Page 380 of 389 FirstFirst ... 280330370378379380381382 ... LastLast
Results 3,791 to 3,800 of 3883

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    meniscus ?

So I'm reading the meniscus level and you're not? ... since the meniscus is the lower reading

Once again, who cares if you calculate 6,3%abv and I 6,5% ...I don't think there is someone that would taste 0.2% difference ... besides Toxxyc maybe
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Nah, I've given up. You may be able to taste it, but it'll be good beer anyways.

But yes I agree with Jigsaw, that's 1.062. Read at the liquid level, not the meniscus creeping up the sides.

EDIT: That's also why I fill the test tube to the top, so that the hydrometer is floating out the top with the reading being visible completely, and not through plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Think I will brew a Sierra Navada clone soon. Have not used another reecipe besides my own for a long time.
    Maybe I should also brew a clone recipe, the only one I came close to using was the Centennial Blonde, but there I modified it a bit too. All my beers were designed by me, a total noob at brewing. Maybe not the best way to start. Luckily they all tasted reasonably good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    Maybe I should also brew a clone recipe, the only one I came close to using was the Centennial Blonde, but there I modified it a bit too. All my beers were designed by me, a total noob at brewing. Maybe not the best way to start. Luckily they all tasted reasonably good so far.
    I feel for the same trap...until I brewed a perfectly balanced beer from a recipe (I tweaked it a bit), it makes the world of difference - use other people's expertise...

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    I feel for the same trap...until I brewed a perfectly balanced beer from a recipe (I tweaked it a bit), it makes the world of difference - use other people's expertise...
    What I did so far was to decide on a style, then in Brewfather designed it to style with the sliders right in the middle, except for abv and sg, there I aim for 4%.

I have grains for my next Blonde, this one was modified in the shop when I went to buy by someone that has loads of brewing experience, so I have a good feeling about this one.

For my next brew I will find a nice recipe on Brewfather or Brewers Friend with loads of good reviews and see how that works out. I have to say that trying to design a beer to style is half the fun for me and I've probably had lots of beginners luck, cause they were all better than what I can buy from commercial breweries imho.

I think buy this book and read it:

https://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Class.../dp/0937381926

Taking recipes off the cloud or going into a brewing tool and using the middle setting means you don't understand the base style.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post

Taking recipes off the cloud or going into a brewing tool and using the middle setting means you don't understand the base style.
    You are right when you say I don't understand the base style. Brewing beer for me is a fun hobby and I'm not in it to become the best brewer in the world, but rather have fun on the journey to brew a nice beer for me.

I read up on the styles I try to brew, watch videos from a few people that seem to know what they are doing and play with it till I get something I like. It might not be 100% to style, but I have a great time doing what I'm doing.

It's not the best way to go about it I'm sure. But I'm doing this to have fun, my beers turn out nice for me and I have fun with the process. To me that's a win.

I'd like to come taste some of your beers some day, will try next time I'm going that side again and you're open. Maybe that will convince me to become the best brewer I can in the shortest time possible

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post

+1 for this book. it's slightly dated now but they are planning an updated version soon. I bought that book and it taught me so much.

Another good one and the sequel for me is this one Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles: Daniels, Ray: 8601200435597: Amazon.com: Books

Saying I brew with the sliders right in the middle isn't accurate, I aim for the middle, but will change it more towards what I'm trying to achieve to get a feeling for the differences. Like IBU and colour for example. I enjoy experimenting

I find sliders are sometimes not that accurate. Especially for ebc