This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
    Best of luck! What comp ypu entering? keen to try my hand at a few of these but not sure where to look
    Try something like Brewcraft's Saturday Session, the malts, hops and yeast is on them! It will only cost you time and effort - a great initiative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
      Try something like Brewcraft's Saturday Session, the malts, hops and yeast is on them! It will only cost you time and effort - a great initiative.
      Def want to try the next one, would love to help the Rhinos out as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
        Best of luck! What comp ypu entering? keen to try my hand at a few of these but not sure where to look
        I'm entering this one: https://www.cactuscraft.co.za/2021/0...ters-day-2021/

It's a more casual competition which is why I would love to enter it. I don't want to do something too formal for a starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
          I forgot to ask, anyone used Midtbust at the meet? I have used Midtbust twice now and jeez, I cannot get over the esters produced by the yeast, I have a granadilla bomb Blonde Ale that is undrinkable, and the Pale Ale I made with it was so fruity that I battled to drink it. It was really horrible, I'm trying to gauge if it was just my beers or whether other guys have the same issues with Midtbust..
          Sounds about right

Strain Profile: This Norwegian farmhouse yeast produces a monster ester profile; Granadilla and papaya are abundant in this profile. This strain highlights the hops with little to no bio-transformation.
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Jip. Used mudthbust 2 or 3 times. Drank the beer but that was the end for me. Problem is I found that taste in all the other strains too. Although lower levels and ended up dropping the kveik

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• 20l of blueberries getting defrosted in my urn. Finally making blueberry wine tonight! Only thing missing is the peptic enzyme. So I might have a little lower extraction then ideal.

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                Jip. Used mudthbust 2 or 3 times. Drank the beer but that was the end for me. Problem is I found that taste in all the other strains too. Although lower levels and ended up dropping the kveik

Wonder if its the same taste im picking up, I dont mind kveik for dark stouts etc, but the lighter beers the "taste" is more evident also the reason im not using it much anymore, used it when I started brewing last year now I can control temp etc and im in no rush

Comment

• Got a Best Bitter in fermenter, wife's cider in other fermenter (lime & elderflower).
                  Doing British Golden Ale on friday, got no Marris Otter so adding a little Melanodoin to compensate and 10% Torrified wheat.
                  Did this previously with Citra and Nelson Sauvin, using Southern Passion this time round.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                    Got a Best Bitter in fermenter, wife's cider in other fermenter (lime & elderflower).
                    Doing British Golden Ale on friday, got no Marris Otter so adding a little Melanodoin to compensate and 10% Torrified wheat.
                    Did this previously with Citra and Nelson Sauvin, using Southern Passion this time round.
                    My British Golden Ale is fermenting now, I can't wait to try it. Sounds like a beer I'd like a lot.

How was your first one?

Comment

• Just finished brewing an extract kit IRA. First time using a hydrometer. It looks like my OG is ~1027? This is terrible? End up with a 2.5% ABV?

Can I increase ABV by adding Dextrose to the fermenter now before pitching yeast or just leave it as is and have a weak ale?

Comment

• Did the kit not say to add 1kg of dextrose (or even better, 'n light LME)? Because I would. 1.027 is quite low.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I know it's a stupid question, but did you mix the extract and stuff properly before pulling a sample? I made the mistake before...

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          Did the kit not say to add 1kg of dextrose (or even better, 'n light LME)? Because I would. 1.027 is quite low.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I know it's a stupid question, but did you mix the extract and stuff properly before pulling a sample? I made the mistake before...
                          Yeah its well mixed...

So just chuck a KG of Dextrose in the fermenter, stir it up and then pitch the yeast?

Comment

• Yeah, also what is the temperature of the sample? Hydrometers are calibrated at 20 degrees C.

Comment

• Thanks for your help. It’s room temp so 24 ish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark250GP View Post
                                So just chuck a KG of Dextrose in the fermenter, stir it up and then pitch the yeast?
                                Yes.. I've done that before. Boil the dextrose in a bit of water for about 10mins to sterilise. You don't want an infection.

What's your batch size?
                                AlexBrew
                                Last edited by AlexBrew; 30 March 2021, 14:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X