Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The time commitment is roughly the same for 5L as for 20L. If you have demand, then 20L is better.

The logistics are much easier with 4-5L batches and I'm brewing much more now. I don't get through 18L easier, so it is a much better batch size for me.

Comment

On Sunday we minikegged and bottled a dark wheat. A friend of mine got it into her head that she wants to brew her own beer from now on and that's just what I needed as I hadn't brewed in a loong time.

I did a sort of partial mash using a Coopers kit, DME and choc malt, but without a proper mash. Here's hoping it turns out nice.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
        nice one! i'm super jealous. i tried brewing that same recipe once upon a time but i got so sidetracked with ingredients it ended up being something completely different.

post some pics if you can.
        No pics of the beers yet, brewing tomorrow, but I did get the new fermenter, and built a stand for it (didn't trust plywood with 45kg of beer on top of it):

Comment

So 220g of hops equals a crapton of trub:
          ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422778439.118556.jpg

Will filter next time

Comment

Originally posted by MongooseMan View Post
            [ATTACH]614[/ATTACH]

Will filter next time
            very. frikken. awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by MongooseMan View Post
              [ATTACH]614[/ATTACH]

Will filter next time
              Holy moly, thats a lot of trub MM. Nearly 8 oz of hops, thats......thats just.....well done dude

Comment

Brewpi showing fermentation taking off:
                ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422944493.901618.jpg

Look how the fridge temp needs to keep getting lower just to keep the beer temp in check because of all the heat the yeast is generating

Comment

That's nuts!

Comment

This weekend I am planning on brewing a stout of some sorts, maybe 2 different stouts.

I have 2 APAs that are being kegged tonight. One with Southern Aroma, one with Southern... something, I forgot the other hops.

I got some yeast that a company asked me to test, so I have to brew a bitter to see if the yeast is good to style. That will probably happen next week. I will probably brew something heavy with that so that so that it has time to relax before winter.

Comment

As I type, my boil of an English Brown Ale is about 20mins away from completion, then for cooling.

I was in Beerguevara yesterday for some grains (I am going to try my hand at roasting) so I decided to try their Brown Ale kit.

Sometime next week, I hope to be brewing a stout from grains I will have roasted, and then also a SMASH with Cascade hops. the last one I did with Amarillo was really good, IMO, so I want to try it with a different hop.
                      Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Trying my first lager. Vienna red lager in the fermenter. But Escom is not helping my temps!

Comment

Originally posted by GrantP View Post
                          Trying my first lager. Vienna red lager in the fermenter. But Escom is not helping my temps!
                          It would help to keep your fermenter, if possible, in a bath of cold water. That way, if the power goes off, you can chuck ice into the bath to keep the temp down for a while until it comes back on.
                          Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

No brewing for me - building something that will hold my mill... unless the urge to brew my English Mild will exceed my urge to wield some tools
                            Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I need to brew the Libertine Black Ale Clone this weekend to have it ready for the Southyeasters Summer Festival!
                              bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
                              Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
                              Conditioning:
                              Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
                              Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Comment

No brewing for me either at the moment, another couple of weeks. Can't wait, will get the mates around to witness my first attempt with the new system. Pleeease no leaks.
                                "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Working...
                                X