Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With those kits I used to buy a 1kg brew enhancer. Which was basically just DME

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark250GP View Post
      Thanks for your help. It’s room temp so 24 ish.
      If your hydrometer is calibrated for 20°C (some are set for 16°C) then 1.027 converts to 1.028.

1kg dextrose on a 5gal batch adds about 15points

Comment

• 23L in the fermenter.

It's added...Not boiled but dissolved in boiling water... got up to 1041 which is much more respectable. I'm thinking thats why the last one wouldn't ferment. Not enough sugars... Going back to AG after this stuff is finished, I dont trust these kits, no idea how old any of the ingredients are, what type of yeast it is etc...

Thank fcuk I got a hydrometer, first brew and no idea how I managed without it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark250GP View Post
          23L in the fermenter.

It's added...Not boiled but dissolved in boiling water... got up to 1041 which is much more respectable. I'm thinking thats why the last one wouldn't ferment. Not enough sugars... Going back to AG after this stuff is finished, I dont trust these kits, no idea how old any of the ingredients are, what type of yeast it is etc...

Thank fcuk I got a hydrometer, first brew and no idea how I managed without it.

Now it sounds about right ...

Weird that you don't have instructions ... ALL those kits you usually need about 1kg Dextrose or DME

I used to mix 700g dextrose + 500g DME and then only top up the FV to 20L ... more flavour and stronger ABV
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• To add: Just be very careful with that hydrometer ... they break by just looking at them

I store mine in a 1L PET bottle filled with sanitizer ... so when you need it, you pull it out .... it's already clean and sanitized ... use it, rinse it & back in the bottle.

Comment

• Thanks for the help guys. Appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                Ok, to get this fucking thread back on track .....

I pitched that Oslo yesterday at 13:00 (fermenting at 32ºC)... had to top up the airlock a few times as it was bubbling like a machine gun.
                I checked on it now and it's doing about 1-2 bubbles per second, so i decided to try my hand at some top cropping ... opened the lid and to my surprise .... NO krausen to scoop anything from, WTF ?

Why?
                Update on this:
                Hydrometer stuck on 1.020 since late Saturday .... top of fermenter is as quiet and clear as a freshly poured flat beer .. NO ACTIVITY

I take it this yeast stalled ... I will still save same from the trub to see how next brew will do.
                I started dropping the temp today for a cold crash.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Update on this:
                  Hydrometer stuck on 1.020 since late Saturday .... top of fermenter is as quiet and clear as a freshly poured flat beer .. NO ACTIVITY

I take it this yeast stalled ... I will still save same from the trub to see how next brew will do.
                  I started dropping the temp today for a cold crash.
                  Is that a top fermenting yeast? I havent used Oslo before.
                  At those temps its not like a bit of heat will help it get going again!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                    I forgot to ask, anyone used Midtbust at the meet? I have used Midtbust twice now and jeez, I cannot get over the esters produced by the yeast, I have a granadilla bomb Blonde Ale that is undrinkable, and the Pale Ale I made with it was so fruity that I battled to drink it. It was really horrible, I'm trying to gauge if it was just my beers or whether other guys have the same issues with Midtbust..
                    Please tell me how. I've used Midtbust, like, A LOT. I've under pitched, "standard pitched", fermented it cool, fermented it hot, gave it lots of time, kegged/bottled yearly- I've never had more than "maybe there's something there?" Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe that's why I got bored with Kveik. I still have Midtbust and Ragnarok sitting in the fridge. I'm more interested in the other yeasts I bought. Lallemand notties, verdant and wheat beer yeast. Even S04 is more interesting for me right now.

Comment

I forgot to ask, anyone used Midtbust at the meet? I have used Midtbust twice now and jeez, I cannot get over the esters produced by the yeast, I have a granadilla bomb Blonde Ale that is undrinkable, and the Pale Ale I made with it was so fruity that I battled to drink it. It was really horrible, I'm trying to gauge if it was just my beers or whether other guys have the same issues with Midtbust..
                      Haha and this is what i love about this yeast! I've made multiple blondes and Pale ales with it and love it.

I have a Pale ale in the fermenter now with Oslo and its crazy how much cleaner the Olso is compared to the Midbust - not that its a bad thing in MY opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        Finally getting a chance today to brew my stout. This the brew recipe:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3198[/ATTACH]
                        I swapped out the roasted barley with black wheat and 'original' recipe wanted 250g brown sugar but I'm swopping that out w 500g blackstrap molasses.
                        EDIT:
                        20210329_175017.jpg
                        This photo taken about 1hr afer pitching .. fermentation about to start. The blow-offs are already going bloep-bloep.. Pitched at 32°C .. that night 34 .. next morning 36.. going nuts. Next day ambling at a plup a minute (between the 3). Quiet now - temp 28.

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
                          Please tell me how. I've used Midtbust, like, A LOT. I've under pitched, "standard pitched", fermented it cool, fermented it hot, gave it lots of time, kegged/bottled yearly- I've never had more than "maybe there's something there?" Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe that's why I got bored with Kveik. I still have Midtbust and Ragnarok sitting in the fridge. I'm more interested in the other yeasts I bought. Lallemand notties, verdant and wheat beer yeast. Even S04 is more interesting for me right now.
                          It might just be the strain that I have from LC. I ferment at 30 degrees and the current beer I have does not even want to clean up, it looks like a NEIPA and it's supposed to be a Blonde Ale, and tastes like Granadilla!

Comment

It might just be the strain that I have from LC. I ferment at 30 degrees and the current beer I have does not even want to clean up, it looks like a NEIPA and it's supposed to be a Blonde Ale, and tastes like Granadilla!
                            hehe that sounds exactly like whats written on the label I used Ragnarok for my Blond, Im using the midbust now for a neipa specifically for that granadilla and boy does it smell like it

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                              hehe that sounds exactly like whats written on the label I used Ragnarok for my Blond, Im using the midbust now for a neipa specifically for that granadilla and boy does it smell like it
                              True about the label, but remember, flavours are usually exaggerated on packaging. In this case, it's not! I'll stick to Oslo in summer beers, but I think I will go back to the usual yeasts for my winter beers.

Next brew is a White Stout for winter. Cannot wait to try this brew.

Comment

True about the label, but remember, flavours are usually exaggerated on packaging. In this case, it's not! I'll stick to Oslo in summer beers, but I think I will go back to the usual yeasts for my winter beers.

Next brew is a White Stout for winter. Cannot wait to try this brew.
                                The said MONSTER ESTER PROFILE Haha they did not lie

Strain Profile: This Norwegian farmhouse yeast produces a monster ester profile; Granadilla and papaya are abundant in this profile. This strain highlights the hops with little to no bio-transformation.

Comment

Working...
                                X