This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
    Like how bad? I would run it through the process and see on bottling day. Might not taste to style, but might not be bad either
    Agree, ive had a scorch or two on the gf and the batch was fine

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• well, i'm leaving it for now just so that i can top crop, I don't have any more of the yeast so need to harvest some.

Its a Hefe, so perhaps the clove and banana will help mask it, or i thought of pushing up the temp so that it becomes a toasted banana bomb.
      Still don't think its going to come out palatable though I'll let it do its thing.

Thanks for the encouragement Guys.

Comment

• Don't dump it. Distill it. I know, I know, it's all about distillation with me these days, but I don't care. I think the flavours could come out interesting.

Comment

• unfortunately i don't have the tools...

Was thinking about offering it to someone that has if i end up deciding its not worth it. Krausen is slowly starting to form so thankfully i can get some yeast back and make a call on it in a few days.
          Ill let is ferment out at least to taste it.

Comment

• Tbf, melano is known as super munich and if you used munich and not the light version, you'll have a pronounced different taste to what you're used to. Im sure your beer will be fine

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
              unfortunately i don't have the tools...
              Then give it to someone who has. Golden rule - never throw away alcohol! Hell I'll arrange a cube to your place to take the beer if it's shit. Doubt it will be, but anyway.

Comment

• What are you brewing?

Busy mashing a simplified amber weiss! Skipping the acid and protein rests. Going for a simple 30mins at 62deg and 30mins at 71deg.

Going easy on the wheat malt as I don't want to chance circulation getting stuck...

2.5kg pale malt
                1kg wheat
                1kg Munich I
                0.4kg caramunich III

Going to be using liquid culture diy weizen on this one!
                Rikusj
                Last edited by Rikusj; 11 October 2020, 18:22.

Comment

• What are you brewing?

Did a Maris Otter/Cascade ale, wanted something malty and I haven’t use maris before, looking forward to the outcome. I had a malty pale during the week from a local burger place, made me want to give it a try.

Comment

• MO is my preferred malt for SMaSH beers
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Yeah MO disappears in other malts, but it's lekker in a SMaSH. It has a malty flavour something between regular pale malt and a light Vienna malt.

Comment

• Wit I brewed, turned out great, definately one of the top five I have brewed.
                        Have had a few Wits on my travels and this one is even better.
                        I got the right balance of spice, orange peel, coriander (used Lallemand Wit yeast).
                        35% Flaked wheat, 7% Flaked oats, 24% Wheat, 34% Pilsner.
                        Southern Aroma for hops

IMG_20201011_144026.jpg
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Tried something different, maybe foolish. Did an Ale with 50/50 Vienna and Munich. Summit for bittering and lots of Mosaic in the whirlpool at 90C
                          Pitched US-05 yesterday and within 3 hours it was bubbling up a storm.

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                            Tried something different, maybe foolish. Did an Ale with 50/50 Vienna and Munich. Summit for bittering and lots of Mosaic in the whirlpool at 90C
                            Pitched US-05 yesterday and within 3 hours it was bubbling up a storm.
                            that sounds like something i'd do, summit works well in american styles and you can barely go wrong with mosaic. us-05 is an american workhorse to boot ! sounds good man

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                              that sounds like something i'd do, summit works well in american styles and you can barely go wrong with mosaic. us-05 is an american workhorse to boot ! sounds good man
                              Thanks! Wednesday I dry hop the brew I did last weekend. Looking forward to both of these to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                                Then give it to someone who has. Golden rule - never throw away alcohol! Hell I'll arrange a cube to your place to take the beer if it's shit. Doubt it will be, but anyway.
                                So I just went to harvest some yeast... I'm open fermenting it and it smells fantastic(lovely banana aroma)... took a sample of the "beer" to taste and immediately spat it out as i did.
                                To say that it tastes like what I imagine licking an ashtray in a public smoking area would be is an understatement. Holy crap its awful. No way am i letting it ferment out.
                                It's not throwing away alcohol if its not alcohol yet. no way in hell could I give this stuff to anyone

What blows my mind is by how much the sugars in the OG sample masked this. The OG sample tasted only slightly "roasted/toasty".
                                CaPunT
                                Last edited by CaPunT; 12 October 2020, 12:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X