Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I take it SA hops are mainly produced for SAB?

Comment

• I think there is one independent producer in the Drakensberg somewhere, but all the southern (*) hops is from SAB's hop farms near George I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
        How much more flavour will it add @ 30 min? The idea was to use it purely for bittering and not flavour.
        Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        Not a lot, but I can pick up flavour from a 30 minute vs 60 minute boil. I would use style-appropriate hops at 30 minutes, and at 60 minutes I worry less.

+1 what Toxxyc said. I would just chuck in some Styrian goldings or Saaz. it's going to complement it a lot more than a south African hop.

Comment

• Guess I'll have to go buy some hops then.

Comment

• Buy a high-AA hop in a flavour that you'd like. Magnum is a great choice, as are other high-AA close-to-noble varieties like Perle. Don't go buy Saaz to bitter with - you're going to be boiling a lot of expensive hops for little IBUs in a beer. Sometimes high-AA alternatives do really well. Perle, for example, is a great bittering hop in place of something like Mittelfrueh, and they have very similar flavour profiles.

Shop smart. I also used to buy the highest AA because "it's cheap" but ended up with a lot of unused hops, because the flavours simply didn't match up to the beers I made in the end.

By the way, for bittering, SAB T90 is underrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              By the way, for bittering, SAB T90 is underrated.
              Don't you get the grassy off flavor everyone mentions when boiling South African hops for 60mins?

Comment

• Southern Dawn is by far my favourite SA hop for bittering. Clean flavours and good bittering, the rest I would not touch for bittering, like Toxxyc said, rather use something like Magnum for that.

I've been using Magnum for the past 6 months as an exclusive bittering hop at 30 mins, with the exception of my Amber Ale, where I don't use bittering at all, only Simcoe and Amarillo from 20 minutes onward.

Again, find what works for your palate, and work with it.

Comment

• Thanks, will see if I can get my hands on some Magnum. Brewmart are out of stock but I see Brewcraft have in stock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                    Don't you get the grassy off flavor everyone mentions when boiling South African hops for 60mins?
                    Not really, no, but then again I don't do 60 minute boils unless it's a specific recipe.

EDIT: And then I don't use SA hops anyway.

Comment

• thinking of doing an oat milk stout I came up with the below recipe:

Any thoughts or advice trying to go for sweet and not too roasty:

https://share.brewfather.app/g9xtqdUcC8h0hv

Fermentables (7.25 kg)
                      4.5 kg - Pale Malt, Maris Otter 5.9 EBC (62.1%)
                      500 g - Chateau Oat 2.3 EBC (6.9%)
                      500 g - Golden Naked Oats 18 EBC (6.9%)
                      500 g - Rolled Oats 2.7 EBC (6.9%)
                      350 g - Chateau Chocolat 900 EBC (4.8%)
                      300 g - Flameout - Milk Sugar (Lactose) 0 EBC...
                      250 g - Carafa Special III 925 EBC (3.5%)
                      250 g - Chateau Crystal 150 EBC (3.5%)
                      100 g - Roasted Barley 1150 EBC (1.4%)

Hops (85 g)
                      10 min - 55 g - East Kent Goldings (EKG) - 5%...
                      10 min - 30 g - Fuggle - 5% (7 IBU)

Mash - 4 g - Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)
                      Mash - 3 g - Epsom Salt (MgSO4)
                      Mash - 3 g - Gypsum (CaSO4)
                      Mash - 5 ml - Lactic Acid 80%
                      15 min - Boil - 2 g - Yeast Nutrients
                      10 min - Boil - 5 g - Polyclar Brewbrite

Yeast
                      1 pkg - Fermentis SafAle English Ale S-04

Comment

• I would save money on all the oats and just use Jungle Oats. I've gotten better beers with Jungle Oats than brewery oats.

EDIT: If you want to cut back on the roast, you can swap the roasted barley out for black malt. It gives a SLIGHTLY less roasted bitterness, but it's a lot of the same. Points for the chocolate malt, I love a high % of choc malt in my stouts. You can even boost the lactose a bit if your ABV goes up. I tend to use around 80g per 1% of the expected ABV, so around 500g for a 6% ABV stout. The alcohol ensures the high lactose content doesn't make the stout to viscous to drink.

PS: Finings in a black stout is useless.
                        Toxxyc
                        Last edited by Toxxyc; 13 May 2021, 09:41.

Comment

• Looks ok. Shit load of Oats malts ... she's going to be creamy

You also don't need the Polyclar with this one (i actually stopped using it in all my brews .. Gelatine does the job)

Did you base this off of another recipe?
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• This is one I did back in 2015 ... AFAIK (remember) it was yum

Screenshot_2.jpg
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I would save money on all the oats and just use Jungle Oats. I've gotten better beers with Jungle Oats than brewery oats.

EDIT: If you want to cut back on the roast, you can swap the roasted barley out for black malt. It gives a SLIGHTLY less roasted bitterness, but it's a lot of the same. Points for the chocolate malt, I love a high % of choc malt in my stouts. You can even boost the lactose a bit if your ABV goes up. I tend to use around 80g per 1% of the expected ABV, so around 500g for a 6% ABV stout. The alcohol ensures the high lactose content doesn't make the stout to viscous to drink.

I have extra oats in stock, I bought it when I was planning my karmaliet tripel, but thanks I will note it for the future. Thanks for reminding me about the finnings I chuck it into everything for some reason.

Noted about the Lactose, that was going to be one of my questions I'll try 80g per 1%

Thanks for the feedback!!

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Looks ok. Shit load of Oats malts ... she's going to be creamy

You also don't need the Polyclar with this one (i actually stopped using it in all my brews .. Gelatine does the job)

Did you base this off of another recipe?
                              I bought it as all my beers have chill haze and I wanted to get rid of it, I add it by default when I start a new recipe, but thanks for reminding me to remove it. I based the recipe off a few different ones mostly oat and milk stouts, it's a bit of a bastardized recipe

Aiming for something sweet and creamy with a good mouth feel for late night sipping.

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              This is one I did back in 2015 ... AFAIK (remember) it was yum

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3303[/ATTACH]
                              I have carafa 1 here do you think it would be worth chucking in some? or rather skip it and stick with the caraffa 3? I find the caraffa 1 adds nice coffee notes

Comment

I would save money on all the oats and just use Jungle Oats. I've gotten better beers with Jungle Oats than brewery oats.
                                Agree, I now only use jungle oats
                                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                                X