Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO NOT DUMP. Let it clean up after itself, let it condition and let it do it's thing. I had a friend who managed to power through a 1.065 Belgian beer in 36 hours because he ran the stuff at 38°C by accident, and he took a sample to me. Tasted and smelled horrible. I told him to bottle it anyway, and a few weeks later his response on the beer was "it's actually turned out quite well, and it's pretty enjoyable". So give it time.

You won't judge a car that's 50% complete, so why judge a beer that's only 50% there?

Comment

• +1

unless you need the space or fermenter or what ever, why dump?
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I have read many posts on numerous forums from trying to look for ways to salvage this, and apart from distilling, the consensus was to dump.
        Guys have even tried to condition for as long as a year only dump it. No amount of conditioning clears up the burnt from what i can find...

This is what my element looked like - it was by no means "mild"
        20201009_203426.jpg
        20201009_204144.jpg

Comment

• Damn, that is pretty harsh. Mine's gone a few boils between proper cleaning, but it's never burned like that before. Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
            I have read many posts on numerous forums from trying to look for ways to salvage this, and apart from distilling, the consensus was to dump.
            Guys have even tried to condition for as long as a year only dump it. No amount of conditioning clears up the burnt from what i can find...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2705[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2706[/ATTACH]
            Yeah, that's burnt, plain and simple, not just scorched.

Not much that can save that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• [QUOTE=CaPunT;30763]I have read many posts on numerous forums from trying to look for ways to salvage this, and apart from distilling, the consensus was to dump.

QUOTE]

dump. i've only redistilled some rancid rum i made with essences, i personally wont distill beer, if it's under 10% it's a waste of time and garbage in, garbage out (exception with reflux)

Comment

• smoked braai sauce

Comment

• Yep, i'm pretty sure there's no saving it, oh well. First to identify where i went wrong and how to fix it. I want to brew a damn Hefeweizen!!

LoL PaBz0r - might as well drop your meat directly onto the coals, and not rinse it before eating for the same effect!

Comment

Yep, i'm pretty sure there's no saving it, oh well. First to identify where i went wrong and how to fix it. I want to brew a damn Hefeweizen!!

LoL PaBz0r - might as well drop your meat directly onto the coals, and not rinse it before eating for the same effect!
                    graincrush too fine, did you recirc? what was above the element?

Comment

• As a Q - did it just simply burn during the boil? Like, was the element clean before the boil?

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        graincrush too fine, did you recirc? what was above the element?
                        Yeah I also want to know what was on the element. I know I get a pretty high amount of sediment in my brews (because I squeeze and sparge and squeeze again), but I've never had something boil like that, even with extended 2-hour boils on some specialty beers I've made.

Comment

Yep, i'm pretty sure there's no saving it, oh well. First to identify where i went wrong and how to fix it. I want to brew a damn Hefeweizen!!
                          So did you try the step mash or did you try the decoction?

Comment

• Damn, that's hectic ... almost like you poured malt extract directly onto the hot element ....

in that case, dump ... no need to 'fuff' about it any longer
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Step mash - got hold of melanoidin to make up for the decoction.
                              Here's what I did/attempted:
                              Mash In - acid rest — 45 °C — 60 min
                              Protein rest — 55 °C — 20 min
                              Saccharification rest — 65 °C — 40 min
                              Pre-mash out — 72.2 °C — 5 min
                              Mash Out — 77.8 °C — 5 min

I didn't have my pump on and recirculating until the sacc rest... i think the temp ramp ups and settling of sediment from the stirring on the first two steps was where my problem could have started.
                              I have a rPi and auto PID setup but the difference in temps meant the element needed to be on for longer periods. I started noticing the "toasty" smell at the protein rest if i recall, but it was during the boil
                              when it started to shine...

I did mash in with a much lower than usual water volume as well (followed Brewfathers numbers) so acid and protein with much more viscous than i'm used too.

Comment

• That is a lot of brewing.

Comment

Working...
                                X