Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a Marzen a few months back. Used Tettnanger, worked great.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I bottled my Scott Janish West Coast IPA yesterday +-40litres into 39x 750quarts and 24x 440s. I did end up double dry hopping this one. My most expensive beer todate. A total of 425grams of American hops. Eish. I hope it lives up to expectations.

Next planned brew soon (tomorrow maybe) is a Dunkel Weiss using Liquid Culture's Weiss strain yeast. I had the Erdinger Dunkel Weiss a while back that inspired me to do this brew.

Comment

• Tried brewing a strawberry blonde this weekend for the wife.

Reduced the grain bill from 5kg Pale to 3.5kgs to try and get the ABV down.

Grainbill was:
        3.5kg Pale Malt
        0.3kg Honey Biscuit

Hops (all African Queen):
        10g @ 60mins
        9g @ 10 mins
        14g @ flame out

2kg's frozen strawberries into fermenter (crushed, but could have done a better job there)
        2 pckts S04.

I knew when I was pitching the yeast that I have overfilled the fermenter, but decided to take a chance and see... Well... It popped the strawberries floating on top blocked the blow off tube and the rest is history.

Cleaned up, and tapped off about 2.5l to make more headspace.

If this brew does not end up with an infection, nothing will. I pulled out the blow off tube trying to pull it out only a little bit, , so I am 100% sure something went back in while wiping the lid to get the tube back in..

Will wait and see how this goes. Next time I will only make 15l max of this.

Comment

• ^
          Fruit will usually be added AFTER primary fermentation has taken place - hope this one turns out ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
            ^
            Fruit will usually be added AFTER primary fermentation has taken place - hope this one turns out ok.
            Whoops. Will it make a difference in taste or is it more prone to infection when adding it in primary fermentation?
            The smell i got while cleaning was nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
              Whoops. Will it make a difference in taste or is it more prone to infection when adding it in primary fermentation?
              The smell i got while cleaning was nice

Diffrence to taste, and can add some extra stress on the yeast due to increased sugar but the last one is debatable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                Diffrence to taste, and can add some extra stress on the yeast due to increased sugar but the last one is debatable.
                Thanks, if this one is not fubar with infection i will add fruit later.
                I have added two packets yeast to account for the extra sugar, think it might do ok. Although fro what i read the strawberries doesn’t add much ito sugar, I think only two gravity points (theoretically), but will have to check my calcs again on that

https://byo.com/article/brewing-with-fruit-techniques/

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                  ^
                  Indeed, and fresh fruit almost never gives enough flavour or aroma. BTDT. Make a jam with the fruit then add it. This sanitises the fruit pulp and concentrates the flavours.

Comment

• Brewing a Dunkel Weisen today:
                    Image1.jpg

Comment

• ^ Looks Good
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Brewed this one today .. lots of Southern Sublime. Special addition is grapefruit peel - freshly peeled by myself.. had it on hand at the moment .. thought why not.
                        SS.jpg

Comment

• Wanted to run a neutral yesterday, but had water issues. I am using pool backwash from a jojo, but the bloody pressure pump nearly killed my GF, blew a hose due to back pressure, with me being an idiot trying to run water back via a garden hose.

Got a smaller pond pump to pump the water back from a bath rather and worked like a charm this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                            Brewed this one today .. lots of Southern Sublime. Special addition is grapefruit peel - freshly peeled by myself.. had it on hand at the moment .. thought why not.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3708[/ATTACH]
                            Please let me know what it tastes like. Need some ideas for mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                              Please let me know what it tastes like. Need some ideas for mine.
                              Of course.
                              Recipe details, photo of the beer in glass with some comments come as standard with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                                Of course.
                                Recipe details, photo of the beer in glass with some comments come as standard with me.
                                <3 my maat

Comment

Working...
                                X