This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest brew day project completed.

Wanted to make a South African inspired beer. So set my sights on sorghum and southern passion hops. Tolokazi brewery makes a pilsner and pale ale with sorghum in the grain bill and its really delicious. So I did many hours research heck even reading 4 scientific journal articles until I found what I was looking for.

So I did a 30l batch but decided to split the batch into 6 separate small fermentation vessels each with a different yeast strain to see which would work the best.

The six selected yeast strains were 1x wheat 2x wit 1x neipa and 1x kveik mideast 1xsaison.

Incorporating the sorghum was loads of works but lots of fun. From the research I ended up doing an acid rest, gelatinisation and then a short boil before incorporating into main grain bill and carrying on as usual. Keen to see how this all turns out. Was loads of work but loads of fun.

4kg Marris Otter and 2Kg Sorghum and OG was 1045

20210323_205746.jpg
    Snyper564
    Last edited by Snyper564; 23 March 2021, 21:53.

Comment

• Nice Exbeeriment
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I'm busy with another Pale Ale for Brewcraft's upcoming Saturday Session on 10 April. They are promoting Liquid Culture Kveik yeasts, hence the short(ish) time frame for the brew. Using Kveik Oslo (did I mention this is my new favourite yeast?) for the Pale Ale - used it before and the clean yeast is perfect for this style of beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
          I'm busy with another Pale Ale for Brewcraft's upcoming Saturday Session on 10 April. They are promoting Liquid Culture Kveik yeasts, hence the short(ish) time frame for the brew. Using Kveik Oslo (did I mention this is my new favourite yeast?) for the Pale Ale - used it before and the clean yeast is perfect for this style of beer.
          Looks like I'll need to get myself some oslo! Been using and abusing my voss for quite some time with no dramas so far but might be time for a change. I had ordered some 'normal' yeast thinking the rain season would cool things down but room temps are back up in the 30s and can't sustainably get ferment temps below 25 deg so that won't work.
          Considering Kveik can ferment happy up to 40deg do you think a liquid culture would survive an unrefrigerated trip in the back of a truck up to Zambia? Could get pretty hot in the back. Dry yeast has survived so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
            Looks like I'll need to get myself some oslo! Been using and abusing my voss for quite some time with no dramas so far but might be time for a change. I had ordered some 'normal' yeast thinking the rain season would cool things down but room temps are back up in the 30s and can't sustainably get ferment temps below 25 deg so that won't work.
            Considering Kveik can ferment happy up to 40deg do you think a liquid culture would survive an unrefrigerated trip in the back of a truck up to Zambia? Could get pretty hot in the back. Dry yeast has survived so far.
            Yeah, what I really like about the Oslo is that I can make a Pilsner, Lager, Blonde Ale, Pale Ale from the same yeast strain! I've fermented at 30 degrees in my fermenter and at different temps just outside in the laundry, with the same effect.

Comment

• ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
              groenspookasem
              Banned
              Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:38.

Comment

• Im busy with my version of a Cali Common .... 30min into the mash now ....

Cali.jpg

Will also ferment with LC Oslo

Comment

groenspookasem
                  Banned

Comment

• Just threw together an emergency brew quickly this morning.
                    3.2kg Pils malt
                    100g Munich T1
                    100g Munich T2
                    350g Dextrose at the end of the boil

12g Nugget @ 60 minutes for 22 IBUs
                    12g Mittelfrueh @ flameout for flavour

Idea is a cheap, dry beer that I'll ferment with Voss to see how fast I can get it to keg. I need to be enjoyed by the 9th of April, latest. Then I want it fermented, cold crashed, fined, the works.

Also means my keg has to kick before then...

Comment

groenspookasem
                      Banned

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        Just threw together an emergency brew quickly this morning.
                        3.2kg Pils malt
                        100g Munich T1
                        100g Munich T2

Idea is a cheap, dry beer that I'll ferment with Voss to see how fast I can get it to keg. I need to be enjoyed by the 9th of April, latest. Then I want it fermented, cold crashed, fined, the works.

Heaps of time. I can brew on the weekend then I'm usually ready to bottle in 4 days ferm temp 27ish deg. I sometimes leave it a week longer so the yeast cake compacts a bit to give me slightly less yeast in my bottling.

Comment

• Thanks guys. Planning on fermenting it a tiny bit cooler, and then also to cold crash and fine it well before kegging so it can chill for a week or so before being served up.

Comment

groenspookasem
                            Banned

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Im busy with my version of a Cali Common .... 30min into the mash now ....

Will also ferment with LC Oslo
                              I recently did a cali with chinnok, bottled it a couple of days ago.
                              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                                Just threw together an emergency brew quickly this morning.
                                3.2kg Pils malt
                                100g Munich T1
                                100g Munich T2

You should be able to drink this by 2nd April already ... so that gives you an extra week to play with ...

maybe
                                1 day extra ferment...
                                1 day extra cold crash
                                1 day extra fine
                                + a few days extra in the keg so it's "more matured" when served

Comment

Working...
                                X