Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• My Marzen that turned out VERY well:

Into 23L:
      2.5kg Pale Malt

2.5kg Pilsner Malt
      250gr CaraMunich I
      250gr Goldswaen Brown

Mashed at 69°C for an hour, and then sparged as normal. OG for this was something silly like 1.058.

Boiled for 60 minutes using Nugget to get around 22 IBUs if I remember correctly. It's not a bitter style but because of the higher OG I wanted to balance it out well. Might have been 25 IBUs as well, I can't remember for sure.

Anyway, after letting it cool I fermented it with a lager yeast, although I can't remember exactly which one. I believe it might have been an in-house Pilsner yeast from NFP, but I can't be sure, it was a yeast cake I got somewhere in the fridge. Anyway, it was a slow and steady lager yeast, fermented slow and steady and then lagered for a few weeks. Turned out FANTASTIC.

Comment

• ^ Don't you keep a record of what you brew and makes notes

If you can supply the malt list to the gram, why is the rest of the info not noted down somewhere?
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          ^ Don't you keep a record of what you brew and makes notes

If you can supply the malt list to the gram, why is the rest of the info not noted down somewhere?
          I tend to spend most of my time on the grainbill as that's where I need to see what I have on hand and can buy. And yes, I need to make a notes list of all my beers. Been threatening to do that for yonks now. I typically only do it for my most recent beers, so there I can tell you everything.

Comment

• Multi quote not working lekker, thanks for the input both of you.. Was thinking of Munich/Vienna/Pils then some carasomething.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
              Multi quote not working lekker, thanks for the input both of you.. Was thinking of Munich/Vienna/Pils then some carasomething.
              They both mentioned caramunich 1 .... so I think there's your answer
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Yeah you want caramel and toffee. I had GS Brown on hand from a long time ago, and it's the most toffee-caramel malt I have tried to date that doesn't impart the bitterness as well, so I used it. Very pleased. I haven't tried CaraHell yet.

Comment

• Technically you don't. You want some malty sweetness, but a Marzen shouldn't really have caramel flavour to it. That is, if you care to make it to style (or for competition).
                  Some caramel is fine to contribute malty sweetness, but it shouldn't taste or smell of caramel.

marzen_style.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
                    Technically you don't. You want some malty sweetness, but a Marzen shouldn't really have caramel flavour to it. That is, if you care to make it to style (or for competition).
                    Some caramel is fine to contribute malty sweetness, but it shouldn't taste or smell of caramel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3700[/ATTACH]
                    yeah I would rather make a cali common if you want that caramel sweetness.

Comment

• Yep don't sweet it. I think a small amount of Caramel Munich I or in that region will work great.
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Also read the crystal malts are frowned upon, the Americans added them to their versions, but who cares! Will add a little and see.

Comment

• Huh, I never knew about the caramel and toffee. Interesting. Guess I didn't make a Marzen then, but it was a damn good beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post

mmm cali common also another great beer! ensure you use northern brewer hops if you make this style,

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                              Gooi a recipe while you at.. [emoji23]

Comment

• https://share.brewfather.app/LfC92Jm54ECefH

The cara gold and caramunich II is because thats what I have you can use 500gr of any crystal thats about 120ebc

The caramunich III is for color. You can sub in choclate rye if you can find.

I used high pressure coz I have it but you can use w37/70 at ale temps or any true to form cali ale yeast at lager temps.

Cant sub the northern brewer as that is the signature hop.

Its one of my favourite styles it greatly improves with a bit of lagering.

Comment

Working...
                                X