pilsner (50 liter) @ 3.6% abv:

8kg Pilsner Malt
                        1kg Munich Dark
                        250g CaraPils

Mashed @ 65 C for 60 minutes
                        Sparged @ 75 C for 10 minutes

50g Magnum @ 30mins
                        25g Magnum @ 10mins
                        25g Mandarina Bavaria @ 0 mins
                        50g Mandarina Bavaria Dry Hop

Kveik Oslo yeast - I am still battling to get clear beer from Kveik, will see how this one clears.

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                          Bottled 2x 20l batches today. Small bottles are a pain. At least now I can brew my marzen.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2999[/ATTACH]

That look jolly.

Comment

• Every so often, I'll raid my cupboards for leftovers and make one of these so-called 'throw-away' batches.

I'll weigh out left over grains from previous batches, plug it into Brewfather and see what it spits out and if I can't maybe strong-arm it into a random style that it may or my not resemble.
                            This one was done with the bulk of left-over grain and wheat from Brewcraft, and boy, their grain crush is KAK!
                            Every time (happened to my two previous weizens as well) I use their crushed grain my efficiency on the Grainfather tanks to below 65%.
                            So this one will probably end up 3.3% instead of 4.3%

My Moerby #2 'American wheat' is currently fermenting on some Midtbust Kveik.

moerby_#2.png

Comment

• Now, imagine if a brewing app had that feature where you type in your ingredients and it can align with a few 'core recipes' for each style, then you would have a good starting point {Psssst Alex, are you listening? }
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem
                                in other brewing related activity this w/end;
                                hop burn on my juicy pale. 200g on 20l isn't that much, but paired with a short boil, big hop stand and dry hop, i've gotten the burn prominent on this 30ibu & 0.63bu:gu bastard.
                                I'll let it mellow in the keg for a week or two, if it doesn't correct - then i'll dump a few liters and top the keg up with sprite. juicy pale shandy.
                                Some good thinking there. If you dump during prohibition you are going to have people licking at your drains.
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                                X