Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided to have my last brew for the year, almost at mash in temp, David Bowie spotifying on the Polk. Should be making a stout, but doing a Marzen+. Its slightly out of style hence the + which is better than just a plain old Marzen

Hoppy new year to all you blokes, except Harm, he can have a "within style guidelines" new years

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    groenspookasem
    Banned
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 30 December 2020, 13:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      Decided to have my last brew for the year, almost at mash in temp, David Bowie spotifying on the Polk. Should be making a stout, but doing a Marzen+. Its slightly out of style hence the + which is better than just a plain old Marzen

Hoppy new year to all you blokes, except Harm, he can have a "within style guidelines" new years

What's your post boil process/timelines looking like? I've found a recipe that does a marzenish brew in 3 weeks which is about the limit of my patience.. so considering it

Regarding the harm comment.. I'm new here and can certainly pickup that you don't like him/his beer/his style/his dog/his XXXXX (fill in whatever) but damn can't you give it a rest?

Comment

• All in good jest, damn, why so sensitive? A

Post boil, hopstand for 20min. Chill and transfer in about 15 or so minutes. Pitch during transfer at about 39c, ferment at 25c for 10 days, cold crash and fine for a week or so.

Comment

All in good jest, damn, why so sensitive? A

Post boil, hopstand for 20min. Chill and transfer in about 15 or so minutes. Pitch during transfer at about 39c, ferment at 25c for 10 days, cold crash and fine for a week or so.

Cool thanks. So also a relative quick one.

And ja, trust me I'm not an overly sensitive guy... but that afrikaans saying comes to mind: 'n grap is 'n grap maar jy maak nie 'n sambreel in a man s'n hol oop nie.

Comment

• Yeah, I could speed it up, but there's no rush really. You could also do a 34/70 warm lager ala brulosophy. I use skare kveik, nice and clean.

I kinda get the gist but I'm not afrikaans, I guess I should change my username at some point. I dont know him, he posts seldom and he has brewed some....interesting in a facepalm kinda way beers

Comment

• Think I'll do 1 more brew and then tackle the marzen... then it can take a few weeks without holding up anything.
              Lol.. I actually started typing by saying "If you're afrikaans then you'll understand the saying..." and then I looked at your username and thought nah.. of course he's afrikaans!

All good, and my you hit your numbers today

Comment

• I brewed a few beers this December, but really wanted to brew one last time before 2020 ends. A g/f of many years ago gave me the nic and it's pretty innocuous and sounded cool, was my gaming handle for a while too, pretty corny, i know.

that cara terra sure is dark, i dropped it from 9.2% to 5.9% of the total grainbill and i'm looking forward to this beer

Comment

• Gedog ek sal soet wees vandag en brou hierdie stout:
                  BIB.jpg
                  I was planning this one for a while now. I have brewed an Irish Stout twice (premix from BG) and was ok .. but nothing great. So though of changing it .. and in my research stumbled upon this Foreign Extra Stout - which seems more of an IPA Stout than a conventional dry stout. I found somewhere a recipe of a 'Black is Beautiful' (BIB) Foreign Extra Stout and combined it with David Heath's Favourite Verdant Milk Stout recipe. I had some leftover Amarillo and Summit and thought with the flavours of VOSS would match the style (IMO). I had Lactose Sugar - so am adding that as well. Also adding the SAB Blend at 30 mins justy to get rid of it (hopefully at 30mins it's not going produce 'that' flavour). BTW the previous KH brew I did using SAB Blend @60mins bittering turned out to be quite nice when the hop flavours smoothed out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                    Think I'll do 1 more brew and then tackle the marzen... then it can take a few weeks without holding up anything.
                    Lol.. I actually started typing by saying "If you're afrikaans then you'll understand the saying..." and then I looked at your username and thought nah.. of course he's afrikaans!

All good, and my you hit your numbers today
                    Spoek is an enigma, I'm never sure if he is English, Afrikaans, kiwi, saffer, ZAhater, or what, but always interesting

All this speak of Marzens, and I am reignited to brew what I wanted to brew a good year ago. Will have to check out what ingredients I have...
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• I'll drink to that I love this country, but am a realist too, I guess I'm just a grumpy git

I'm really enjoying these marzens lately, judging from the color of my wort, this is going to be a dark one.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        Gedog ek sal soet wees vandag en brou hierdie stout:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]2906[/ATTACH]
                        I was planning this one for a while now. I have brewed an Irish Stout twice (premix from BG) and was ok .. but nothing great. So though of changing it .. and in my research stumbled upon this Foreign Extra Stout - which seems more of an IPA Stout than a conventional dry stout. I found somewhere a recipe of a 'Black is Beautiful' (BIB) Foreign Extra Stout and combined it with David Heath's Favourite Verdant Milk Stout recipe. I had some leftover Amarillo and Summit and thought with the flavours of VOSS would match the style (IMO). I had Lactose Sugar - so am adding that as well. Also adding the SAB Blend at 30 mins justy to get rid of it (hopefully at 30mins it's not going produce 'that' flavour). BTW the previous KH brew I did using SAB Blend @60mins bittering turned out to be quite nice when the hop flavours smoothed out.
                        There were 100's of BIB recipes doing the rounds after that whole George Floyd Bullsh|t
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Thought I'd post some pictures. Always nice to look at pictures..
                          20201230_142105.jpg
                          Just mashed in my 50litre Coleman coolerbox .. aiming for 65°C

20201230_142111.jpg
                          Near enough for now - sure to drop a bit.

20201230_151928.jpg
                          Waiting for the boil to happen.. when it did, had a slight boil over. Nothing serious. Beer should have nice head retention.

20201230_155733.jpg
                          VOSS from the fridge - warming up to room temp.
                          Rest of the hops to go in still.
                          When I dropped the magnum hops - had a massive boil over again -- urghh biggest mess this year. Looks like 2020 is not letting go yet.

EDIT:
                          20201230_180411.jpg
                          There we go! 3 little pigs in a row.
                          30mins later .. hearing the first plup blow.
                          AlexBrew
                          Last edited by AlexBrew; 30 December 2020, 20:37.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            There were 100's of BIB recipes doing the rounds after that whole George Floyd Bullsh|t
                            I don't realy want to associate a good stout with G Floyd. The thought did cross my mind when I read up about it .. but though fukkit, this is about beer and not politics. .. but hear what you are saying .. maybe I should change the name of my recipe .. it's now a bit of, everytime I read/see BIB I think of GF. Yuk.
                            Let's call it Alex's Foreign Extra Stout.. yes!?

EDIT2:
                            ABS.jpg

happy ?
                            AlexBrew
                            Last edited by AlexBrew; 30 December 2020, 20:35.

Comment

• Perfect
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

All in good jest, damn, why so sensitive? A

So groenie... your marzen+ safely tucked away in the fermenting cave?

Comment

Working...
                                X