Marzen.jpg
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

My Marzen that turned out VERY well:

Into 23L:
    2.5kg Pale Malt

2.5kg Pilsner Malt
    250gr CaraMunich I
    250gr Goldswaen Brown

Mashed at 69C for an hour, and then sparged as normal. OG for this was something silly like 1.058.

Boiled for 60 minutes using Nugget to get around 22 IBUs if I remember correctly. It's not a bitter style but because of the higher OG I wanted to balance it out well. Might have been 25 IBUs as well, I can't remember for sure.

Anyway, after letting it cool I fermented it with a lager yeast, although I can't remember exactly which one. I believe it might have been an in-house Pilsner yeast from NFP, but I can't be sure, it was a yeast cake I got somewhere in the fridge. Anyway, it was a slow and steady lager yeast, fermented slow and steady and then lagered for a few weeks. Turned out FANTASTIC.

^ Don't you keep a record of what you brew and makes notes

If you can supply the malt list to the gram, why is the rest of the info not noted down somewhere?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    ^ Don't you keep a record of what you brew and makes notes

If you can supply the malt list to the gram, why is the rest of the info not noted down somewhere?
    I tend to spend most of my time on the grainbill as that's where I need to see what I have on hand and can buy. And yes, I need to make a notes list of all my beers. Been threatening to do that for yonks now. I typically only do it for my most recent beers, so there I can tell you everything.

Multi quote not working lekker, thanks for the input both of you.. Was thinking of Munich/Vienna/Pils then some carasomething.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBz0r View Post
    Multi quote not working lekker, thanks for the input both of you.. Was thinking of Munich/Vienna/Pils then some carasomething.
    They both mentioned caramunich 1 .... so I think there's your answer
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Yeah you want caramel and toffee. I had GS Brown on hand from a long time ago, and it's the most toffee-caramel malt I have tried to date that doesn't impart the bitterness as well, so I used it. Very pleased. I haven't tried CaraHell yet.

Technically you don't. You want some malty sweetness, but a Marzen shouldn't really have caramel flavour to it. That is, if you care to make it to style (or for competition).
    Some caramel is fine to contribute malty sweetness, but it shouldn't taste or smell of caramel.

marzen_style.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SykomantiS View Post
    Technically you don't. You want some malty sweetness, but a Marzen shouldn't really have caramel flavour to it. That is, if you care to make it to style (or for competition).
    Some caramel is fine to contribute malty sweetness, but it shouldn't taste or smell of caramel.

marzen_style.jpg
    yeah I would rather make a cali common if you want that caramel sweetness.

Yep don't sweet it. I think a small amount of Caramel Munich I or in that region will work great.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer