X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
    You should not get off flavours from a 60 min hopstand
    I was wondering/pondering about this.. a lot of youtube videos and other literature claim not to do whirlpools/hopstand for more than 30mins otherwise you'll get off flavours from the vegetable matter from the hops. I think last hear it from a Genus Brewing video about Neipa mistakes.

Then came the ponder - why aren't there any mention about this when no chilling ? I'll be trying longer hopstands to see if there is a increase in nice hop flavour.. should be.
    AlexBrew
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 8 December 2021, 10:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
      busy mashing this. v2 of my cali common. I'm looking for serious caramel so I'm going all out. I've also subbed what I have so looking to match color and description.

https://share.brewfather.app/LfC92Jm54ECefH

I will be pressure fermenting at room temp, I usually do pressure fermenting in my fermentation fridge but that is occupied by my APA.

Hopefully it comes out alright, based on my research diamond does alright till about 18 when normal fermenting so I'm assuming that it will work lekker at 22-24 whilst pressure fermenting, I will report back whether it comes out like arse or not.
      I had my Dunkel Weiss idle out the tail end of fermentation outside of my temp controlled freezer and can confirm with current weather she was steady on 21/22C in my lounge. It's a wee bit warmer now than last week, so you good to go there .. ambient temp wise..

EDIT: I had a look at my Sublime PA temp strip .. now currently in my lounge idling out fermentation while my Dunkel Weiss is cold crashing in my freezer.
      20211208_100709.jpg
      Sitting at 22C - which means +4C for active fermentation = 26C might be a bit higher than you wanted ?
      AlexBrew
      Last edited by AlexBrew; 8 December 2021, 10:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
        What was the verdict on it? What did the judges say regarding the body?
        The body was fine, there was no issues with that. I do believe I interpreted the previous judge's feedback maybe a bit wrong, though.

This time I spoke to 2 of the 3 judges present on the day, and their feedback was mostly that it needs more roast barley. The roast flavour was lacking, which I didn't know, as it was never shared with me before. My previous IRA was less roasty and more sweet, but the only feedback I had was "light, with a disappointingly short finish", so I fixed that.

This time though they mentioned a musty fault in my beer, which I'll be honest, I never picked up (tasting bias). All three judges found it, so I'd love to know where it could come from. The malt was all fresh, as was the hops, so I have no idea where it could come from. Makes me wonder if it's not perhaps a Lutra flavour...

Anyway, this IRA scored 32, 33 and 34 from the judges, meaning the 33 average is a full point lower than the previous one scored. I'm starting to see why this BJCP scores on your beers brewed to style is getting addictive. I want to fix it, but not now. I'll get on it later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Guys, I think I'm done brewing for 2021. I've got enough Irish Red left over from the competition to last me the last few weeks, I've got enough rum to keep me going, there's still plenty of decent whisky and I'm tired.

I might start up a rum wash before year end, and I might also just start up my cider I have planned (got the concentrate), but regarding making a beer, I'm done. I'll do my yeast test next year when I have some more energy and time. For now, I'm going to spend time with family and friends.
          Right there is where the stocks starts running low
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

The body was fine, there was no issues with that. I do believe I interpreted the previous judge's feedback maybe a bit wrong, though.

This time I spoke to 2 of the 3 judges present on the day, and their feedback was mostly that it needs more roast barley. The roast flavour was lacking, which I didn't know, as it was never shared with me before. My previous IRA was less roasty and more sweet, but the only feedback I had was "light, with a disappointingly short finish", so I fixed that.

This time though they mentioned a musty fault in my beer, which I'll be honest, I never picked up (tasting bias). All three judges found it, so I'd love to know where it could come from. The malt was all fresh, as was the hops, so I have no idea where it could come from. Makes me wonder if it's not perhaps a Lutra flavour...

Anyway, this IRA scored 32, 33 and 34 from the judges, meaning the 33 average is a full point lower than the previous one scored. I'm starting to see why this BJCP scores on your beers brewed to style is getting addictive. I want to fix it, but not now. I'll get on it later.
            Yeah it is interesting to get more and more opinions, now they have pushed you into another direction. This could also be some sort of a spiral into something, but in the end as long as you enjoy it, who cares

Comment

• Will be mashing in an IRA in about 10 minutes.
              75L batch.

Might be an IBA. Ran out of anything red and had to top up with Special X. Irish Brownish Ale. And the 1kg of Carared in the storage was milled a LONG time ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                I had my Dunkel Weiss idle out the tail end of fermentation outside of my temp controlled freezer and can confirm with current weather she was steady on 21/22C in my lounge. It's a wee bit warmer now than last week, so you good to go there .. ambient temp wise..

EDIT: I had a look at my Sublime PA temp strip .. now currently in my lounge idling out fermentation while my Dunkel Weiss is cold crashing in my freezer.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3719[/ATTACH]
                Sitting at 22C - which means +4C for active fermentation = 26C might be a bit higher than you wanted ?
                yeah it's hot as balls today, but I see we start to cool down from tomorrow. will keep an eye on it if it gets a bit to hot Ill chuck it in the beer fridge. thanks for taking a look for me!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  I was wondering/pondering about this.. a lot of youtube videos and other literature claim not to do whirlpools/hopstand for more than 30mins otherwise you'll get off flavours from the vegetable matter from the hops. I think last hear it from a Genus Brewing video about Neipa mistakes.

Then came the ponder - why aren't there any mention about this when no chilling ? I'll be trying longer hopstands to see if there is a increase in nice hop flavour.. should be.
                  I've had some harsh hop flavors from hop cubing but then I transferred once the boil was done, the last two beers where I cooled down to 80 I can taste a much smoother bitterness.

I think it all depends on how long it takes to extract all the juicy goodness. if you extract all the flavor after 10mins does the rest of the whirlpool really matter. I'm not sure how long extraction takes.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                    Will be mashing in an IRA in about 10 minutes.
                    75L batch.

Might be an IBA. Ran out of anything red and had to top up with Special X. Irish Brownish Ale. And the 1kg of Carared in the storage was milled a LONG time ago.
                    I must say I much more prefer 34 EBC for my IRA's I find it gets a nice deep dark red color. So Special X might just be the thing, I see it also has a very interesting flavor. Good luck, don't pull out your back lifting the bag :P

Comment

That's an odd off flavor, I usually tie musty to moldy or oxidation? Could you have mold in your fermentation chamber?

Sucks man, if Lutra adds that flavor I'm glad I gave it a skip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                        I must say I much more prefer 34 EBC for my IRA's I find it gets a nice deep dark red color. So Special X might just be the thing, I see it also has a very interesting flavor. Good luck, don't pull out your back lifting the bag :P
                        I have a nice 250kg winch. Over 110kgs in the bag before it starts draining away. That's the 17kgs malt plus 96L water.

Pre-boil gravity was 0.001 too high at 1.041. Damn. I'm slipping.
                        Added a couple of liters to drop that to 1.040 and get some more beer out.

First wort hopping as usual. Temp is now at 81 degC already. Hope my gas lasts......

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                        That's an odd off flavor, I usually tie musty to moldy or oxidation? Could you have mold in your fermentation chamber?

Sucks man, if Lutra adds that flavor I'm glad I gave it a skip.
                        We speculated he had some iffy grain.

Comment

We speculated he had some iffy grain.
                          I believe this should be it, yeah. I sometimes store my malt in the same buckets I use to drain wort into from time to time, and the more I think about it the more I think a bucket might not have been completely dry.

Anyway, would my beer have suited the English Bitter style perhaps a bit more? One of those guys from the Tuks Brewing who did the step and no-step beers (who came 2nd and 3rd) mentioned that the colour and flavour reminded him of a slightly stronger English Bitter and looking at the style guide - I'll have to agree. Bready, slightly roasty, albeit not as strong as my sample.

PS just tell me to shut up and I'll stop bothering you

Comment

Anyway, would my beer have suited the English Bitter style perhaps a bit more?
                            Indeed. Even an English Porter.

Comment

Indeed. Even an English Porter.
                              Perhaps something to look at in the future then. Listen, I appreciate the feedback from both you and your wife. Apart from being judges at the event on the day, your input's been invaluable. Also appreciated your comment - you'll have a pint of this. Thanks!

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X