This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    I prefer skare for pseudo pilsners/lagers, it tastes a hit crispier than Oslo which I get a distinct aley taste from. Just preference, nothing wrong with Oslo and you'll make great beer with it. Do try different fermentation temps on both, I dont see myself moving back to other yeast soon.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Other? as in other than kveik?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Yup, kveik the world!

Comment

• Nice beer that, I need to have a chat with Rory again

Comment

Yup, kveik the world!

I get that Kveik is great, it's easy to manage, and ferments quickly, but aren't you losing some of the character that style specific yeasts impart to the beer?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
            I get that Kveik is great, it's easy to manage, and ferments quickly, but aren't you losing some of the character that style specific yeasts impart to the beer?

Perhaps, however my hops and grains are the stars of the show. Neutral fermentation allows this, iirc there are more than 40 different kveiks and I havent missed anything from other sacc cervs yet

Comment

• Brewing a Weiss today to replace the one I screwed up when bottling in the week.

Also testing out some of the parts of my build.

Mash temp is spot on.

Comment

• Managed to get the blonde brewed today and pitched the ragnarok. I screwed up on the boil off volume I think as I ended high at 1.053 and about a liter short. But I just let it be as this was mainly to get some kveik going that I can dry and freeze.

Comment

• Did a weiss and bottled the pale ale.

Comment

• I brewed this Blonde Ale 10 days ago. Took a quick SG today to confirm if its ready for a cold crash. Estimated FG was 1.013, this one is at 1.012. I'll remeasure tomorrow and if the same will whack in the gelatine and cold crash. I was aiming for a low EBC beer (9), but I must say I am very surprised by how light it is and how clear it is pre-crash.

10 days later..jpg

(p.s. Pictures keep uploading sideways)

Comment

• Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
                      I brewed this Blonde Ale 10 days ago. Took a quick SG today to confirm if its ready for a cold crash. Estimated FG was 1.013, this one is at 1.012. I'll remeasure tomorrow and if the same will whack in the gelatine and cold crash. I was aiming for a low EBC beer (9), but I must say I am very surprised by how light it is and how clear it is pre-crash.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2492[/ATTACH]

(p.s. Pictures keep uploading sideways)
                      That's crystal clear, what's your process to get that kind of clarity before cold crashing?

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                        That's crystal clear, what's your process to get that kind of clarity before cold crashing?

That's a good question

I used about a teaspoon of Irish moss with 10 minutes to go in the boil. Other than that I've not done anything special. I used a Koln Kolsh style Ale yeast which has a slightly lower ideal fermentation range to Ale yeast I've used previously so that may be a factor (although I wait for the more knowledgeable folk here to give their thoughts).

Comment

• Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
                          That's a good question

I used about a teaspoon of Irish moss with 10 minutes to go in the boil. Other than that I've not done anything special. I used a Koln Kolsh style Ale yeast which has a slightly lower ideal fermentation range to Ale yeast I've used previously so that may be a factor (although I wait for the more knowledgeable folk here to give their thoughts).
                          tbh clear wort doesn't equal clear beer, it's mainly proteins in the wort that makes it cloudy. irish moss and other "stuff" will help drop this into the trub. i personally I dont like adding unnecessary stuff into the boil, your fermentation will be cloudy and the cold crash/fining (cold side) will drop it out of suspension in anyway. my last beer was dry hopped, has wheat and oats in the bill, new england inspired and i fined it. still hazy

Comment

tbh clear wort doesn't equal clear beer,
                            This. I've completely stopped trying to get clear wort. When I add it to the cube now, it looks like I added fresh cream to the mix. It's super cloudy. Beers still turn out like they do. Doesn't matter to me, they all taste great.

EDIT: Oh yes, and on to the topic, have a Vienna lager mashing as we speak. I'm trying out different hops, and will be doing only a 30 minute boil with this one. Wanna see what it's about.

Also have a Vienna cold crashing in the fridge. I abused the shit out of it during fermentation and I want to see what effect it has on the beer. I did a taste test and the initial result is "sies", so I'll see how it goes when the yeast drops out of suspension a bit.
                            Toxxyc
                            Last edited by Toxxyc; 14 July 2020, 12:39.

Comment

• I've just gotten the malts together for A Vienna, just milling today for a brew in a day or two

Comment

tbh clear wort doesn't equal clear beer,
                                Just to be 'clear' the photo from my original post is 10 days into fermentation.

Comment

Working...
                                X