This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you brewing?

as i type this, i am consuming my very last bottle of homebrew. it's not a position i usually find myself in nor is it a position i like to be in. i just haven't brewed much in the last month or two.

obviously it's time for me to start thinking about building up some stock again. i'm probably going to make some sort of hop-heavy ale in the form of a CDA or IPA. i make a killer milk stout which i'm hoping to brew up soon too.

what about you. what you got planned?

I've currently got a slight variation on a traditional bock which I bottled last week which I am really looking forward to drinking. It was my first all grain so fingers crossed

Comment

In fermenters, I've got a red almost-Imperial IPA. I was going for 100 IBU, but I added to much sparge water and only ended up with 70ish.

I've also got a 'stone soup' ale (brewed for left over ingredients).

Up and coming, I'm going to take another crack at the Red IIPA as well as work on my brown ale(trying to get something close to the Rogue brown).

Comment

Honey lager in the FV . Doing A Vienna Lager tomorrow , and also a belgium Ale .

Comment

so? hows the brewing going, chaps? i haven't been able to brew because of the weather. my fermenting fridge died for the second time in two months so i need to get my 'brewing fix' through you all.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
            so? hows the brewing going, chaps? i haven't been able to brew because of the weather. my fermenting fridge died for the second time in two months so i need to get my 'brewing fix' through you all.
            Brewing this on Saturday.

But first, getting one of these on Thursday to be my big fermenter. Hopefully it fits in my fridge. If it does it'll be nice to brew a big 40l IPA (300g of hops ), otherwise it'll be a regulation 24l batch.

Comment

Originally posted by MongooseMan View Post
              Brewing this on Saturday.

But first, getting one of these on Thursday to be my big fermenter. Hopefully it fits in my fridge. If it does it'll be nice to brew a big 40l IPA (300g of hops ), otherwise it'll be a regulation 24l batch.
              nice one! i'm super jealous. i tried brewing that same recipe once upon a time but i got so sidetracked with ingredients it ended up being something completely different.

post some pics if you can.

Comment

I'm brewing an English Mild on Sunday hopefully. My Christening Ale turned out really good as a first batch on my new rig, but it's not a session beer
                Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
                  I'm brewing an English Mild...
                  i'm curious. why an english mild? what is your motivation behind that choice? in fact, what is anyone's reason for brewing a particular style? i usually brew things i've tasted and enjoyed. i've never sat down and thought "hmmm, i think i'll brew a wee heavy next" because, well, i've never had a wee heavy and don't know if it's something i'd like to 'waste' (for lack of a better word) my time on.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                    i'm curious. why an english mild? what is your motivation behind that choice? in fact, what is anyone's reason for brewing a particular style? i usually brew things i've tasted and enjoyed. i've never sat down and thought "hmmm, i think i'll brew a wee heavy next" because, well, i've never had a wee heavy and don't know if it's something i'd like to 'waste' (for lack of a better word) my time on.
                    If my last bottle of Wee Heavy is left, next time you are around, you can have a taste

I'm very experimental, and I have tried brewing many styles (and tasting many more), but English styles just happen to be what i like. I guess that's my heritage coming out

I also really enjoy many Belgian beers, specifically Chimay Bleu. I've never been partial to uber-bitter uber-bitter yank stuff.

This is one reason why I like small batch brewing - I can experiment loads, and i only have 4-5 litres or so of beer to deal with if I dont particularly like the style. Then when I have a recipe I have enjoyed, it gets scaled up
                    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I've currently got a Traditional Bock which has been bottled and should be ready to drink on 11 Feb. I've also got a Southern Brown Ale in the fermenter which is actually looking really good and is almost ready to go into bottles. As I'v mentioned in another thread I am itching to put some vanilla in there before bottling to see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't land me up in "the worst beer you've made" thread. But only time will tell.

Comment

If my last bottle of Wee Heavy is left, next time you are around, you can have a taste
                        cool, i just used wee heavy as an example. didn't know you actually had some.

This is one reason why I like small batch brewing - I can experiment loads, and i only have 4-5 litres or so of beer to deal with if I dont particularly like the style. Then when I have a recipe I have enjoyed, it gets scaled up
                        i tried that once or twice but i found it quite difficult to keep it small. somehow they always ended up being bigger than i'd planned

Comment

Originally posted by Matt54 View Post
                          As I'v mentioned in another thread I am itching to put some vanilla in there before bottling to see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't land me up in "the worst beer you've made" thread. But only time will tell.
                          or it may well end up in the "greatest beer you've made" thread (although i don't know if said thread exists, yet)

Comment

I made a Brown this weekend and a summer ale on Tuesday.

Halfway through the mash I realised that I grabbed the regular pale malt instead of the Maris Otter I trekked all the way from CT. Oh well, there is always next time.

@Al: I found moving to small batches easy. I just had to dial in the efficiency and boil-off and it was fine from there on.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcur View Post
                              Halfway through the mash I realised that I grabbed the regular pale malt instead of the Maris Otter I trekked all the way from CT. Oh well, there is always next time.
                              what a pity. there's nothing quite like marris otter, imo.

Originally posted by kingcur View Post
                              @Al: I found moving to small batches easy. I just had to dial in the efficiency and boil-off and it was fine from there on.
                              thanks, mate. i specifically bought a small 10l fermenter but kept making way too much wort. eventually i figured "screw it" and went back to 20l.

Comment

Working...
                              X