This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The original cali common only had 2 malts
    I have seen many a recipe online that has more than 2 malts.
    I brew the one with only 2 malts

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/...ifornia-common

Last time round I brewed it with chinook, prefered this to the northern brewer.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Make Your Best California Common | Craft Beer & Brewing (beerandbrewing.com)

mine is based on the above. I think there is many ways to skin this cat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
        Make Your Best California Common | Craft Beer & Brewing (beerandbrewing.com)

mine is based on the above. I think there is many ways to skin this cat.

Yep brewed exactly the same one the first time I brewed it, but prefer the version with 90% Pale and 10% Caramel Munich III (Crystal 60).

Comment

• Lekker ouens, thanks!

Will give it a bash, I have some california ale yeast I need to bank, so while I am at it I try brewing something with the left over yeast.

*Edit* ag no.. I should have gone for the lager variant, the yeast I am referring to is like US-05 (WLP001), not what you want for a Cali Common. Next time..
          PaBz0r
          Last edited by PaBz0r; 18 November 2021, 08:50.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            Huh, I never knew about the caramel and toffee. Interesting. Guess I didn't make a Marzen then, but it was a damn good beer!
            Mine also has a teeny bit of crystal malt ( < 4% ) but I wouldn't say it tastes or smells of caramel or toffee. Maybe someone who has a more discerning palate may pick it up (or not, depending on what you tell them beforehand).

I do however like a beer with that toffee caramelly note. I need to work on something malty in that vein for one of my next beers...

Comment

• I veered off the Marzen quite a bit and went fully into the Irish Red specifically because I found I liked the sweet caramel-toffee more. The BJCP style guide still lists toffee as a "rare" flavour in the IRA and I don't specifically brew with toffee in mind, but caramel and malty sweetness for sure, with a slightly roasted finish in the end.

I'll probably be giving my IRA it's first test tomorrow. It's carbonating and I just really, REALLY hope it comes out OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                I veered off the Marzen quite a bit and went fully into the Irish Red specifically because I found I liked the sweet caramel-toffee more. The BJCP style guide still lists toffee as a "rare" flavour in the IRA and I don't specifically brew with toffee in mind, but caramel and malty sweetness for sure, with a slightly roasted finish in the end.

I'll probably be giving my IRA it's first test tomorrow. It's carbonating and I just really, REALLY hope it comes out OK.

Looks at IRA recipes - wonders why I have brewed 30 odd batches now and some extreme beers and not brewed this!!!!

Think I will add this to the list and near the top! Will grab the recipe from my Brewing Classic Styles book (cannot recommend this book enough!)

The smoked smore porter (imperial pastry porter) turned out great! will be aging that and cracking the first one in December - just to note I added roasted cocoa nibs and roasted marshmallow and I can taste the chocolate and marshmallow which I was not expecting at all.

SSP.jpg

Marsh.jpg
                Roast nibs.jpg

If you are ever bored here is the recipe also has 60ml whisky with 4g vanilla beans and 120g lactose

SMP RECIPE.png
                Snyper564
                Last edited by Snyper564; 18 November 2021, 12:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                  Looks at IRA recipes - wonders why I have brewed 30 odd batches now and some extreme beers and not brewed this!!!!

Think I will add this to the list and near the top! Will grab the recipe from my Brewing Classic Styles book (cannot recommend this book enough!)

The smoked smore porter (imperial pastry porter) turned out great! will be aging that and cracking the first one in December - just to note I added roasted cocoa nibs and roasted marshmallow and I can taste the chocolate and marshmallow which I was not expecting at all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3701[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3702[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]3703[/ATTACH]

If you are ever bored here is the recipe also has 60ml whisky with 4g vanilla beans and 120g lactose

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3704[/ATTACH]
                  the version in classic styles got me the closest of all my attempts.I just upped the roast malt slighty to get a darker ebc

Comment

• Doing a quick SMaSH (for the warmer weather we're having) ....

Pilsner + 20g Galaxy to 25IBU
                    Just to get something in the 2nd keg .... I tend to drink as little more this time of year

Also nothing complicated ... mash at ±66º ... pull bag ... boil for 30min and add hops after boiling for ± 20min ....

I might make a few like these in the next couple of weeks.
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      Doing a quick SMaSH (for the warmer weather we're having) ....

Pilsner + 20g Galaxy to 25IBU
                      Just to get something in the 2nd keg .... I tend to drink as little more this time of year

Also nothing complicated ... mash at ±66º ... pull bag ... boil for 30min and add hops after boiling for ± 20min ....

I might make a few like these in the next couple of weeks.
                      Sounds like a plan. Let us know if it turns out peachy

Comment

• I see what you did there
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I often do something similiar, especially this time of the year.

Comment

• I'm also planning a few more beers this time of year. Not only for me, but more visitors and family and friends typically means more beers are being consumed. I'll also be doing a few Pilsners, albeit a bit more complicated. I'll add dextrin malt for sure, I'll probably be bittering with Magnum and then add a flameout hop addition of something like Saaz.

I'm going to try a split batch as well. Since I brew 50l batches I'll do enough wort for two fermentation - one with Lutra and then one with a true lager yeast, I'm thinking Diamond. Fermented side-by-side, both in their peak temperatures. I'll then keg both, and we'll see how they turn out!

Comment

• Opened my German Pils the weekend.
                              One of the best lagers I have brewed in a long time.
                              Had way to many Saturday night.

Hallertau Hersbrucker at 5 minutes
                              Southern Aroma at flameout.

MJ M84 yeast

Comment

• Actually thanks for that, BeerHolic. The mention of Hallertau made me remember I REALLY want to brew a beer with Tettnanger and Mittelfrueh a bit. I used it a few times before and it kind of took a back seat to Saaz, but I'm looking for that flavour again. Will rather do my lager/Lutra with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X