This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Also have wort in bag. I have a 50L (SAB) converted keg for mashing. Once wort is transfered to kettle I lift the bag half why out and use a potato masher to squeze wort out against inside of keg and transfer the remaining, no mess.
    Yes, but you transfer to a kettle ... I use the same vessel so I have to pull the bag out completely ... and thats where the messy part starts
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
      I brew on my patio with a roof like this... exposed wooden beams and ceiling boards. Suggestions on how to hook up something to them other than drilling through a beam? I guess I'll need to loop something across the beam to go through the cornice?
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3462[/ATTACH]
      I screwed in a hook like this into my beam ...

Screenshot_1.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        I'd love to see what you guys' pulley systems look like (with possible part costs) if you would be so kind. I need to set one up but I'm a dumbass with these things.
        On a beam in the braairoom (also my brew-room)

1.jpg

That pulley system in the pic has since been replaced with a ratchet pulley system that was bought at takealot for about R165

the hook was ± R20

beam = existing

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          Yes, but you transfer to a kettle ... I use the same vessel so I have to pull the bag out completely ... and thats where the messy part starts
          Right now I lift and let it drip for a bit, then drop it down into a bucket and sparge in the bucket - repeat once more. Once done I suspend the whole bag over the kettle while the boil starts (takes a while). I get most of the liquid out that way.

Comment

I brew on my patio with a roof like this... exposed wooden beams and ceiling boards. Suggestions on how to hook up something to them other than drilling through a beam? I guess I'll need to loop something across the beam to go through the cornice?
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3462[/ATTACH]
            Attach it to the fan. The switch it on and use centrifugal force to expell excess liquid. Make sure you have consumed 6 homebrews by the time the wife comes home - then all will be well.

Comment

• Wahahahah..

PS. Alex, I forgot. Has your Electric pale ale finished yet? What do you think about it?

Comment

Wahahahah..

PS. Alex, I forgot. Has your Electric pale ale finished yet? What do you think about it?
                Beautifull.. Had one curiousity beer other day .. still under carbed after a week and a bit (bottled 19/07), which one can expect with these winter temps. Similar to the Killer Hop - but with a 'sweeter' taste. Whereas the Killer hop leans more lemons .. th EPA leans more oranges.

I'm sure to have some tomorrow. Possibly post a picture.

Comment

• I'm ghetto on this. I have my 50l urn on the ground with my water and 5kg of graining a bag. I just take my step ladder, put it over the pot. use a rope with 3turns around the top rung of the ladder. Its self locking if you loop the tight side of the rope over the slack side. And then I tie it off to be safe. The rope allows you to pull with your whole body and not just your arms. Wont work with big systems but its simple and packs away completely

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    Beautifull.. Had one curiousity beer other day .. still under carbed after a week and a bit (bottled 19/07), which one can expect with these winter temps. Similar to the Killer Hop - but with a 'sweeter' taste. Whereas the Killer hop leans more lemons .. th EPA leans more oranges.

I'm sure to have some tomorrow. Possibly post a picture.

Nice! Might give it a go then as I liked the killer hop.
                    Thanks

Comment

• A bit of a late start today.. Brewing the Guinness draught clone today with a planned OG of 1.042.

I grinded the roasted barley sepperately (thx Snyper) from the pale malt and chit flakes to as fine as the food processor would go but not overdoing it, then added the roasted flour to the mash tun 15minutes after the pale malt lot. The aroma that came from it was amazing.

Then I had a thought while I was drinking my filter coffee.. the coffee was cold from the pot earlier this morning .. so I microwaved it .. but the coffee was not tasting as smooth as the fresh batch earlier.. I guess it's what one calls - after it's been microwaved, astringency.. a kak-isch bitter taste - or rather not as nice as the fresh brew.

So!! with that assumption I presume that coffee doesn't like to be heated for a second time .. but like-wise coffee that has been in the pot, on heat, for a hour, also doesn't taste that great. The same logic should be valid for roasted barley .. right?

Next time I'm making a stout I'll mash the roasted barley flour with some pale malt in a sepperate batch than the main batch pale and chit. Then add the roasted batch 10minutes from the end of the boil.
                      AlexBrew
                      Last edited by AlexBrew; 1 August 2021, 15:49.

Comment

• ^ that's what some brewers do yes ... the do a "cold" mash with the darker malts and only add it to the wort close to the end of the boil.

Comment

• Indeed, Roasted barley (and a lot of other roasted or caramelised malt) does not need to be mashed. You can just steep it separately if you wish to do so, and add it to the boil. Although I have never done it this way.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            ^ that's what some brewers do yes ... the do a "cold" mash with the darker malts and only add it to the wort close to the end of the boil.
                            I will be doing something like that next time.

Comment

• What are you brewing?

I mashed the roasted barley in my clone, tasted fine… will it make such a difference?

I made a Wit today, based on a few Hoegaarden clones. Holding thumbs!
                              PaBz0r
                              Last edited by PaBz0r; 1 August 2021, 19:41.

Comment

• I mashed the roasted barley in my clone, tasted fine… will it make such a difference?

Not a problem. I have always doen it this way.
                                They do so If you add towords the end of boil you will get a smoother taste.
                                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                                X