Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• based on my research they tend to say to use 1/5th of a yeast cake, otherwise there will be no new yeast budding and esters will be heavily suppressed. I reused an entire Irish ale yeast cake, the blow off was insane, aint worth it from my perspective if 1/5th will do the job

there are yeast slurry pitching calculators but I cant find one now

Comment

• 200ml on 20L should be fine
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Agree, close lid and leave it to finish.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          200ml on 20L should be fine
          Yeah I used about half of the previous cake... so 5/600 ml

Just went to go have a look again and the lid was bowed again and gunk in the airlock. Took it off (with a big woooosh as the gas escaped) to clean it and when I went back 10 mins later this is what I see.

1.jpg

Think I'll leave the off bubbler for a bit.

Comment

• Time for a blowoff tube. I mostly use that now those bubblers cant handle hardcore fementation when the bucket is a bit full

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
              Time for a blowoff tube. I mostly use that now those bubblers cant handle hardcore fementation when the bucket is a bit full
              Stealing one of the kid's old containers. But this is probably too small?

1.jpg

Comment

• I use a 1l Pet bottle or a feta container. Man so long as the tube don't pop out you are good to go. Just one thing.. Shorter is better the longer the tube the higher the pressure for some scientific reason. I popped out my tube because it was about 2m long(how I bought it) and it significantly increased the pressure, cutting it as short as possible sorted that out.

Comment

• "Just one thing.. Shorter is better the longer the tube the higher the pressure for some scientific reason. I popped out my tube because it was about 2m long(how I bought it) and it significantly increased the pressure, cutting it as short as possible sorted that out. "

i would think the more length of tube,more surface area, more volume, thus higher pressure needed to push Co2 out as opposed to short tube?

Comment

Had to pitch this again.

i didn't find a replacement keg fridge yet, so my small fermentation fridge is still doubling as a beverage cooler atm.

At least the Voss can ferment warmer inside my "electric blanket fermentation chamber", but i will try keep it @ ±23ºC

The Blonde is a low hop beer, so hopefully I will see how bad the taste is I got from previous Voss brews in this one.
                    3 days later @ 23ºC and we down to 1.011

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2958[/ATTACH]

Think I'll leave the off bubbler for a bit.
                      Put a sanitized silicone coaster/ placemat/ sheet strip over the big hole. Done....
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

3 days later @ 23ºC and we down to 1.011
                        Dont even need a fridge afterall!?
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                          Dont even need a fridge afterall!?

Up until now yes ... now its time to cold crush, transfer and then get the keg cold so I can consume the fruits of my labour.

Comment

• Today I brewed a APA again. based on the Siera Nevada PA recipe but instead of cascade am using centennial. Magnum for bittering with VOSS - see how this comes out - oranges and all. Some feedback of my previous Sierra Nevada PA where I mentioned the over ripe orange aroma - well, it's actually tasting quite nice now once it's mellowed out a bit. Very enjoyable indeed.

Though the SN Cascade one was mashed at 67°C and has a thick creamy mouthfeel - unlike US05.. so this one today I mashed at 63°C - hopefully it will come out a bit thinner.

Then one question .. I'm going to dryhop this one .. initially going to use centennial .. but maybe should dryhop with citra .. ?? I now citra is a favourite dry hopping hops - question really is - is centennial good for dryhopping ?

Comment

• Im all for Citra. Never actually dry hopped with centennial, when used in the boil and whirlpool it was always underwhelming so ive downgraded it in my mind, not good enough for DH. Did a Sabro blonde today. From the smell thats my next favorite

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• O and on mash Temps. Ive done 67. But my favorite temp is 65.5-64.5. I dont keep the heat on during the mash so its always a range for me, but latelive had some big temp drops, the APA im drinking now finished on 1004 coz I mashed at 65 BUT it dropped all the way to 61 in the hour. Not my best beer but still better then some

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X