This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
    On the protein rests for Weiss mashes – a word of warning to the BIAB folks with exposed elements. Most people experience scorched/burnt elements when doing protein rests. The proteins seem to all drop down and settle around the element, which leads to scorching when you ramp up the temperature. Lots of threads online about it. Just raising for visibility!
    Ahh that would explain the bit of scorching I had. I'll skip the protein rest next time see what happens.
    Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    but why first cold crush
    don know? it's the way I was told to do it . should I not crush it? it's like 1.5L of starter

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. This is exactly what happened to me on my first attempt.... had to dump the batch, it tasted like what i imagine an ashtray tastes like
    Wish i had known this prior to trying though, an expensive lesson, this was.

Looking to attempt it again but using a cooler to do the rests/mashing in this time.
    Damn seems I was extremely lucky.

Comment

• I still dont get the appeal. Weiss tastes yuck.... and its a b1tch to make?
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
        don know? it's the way I was told to do it . should I not crush it? it's like 1.5L of starter
        Did you not make it from the same wort? .... because then when it's actively fermenting you can just dump the whole lot into the FV to get the rest of the wort going.

When I used to do starters (2L at time) I would swirl the Erlenmeyer flask to get everything in suspension, then save 1L and pitch the other liter. The liter that I saved then gets cold store so the yeast settles at the bottom... the bit at the bottom then gets used to make another 2L starter with the next brew ... and so it continued ...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
        I still dont get the appeal. Weiss tastes yuck.... and its a b1tch to make?
        So much THIS

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
          On the protein rests for Weiss mashes – a word of warning to the BIAB folks with exposed elements. Most people experience scorched/burnt elements when doing protein rests. The proteins seem to all drop down and settle around the element, which leads to scorching when you ramp up the temperature. Lots of threads online about it. Just raising for visibility!
          Tx Rikus.

What I noticed with my PID controller is that it will keep on cycling the element on and off between mashing steps - hopefully that will eliminate the scorching
          Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
            My wife loves it - so if I want keep on spending money on this hobby I better brew Weiss
            Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Did you not make it from the same wort? .... because then when it's actively fermenting you can just dump the whole lot into the FV to get the rest of the wort going.

When I used to do starters (2L at time) I would swirl the Erlenmeyer flask to get everything in suspension, then save 1L and pitch the other liter. The liter that I saved then gets cold store so the yeast settles at the bottom... the bit at the bottom then gets used to make another 2L starter with the next brew ... and so it continued ...
              No I usually make my starters from DME a few days ahead of time. I do the same make a starter, cold crush it, and then save a bit and use the rest on the brew. I tend to make 1.5l starters. I'll keep this is in mind as it saves a bit of time to just do a starter with a bit of wort instead of trying to make Dme starters from scratch it's a bit of a pita.

Comment

• Originally posted by FaanP View Post
                My wife loves it - so if I want keep on spending money on this hobby I better brew Weiss
                Cant be a better reason than that!
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ever had a Weihenstephaner or Franziskaner?
                  Unfortunately no local weiss tastes anything like them, and that's the flavour I'm hoping to get too(even though i'll prob never get it spot on).

RE the starters. Jig, your method makes sense since you no-chill.
                  I'm with Jitters in that I make my starter a day or 2 before using DME then "cold-crash" it to get rid of most of the liquid in the starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                    Ever had a Weihenstephaner or Franziskaner?
                    Unfortunately no local weiss tastes anything like them, and that's the flavour I'm hoping to get too(even though i'll prob never get it spot on).

RE the starters. Jig, your method makes sense since you no-chill.
                    I'm with Jitters in that I make my starter a day or 2 before using DME then "cold-crash" it to get rid of most of the liquid in the starter.
                    Why because I no-chill? Everyone can decant 2L for a starter after the boil ... many brewers do it that way and the software even have that built in that the starter volume needs to be added to the final bottling volume.
                    I dont see the need to hassle with DME starters days before you brew and then cold crash
                    JIGSAW
                    Last edited by JIGSAW; 20 January 2021, 15:59.

Comment

Another "hopless pale". I got some free time in the afternoon so rushed to get this done. I don't remember the same grain-bill previously giving me such an apparent huge amount of hot break. This was just before it got to rolling boil

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2981[/ATTACH]

Only difference to previous time was that I left the mash while fetching the kid from school, so a 2 hour mash in the end.
                      Whoops. Used an unknown "whiskey yeast" , average temp for which Google told me was 20 to 30 deg. Set my box at 25C thinking that would be easy for the thermoelectric to maintain... Tonight it was fizzing away like carbonated water and the temp was sitting at 36C. Yikes
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        Why because I no-chill? Everyone can decant 2L for a starter after the boil ... many brewers do it that way and the software even have that built in that the starter volume needs to be added to the final bottling volume.
                        I dont see the need to hassle with DME starters days before you brew and then cold crash
                        I see your point. How long do you have the yeast in the starter before pitching ?

For me that doesn't do no-chill, it means I would have to leave my cooled wort for another 12-24 hours just to wait for the starter to be ready for pitching...
                        Else, the way I see it, I would just be "rehydrating" the yeast in some of my fresh wort for a few hours at most. Sure, having it on a stir plate will help.
                        I really wouldn't want my chilled wort standing around waiting for my starter to be ready(which can take a while...)

I do my DME starters so that I have plenty of healthy yeast ready to go as soon as I have the wort ready, and to save the extra for my next brews(which I don't always make starters for).
                        I just pitch my stored vials in subsequent brews and make a new starter when "stock" gets low again.
                        This is the way

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                          I see your point. How long do you have the yeast in the starter before pitching ?

<>
                          For as long as it takes the cube to chill, but it's usually only about 24hrs

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                          <>
                          For me that doesn't do no-chill, it means I would have to leave my cooled wort for another 12-24 hours just to wait for the starter to be ready for pitching...
                          aah yes, I see your predicament now

I must say tho, I have not made starters in years .... every since i just started saving the yeast/trub after fermentation, my Erlenmeyer flask and stirplate are just dust collectors

Comment

• Going on a heavy Belgian tour.

1. American wheat, is just half pils and half wheat with caraBelge. using a Belgian yeast to get the slurry going (this is just a silly recipe as I need to use up some Amarillo hops).
                            2. Revvy's Leffe Blonde (Belgian Blond Ale - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone) | HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.)
                            3. Belgian Dubbel (this is my own recipe that I cobbled together from a bunch of different one's)
                            4. Candi Syrup Inc's - Trippel Karmeliet (https://recipe.brewfather.app/UTZ4pb...BRNmT1lRwlbrwN )

Quite excited for the last one. All of them will be done with an Abbey yeast that I used for my first attempt at the Leffe Clone.

this should keep me busy for the next 4 months as each beer has a 3 week lagering period. I found with my previous attempt that the yeast requires a bit of time to clean up after itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                              Going on a heavy Belgian tour.

1. American wheat, is just half pils and half wheat with caraBelge. using a Belgian yeast to get the slurry going (this is just a silly recipe as I need to use up some Amarillo hops).
                              2. Revvy's Leffe Blonde (Belgian Blond Ale - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone) | HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.)
                              3. Belgian Dubbel (this is my own recipe that I cobbled together from a bunch of different one's)
                              4. Candi Syrup Inc's - Trippel Karmeliet (https://recipe.brewfather.app/UTZ4pb...BRNmT1lRwlbrwN )

Quite excited for the last one. All of them will be done with an Abbey yeast that I used for my first attempt at the Leffe Clone.

this should keep me busy for the next 4 months as each beer has a 3 week lagering period. I found with my previous attempt that the yeast requires a bit of time to clean up after itself.
                              That NO2 is almost identical to one I've got saved from back in 2012.
                              It's called "Innocent Blond"

Screenshot_17.png

Comment

• I have about 50g of "old" fuggles.

thinking of doing a simple SMaSH to down-down in this hot weather

Just Pale malt + fuggles to about 30IBU @ 4.5%abv

Did one years ago and it was yum.

Comment

Working...
                                X