This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    1. Munch in as little as 10% will give you a nice golden colour. Perhaps you could have upped it a bit to get the right colour. See attached - 90% Pilsner, 10% Munich malt
    2. Ja, I'm not so convinced about the whole Kveik thing anymore, I think I brewed my last batch with it for now. Moving back to normal yeasts again. Also getting the same flavour profile in my beers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3230[/ATTACH]

That beer looks great
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      I kegged the cheap blonde ale thing with my first time using Kveik yesterday. <snip>
      And more on this. The keg has sat under pressure for a while (as per charts) and I dropped to 8PSI now to get it ready to condition a bit before serving. As I turned down the pressure, the regulator let off the pressure in the keg as it does. The smell of the CO2 coming out of there was...odd. Almost rotten, sulphury. And that from Kveik. I'm totally stumped and confused by this batch and I'll be giving it a taste tonight to see if it's worth keeping. If it tastes like it smells, I'm DEFINITELY not serving it.

Comment

1. Munch in as little as 10% will give you a nice golden colour. Perhaps you could have upped it a bit to get the right colour. See attached - 90% Pilsner, 10% Munich malt
        2. Ja, I'm not so convinced about the whole Kveik thing anymore, I think I brewed my last batch with it for now. Moving back to normal yeasts again. Also getting the same flavour profile in my beers.

Also done with Kveik they were handy when I needed quick beer, I am happy to wait for my beer now

Comment

Thats a simple grainbill for such a nice looker.

I've also dumped my VOSS slurry down the drain .. not going to continue with that one. Main reason is I made a Siera Nevada PA long ago .. but still has 2 750's stashed.. and made a Centennial PA thereafter and subsequently a Cali Common after that .. and at the time wher the beer was still fresh, they tasted awesome - each with their own distinct hop character. Now after some time .. they are all tasting the same. The distinct hops taste has dissipated into a common VOSS flavour. Looking foreward to US05 again.

Comment

And more on this. The keg has sat under pressure for a while (as per charts) and I dropped to 8PSI now to get it ready to condition a bit before serving. As I turned down the pressure, the regulator let off the pressure in the keg as it does. The smell of the CO2 coming out of there was...odd. Almost rotten, sulphury. And that from Kveik. I'm totally stumped and confused by this batch and I'll be giving it a taste tonight to see if it's worth keeping. If it tastes like it smells, I'm DEFINITELY not serving it.
            OK so I gave this a taste last night. Beer wasn't fully carbonated (only very slightly), and the taste wasn't as bad as the smell. There's DEFINITELY something wrong with it though. I think I have an infection in there. I don't know what it is, but it smells and tastes a little bit like fermented fruit. There's a smell and taste in there I can't place. I want to call it sulphur, but it's not just sulphur. It smells and tastes like a beer that's been fermented too hot, way too hot, but it was made with Kveik Voss so that can't be it?

I'm stumped. I'm pulling another sample tonight and if it's not much better, it's getting dumped.

Comment

• Toxxyc, if it's in the keg and you don't need the keg, let it carbonate, leave it for two weeks and taste it again before dumping it.

Comment

OK so I gave this a taste last night. Beer wasn't fully carbonated (only very slightly), and the taste wasn't as bad as the smell. There's DEFINITELY something wrong with it though. I think I have an infection in there. I don't know what it is, but it smells and tastes a little bit like fermented fruit. There's a smell and taste in there I can't place. I want to call it sulphur, but it's not just sulphur. It smells and tastes like a beer that's been fermented too hot, way too hot, but it was made with Kveik Voss so that can't be it?

I'm stumped. I'm pulling another sample tonight and if it's not much better, it's getting dumped.
                Kegging is the problem. I say go back to bottling!
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Im a bit confused by this? Where does it let off the pressure? Mine I have to physically pull the vent when I go from high to lower pressure. If it is an old regulator (I cant remember) it might be worth smelling CO2 coming directly out of the regulator (maybe old seals got went and stored like that. Think old wet tennis ball smell?)
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    Im a bit confused by this? Where does it let off the pressure? Mine I have to physically pull the vent when I go from high to lower pressure. If it is an old regulator (I cant remember) it might be worth smelling CO2 coming directly out of the regulator (maybe old seals got went and stored like that. Think old wet tennis ball smell?)
                    My regulator does the same. And afaik we both got it from Richard. The regulator itself release the pressure out of the keg to balance it. There is a valve on the regulator. I am not sure if a check valve will prevent that as I only got it now and will install it only when I keg my latest batch in about two weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by PearlJam View Post
                      My regulator does the same. And afaik we both got it from Richard. The regulator itself release the pressure out of the keg to balance it. There is a valve on the regulator. I am not sure if a check valve will prevent that as I only got it now and will install it only when I keg my latest batch in about two weeks.
                      I learnt something today... Some do indeed do the pressure relief automatically. I dont like my regulator anymore

https://youtu.be/BZ5pyJGDoCo
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• So say the pressure in my keg is 20PSI, and I turn my regulator down to 5PSI, the regulator has a venting hole right next to the allen screw where it automatically releases the CO2 from the keg to bring it back down to 5PSI. I don't have to pull the venting ring on the regulator (which is also there).

EDIT: My regulator is the MicroMatic PremiumPlus Primary regulator.

Also, I kinda need the keg. I've got a party coming up on Friday and I promised a keg. I don't have other beer to put in there, so unless someone in Pretoria has a fermenter full of beer I can grab, I'm kinda screwed. Either serve a bad beer, get egg on face, or pitch without a keg, get egg on face.
                        Toxxyc
                        Last edited by Toxxyc; 7 April 2021, 08:43.

Comment

So say the pressure in my keg is 20PSI, and I turn my regulator down to 5PSI, the regulator has a venting hole right next to the allen screw where it automatically releases the CO2 from the keg to bring it back down to 5PSI. I don't have to pull the venting ring on the regulator (which is also there).

EDIT: My regulator is the MicroMatic PremiumPlus Primary regulator.

Also, I kinda need the keg. I've got a party coming up on Friday and I promised a keg. I don't have other beer to put in there, so unless someone in Pretoria has a fermenter full of beer I can grab, I'm kinda screwed. Either serve a bad beer, get egg on face, or pitch without a keg, get egg on face.
                          Then i would DEFINITELY make sure to have a check-valve or 2 or 3 in place ... air that's automatically being sucked back that easily is a sign of trouble
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Ja, that's always a kak one, I make really lekker beers, except when I promise a keg - whether it's a for a big party or a Saturday Session, then I'm never happy with the beer...perhaps we are just too hard on ourselves. Take it with you, take the flak, and learn from it. Don't back out, and if you return home with an empty keg, you know it wasn't that bad, when I was your age, my friends weren't picky about alcohol either...

Comment

• No the beer is shit. I pulled a sample and it's terrible. I won't drink this even if I'm very thirsty, so I'm definitely not serving it to other people. It's sulphur and almost a sour note all over. I'm going to be tapping this straight into the still in a bit, and refilling the keg with a Bock I got from a friend.

Comment

• Ok, if it's that shit then you had infection somewhere. Time to take apart everything, soak in SPC and wash, wash, wash...

Comment

Working...
                                X