Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you stopping fermentation at 1.040 ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      How are you stopping fermentation at 1.040 ?
      I've got some experience with brewing ginger beer, I'll cold crash to slow down the fermentation to a crawl once I've reached the target, then once bottled I'll pasturize using the dishwasher after a few days.

What also helps is to underpitch the yeast, combined with the high gravity that usually results in a stuck fermentation around 1.050-1.040.

Since it's a fruity beer I'm not worried about the fruity off flavours the stress of underpitching will cause.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dishwasher? How does that work?

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
          Dishwasher? How does that work?
          I just place the bottles in the dishwasher and let it run a cycle, it works best if the dishwasher has a high temp / pots setting that goes to about 70C, the combination of high heat and time in the heat should kill all the left over yeast.

Comment

• This just blows my simple little mind! Well done sir! I was checking it out a while ago and saw everyone loading bottles in pressure cookers on YT. And decided there and then NOPE that shit is nuts. This approach is so simple.
            (This is me starting a slow clap)

Comment

• Tired of 'working' from home today. Decided to have a brew day instead!

I'm in the middle of brewing a summer Blonde. So far so good; mash is done, now just the boil. Here's some in progress pictures. This is my second brew ever. First was from a pre-measured AG Kit; today's is based on a Brulospher's Blonde but made with ingredients I could find at the time and balanced using BeerSmith. p.s. three cheers for BeerSmith!

IMG_3488.jpgIMG_3487.jpgIMG_3486.jpg
              BushWanderer
              Last edited by BushWanderer; 2 July 2020, 13:12. Reason: I suck at proof reading before posting

Comment

• ^ Nice

Comment

• Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
                  Tired of 'working' from home today. Decided to have a brew day instead!

I'm in the middle of brewing a summer Blonde. So far so good; mash is done, now just the boil. Here's some in progress pictures. This is my second brew ever. First was from a pre-measured AG Kit; today's is based on a Brulospher's Blonde but made with ingredients I could find at the time and balanced using BeerSmith. p.s. three cheers for BeerSmith!
                  Looks good ! If you like beersmith, you'll be blown away with https://web.brewfather.app/

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2470[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2468[/ATTACH]
                    Nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      Looks good ! If you like beersmith, you'll be blown away with https://web.brewfather.app/

I still prefer Beersmith ... i usually export from Brewfather to beersmith but I can see Brewfather taking over in the future

Comment

• Brews in the FV. Trying out the new STC1000 system this brew. That was a lot of fun to wire up.

Missed my Estimated OG, ended up at 1.043 when BeerSmith said 1.051. Not sure if I should be worried, but decided I’m not going to be; a low ABV will probably save me a headache or two.

All in all, a great brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Brews in the FV. Trying out the new STC1000 system this brew. That was a lot of fun to wire up.

Missed my Estimated OG, ended up at 1.043 when BeerSmith said 1.051. Not sure if I should be worried, but decided I’m not going to be; a low ABV will probably save me a headache or two.

All in all, a great brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          i would investigate why .... you don't want this happening every brewday

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2470[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2468[/ATTACH]
                            due. That is pristine!. Looks like a laboratory
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              i would investigate why .... you don't want this happening every brewday
                              I wouldn't know how to even start investigating that!

My first runnings were 1.071. (I used 11.4litres of strike water). After sparge (batch with 18litres) my pre-boil Original Gangster was 1.032. - this seems like a dramatic drop and it may be that i used to much sparge water. I hit my mash temps perfectly and even got my predicted pre-boil volume (25litres). BeerSmith says my measured efficiency was 75%.

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                                This just blows my simple little mind! Well done sir! I was checking it out a while ago and saw everyone loading bottles in pressure cookers on YT. And decided there and then NOPE that shit is nuts. This approach is so simple.
                                (This is me starting a slow clap)
                                Glad you found that useful, BTW the dishwasher also does a stellar job at steam sanitising bottles so you don't have to fill them with iodophor or whatever sanitizer you use. Just make sure the bottles are clean before hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X