This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Voss was the only kveik I ever tried, so I think it's just fair to give Oslo a shot as well. If Oslo sucks, I'll go back to my tried and trusted yeasts. I'm honestly just curious, that's the only reason why. I'm very happy with the yeasts I've come to know and love so far, so there's really not much reason for me to change other than "I'm bored".

Just curious wouldnt Nottingham be a great "oslo" alternative? Also a beast from what I read, super neutral beast. Obviously you cant hit 35 deg but a fast fermentation at controlled temps.

Comment

I would rather use Voss in a beer that'll destroy the yeast profile, like an IPA, to be honest. I didn't enjoy Voss in the beers I made with it. Tasted quite yeasty and bready, and not in the good way.
      Ditto that.
      Though made a good Stout with it .. Foreighn Extra Stout

Comment

...... so there's really not much reason for me to change other than "I'm bored".
        Uh Oh.. I remember the last time a brewer got bored... duck and cover!

Comment

• Pitched the yeast on my Belgian Smoked and Oaked Blonde. I didn't taste any smoke from the OG sample. I think 350gr beechwood smoked malt may not have been enough. Will see what it does in the next week.

If it comes down to it I will add some liquid smoke to the keg.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
            Each to his own. Do not like Oslo, overated in my opinion.
            Why Oslo specific ? So far it's my go-to kveik yeast. It works great for Lager/Pilsner styles, so it's perfect for warmer summer weather.

I've dumped all the Voss I had though ... will never give that a go again ... that orange flavour isn't for me.

So far I've done Ale, Stout and Pilsner with Oslo, and she is more than welcome in this brewery
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Why Oslo specific ? So far it's my go-to kveik yeast. It works great for Lager/Pilsner styles, so it's perfect for warmer summer weather.

I've dumped all the Voss I had though ... will never give that a go again ... that orange flavour isn't for me.

So far I've done Ale, Stout and Pilsner with Oslo, and she is more than welcome in this brewery

I do not have an issue with the flavour profile but find it does not flocculate as well as other yeasts I have used and needs more time for it so settle.
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Next brew. German Helles Exportbier

Helles.jpg
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Today

Image1.jpg

Comment

• So I did a kolsch yesterday, felt like the day went very well. Perfect target volume, it literally stopped at 22l.

Question.

My OG target was 1046, I pitched yeast at 21.5 C, and also some wort into my test tube. The hydrometer read 1042, I left it in there. Today it reads 1044. Should I go with the reading at time of pitch, or today would be more accurate after settling to room temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
                      So I did a kolsch yesterday, felt like the day went very well. Perfect target volume, it literally stopped at 22l.

Question.

My OG target was 1046, I pitched yeast at 21.5 C, and also some wort into my test tube. The hydrometer read 1042, I left it in there. Today it reads 1044. Should I go with the reading at time of pitch, or today would be more accurate after settling to room temp?

think 1.044 is a better assumption

EDIT: SG will only going down from there .. not up
                      AlexBrew
                      Last edited by AlexBrew; 8 August 2021, 20:21.

Comment

• IPA time today to test out my newly modified keg fermenter!

Just finished mashing this recipe from Scott Janish that gets lots of good reviews online! Quinoa is a bit of a weird one, but he seems to know what he's on about!

http://scottjanish.com/west-coast-ipa-recipe-2/

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                          IPA time today to test out my newly modified keg fermenter!

Just finished mashing this recipe from Scott Janish that gets lots of good reviews online! Quinoa is a bit of a weird one, but he seems to know what he's on about!

http://scottjanish.com/west-coast-ipa-recipe-2/
                          Nice reading material. I will def try his recipes..
                          Quinoa - as I read, it add more protein - helps with head retention apparently.. but then don't expect clear beer.
                          Though if he wins competitions, then it must be good .. ?

Comment

So I did a kolsch yesterday, felt like the day went very well. Perfect target volume, it literally stopped at 22l.

Question.

The bigger question from my side: "Why the need to mess with this the next day by taking another reading/sample?"

LOS DIE FERMENTER ALLEEN

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              The bigger question from my side: "Why the need to mess with this the next day by taking another reading/sample?"

LOS DIE FERMENTER ALLEEN
                              The hydrometer was/is in the test tube with wort...

Comment

The hydrometer was/is in the test tube with wort...

Aah ok, get you ... Only explanation for that is that the test tube sample warmed up ... was that possible?

Comment

Working...
                                X