This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VenomZA View Post
    Sounds great! cant wait to get a bigger system to do stuff like this!
    Do yourself a favor and watch the series Brew Dogs Season 1 Episode 7.
    These guys make a sour mash by basically bathing/swimming in a tank filled with pre-boiled wort. As the bacteria on the human flesh also produces the bacteria that makes the sourness.
    So if all else fails, get a couple of buddies, have a few drinks fill the bath with wort and take a "dive" in the tub.
    You do realize it is cold at the moment?

Bigger system? I brew 18 liter batches. Or are you on a smaller system.

The Lacto (and other bugs) that are on the grain will make the beer sour enough, no need to go and get pneumonia just to add a few bugs to a beer!

I wanted to ask a friend if I may "borrow" their baby for a brew. The idea was to dip the child in the wort AFTER IT HAD COOLED and see what beer would "grow" out of the bugs that are on a child. The beer never happened, but I think I may try it in the future, but make a strong beer that can age well and can be given to the child on their 18th. "This beer was made with bacteria and yeast that came off your body!"

I have watched almost all the Brew Dogs episodes. I think I still need to watch the last 2.

When it is summer I might actually do a pool party; ask a few buddies to brew the same beer and bring the wort to my house. We pour all the wort into a kiddies pool and each of us takes a five minute dip in the wort. Then we rack the beer back into the fermenters and we see what grows!

Comment

• Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post

The Lacto (and other bugs) that are on the grain will make the beer sour enough, no need to go and get pneumonia just to add a few bugs to a beer!

I wanted to ask a friend if I may "borrow" their baby for a brew. The idea was to dip the child in the wort AFTER IT HAD COOLED and see what beer would "grow" out of the bugs that are on a child. The beer never happened, but I think I may try it in the future, but make a strong beer that can age well and can be given to the child on their 18th. "This beer was made with bacteria and yeast that came off your body!"

I have watched almost all the Brew Dogs episodes. I think I still need to watch the last 2.

When it is summer I might actually do a pool party; ask a few buddies to brew the same beer and bring the wort to my house. We pour all the wort into a kiddies pool and each of us takes a five minute dip in the wort. Then we rack the beer back into the fermenters and we see what grows!
      I never knew this existed
      If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
      ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
      abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789

Comment

• Originally posted by defender110 View Post
        I never knew this existed
        If you are in Jhb area you can pop over and copy.

Comment

Lol you will be supersized (or not) at how hot a couple of beers can make you.

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
          Ive only got a 21l pot. im doing about 12.5l recipes atm because its easy to just cut the recipe in half. But this is resulting in having to brew every weekend to keep stock up to a reasonably level! Not that its a problem haha

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post

hahaha the Idea of dunking a baby in wort sounds as if it could be pretty cool, just wish I was the baby and its fermented wort lol
          However the idea of filling a kiddies pool sounds like a winner!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            Mine is still in the fermenter (3weeks now) ... i was planning on kegging today, but after last night's party, the "babbies" didn't allow.
            Update: Got kegged on Monday night .... This is definitely not lasting long & will also definitely be brewed again!

20150723_182512.jpg

20150723_182530.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now why the fnck does the forum throw them on the side?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
              Yhe. Missed the OG with 5 points (1.085) but I suspect my DIY candy syrup still has a lot of water as it is still quite runny. 1.7kg of this stuff raised the OG from 1.058 to 1.085.
              Checked the gravity yesterday and it has come down to 1.020. Thought it was stalled but that is 75% attenuation which is right in the ball park. Had a taste and wow it has a great kick. Cold crashing now.
              Primary: APA
              Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
              Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
              Next up: world domination

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                Now why the fnck does the forum throw them on the side?
                It makes it easier to look at when we are fallen over.

Comment

• LOL

Comment

• Did the BeerLab Black IPA today - (Partial Mash Kit)

20150726_110513.jpg

Also enjoying some Sierra Pale (Post # 123)
                    20150726_140241.jpg

Beerlab Recipe Link > http://www.beerlab.co.za/blogs/recip...a-partial-mash

Comment

• Our chapter of the Wort Hogs took part in the Beer Wars Brew Off at Copperlake yesterday.

What started off as a classic IPA will now end up as a Red IPA due to a huge cock-up with the malt bill...................
                      And the Pretoria Chapter now has to ferment an English Pale Ale with oat adjuncts instead of a Irish Red...................

Let's see what it tastes like in 4 weeks if the fermenter manager doesn't stuff up the fermentation.

Comment

• Umqom-Classy... Maize done.

Sorghum next, then pale malt

Comment

Umqom-Classy... Maize done.

Sorghum next, then pale malt
                          not my cup of tea but interesting though.

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                            not my cup of tea but interesting though.
                            I am doing it slightly differently. The beer was soured (not very much) overnight. This morning I racked off to the kettle (a MASSIVE MISSION!), boiled, added a bit of hops and it is now cooling. The Anchor Brewers Yeast has been hydrated and is waiting in antici....

The idea is to have a beer that is slightly sour, but clean and crisp. Something for a summer day to enjoy with a piece of fish and a salad.

I must say, it was the most complex mash I have done in my life! I was adding hot water, then cereal, then some cold water, then hot water again. Insane! Eventually all the ingredients were in and the temp settled at 64. This morning the temp was 54! That mashtun is freaky!

I also tasted my DIPA with Brett that is in the fermenter. HOLY BACCHUS it smelt good and the FG is 100% correct! I will now add the +- 200 g dry hops and bottle some time next week.

Next up: American Pale Ale.

Comment

• All sound really good! Would be super keen to try the unqomboti ish drink. I'm keen to perfect a Berliner Weiss and/or a Gose for a similar expected outcome. Any more details about your recipe and process?

Comment

• American Pale Ale went into the fermenter around 10 last night.

I think the UmqomClassy has finished fermenting, no jokes! I will check gravity later today. It was bubbling like mad this morning at 3! It woke me up!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X