This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
    Personally find that beerguerva's dark candi sugar adds nice notes of plum but agree with others doubles and dark belgian strongs have the best taste for me.

Biscuit and special b are the most unique crystal malt ive ever used.
    BeerGuevara are out of Special B at the moment .. I think want to add that to my double recipe.. so I'll wait till that's back in stock, then buy it and brew my double.. somme get a 25kgs Maris Otter too.. I like my stouts, a lot of stout recipes call for Maris Otter .. possibly brew some English style bitters and brown ales with that too..

Comment

• https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/s...w-1kg/2657/166

Ive used this came out same same, but if you are not in a hurry keep it authentic and get the special B

Comment

• Yeast expiry date has forced my hand, stirring up WLP530 Abbey Ale, I have Carabelge I need to use, so was thinking Pils/Maris Otter/Caramunich II/Carabelge

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
          BeerGuevara are out of Special B at the moment .. I think want to add that to my double recipe.. so I'll wait till that's back in stock, then buy it and brew my double.. somme get a 25kgs Maris Otter too.. I like my stouts, a lot of stout recipes call for Maris Otter .. possibly brew some English style bitters and brown ales with that too..
          Many stores pta side discontinuing it I got 5kg to store for "special" beeers

Comment

• You could make your own roasted malts. I have done it many times.

In a pot add 1kg uncrushed pale malt.

Add enough water to just cover the grains.

Heat the mixture to 68C – 70C for one hour.

Preheat oven to 120C. (A thermofan oven is prefered)

Drain the grains and spread on baking tray. Less than 2 cm deep.

Place tray in oven for about 2 hours, till grains are dry. Stir the malts evey 20 - 30 min

When grains are dry you should have a light crystal malt around 25 EBC.

Heat oven to 180C.

15 minutes in oven gives a light medium crystal malt of about 80 EBC

30 minutes in oven gives a medium crystal malt of about 160 EBC

60 minutes in oven gives a dark crystal malt of about 300 EBC
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• This very special Belgian dark malt, is obtained through specific double roasting process. This malt can be used to produce a deep red to dark brown-black colour and full body in your homebrew. With unique flavour and aroma Special B adds colour and imparts a rich malty taste with hints of nut, plum and raisin-like flavour. A great substitute for Chocolate and Black malt if bitterness is not desired. Subtle in abbey ales, dubbels, porters, brown ales, and doppelbocks.

Gonna need a few tries to get this right. It isnt like normal crystal malt. It is indeed a very special belgium malt.

Without it and biscuit I wouldnt even attempt a dubbel.

But thanks for explaining the process I want to attempt making my own for a type of smash ale with all three types of crystal malt you listed above, should be fun

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/s...w-1kg/2657/166

Ive used this came out same same, but if you are not in a hurry keep it authentic and get the special B
                Thx.. will see how desperate I get closer to Double brew day.. for now I have the Duvel Tripel Hop clone, bottled this morning. I cold crashed it for 4 days without gelatine, the added gelatine to the bottling bucket (as I did with my SAPA).. anyway quick summary of the SGs .. expected OG 1.088 - actual 1.084 THEN !! apparent attenuation for the HG Trappist is 75 - 80%, using 80% calcs to 1.018 - which I knew was not going to happen and once done ended up at 1.002 .. 97.6% attenuation, now at a lovely 10.7 % abv without priming sugar - so lets guess 11%+ entering the Trappist Quad range .. Duvel Quad Hop.
                20210927_Duvel1002.jpg

Comment

• @BeerHolic (reply w Quote not working) .. Thx for that explanation but tbh will rather wait for Special B to arrive, else Special W .. I don't have an oven anyway .
                  I have a convection microwave - but this will take some experimenting to get the EBC's right .. though good to know that something like this can be done at home .. if need be.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                  This very special Belgian dark malt, is obtained through specific double roasting process. This malt can be used to produce a deep red to dark brown-black colour and full body in your homebrew. With unique flavour and aroma Special B adds colour and imparts a rich malty taste with hints of nut, plum and raisin-like flavour. A great substitute for Chocolate and Black malt if bitterness is not desired. Subtle in abbey ales, dubbels, porters, brown ales, and doppelbocks.

Gonna need a few tries to get this right. It isnt like normal crystal malt. It is indeed a very special belgium malt.

Without it and biscuit I wouldnt even attempt a dubbel.

But thanks for explaining the process I want to attempt making my own for a type of smash ale with all three types of crystal malt you listed above, should be fun
                  What I'm looking for..

Comment

• WoW, 11% ...she's a keeper

Try keep a few for a few years.
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Duvel brewery claim they do a 2 week carbing period of 24C, then store away for 6 weeks for conditioning .. think at 5C before dispatching for sale.. so yea .. I'll be hiding them away hoping to forget about them for the mean time..

Comment

• Yea, i suppose since its "hoppy" you want to drink it within those times, but keep 1 or 2 for a year+ to see how the hops and high abv treat each other
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          Yea, i suppose since its "hoppy" you want to drink it within those times, but keep 1 or 2 for a year+ to see how the hops and high abv treat each other
                          Yes .. will keep it for long.. it's not a beer that you can drink a lot of at once anyway..

Comment

• Lol having a six pack at a go of a 11% beer could end badly

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'll be brewing this one tomorrow .. I've got 2kgs of 'fragrant' rice and planning to boil it all up when I start the strike water batch, then add it to the the mash when I can 'match' the rice and mash water temps.. will need to do some calibration thinking there.
                              JRL.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                                I'll be brewing this one tomorrow .. I've got 2kgs of 'fragrant' rice and planning to boil it all up when I start the strike water batch, then add it to the the mash when I can 'match' the rice and mash water temps.. will need to do some calibration thinking there.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3640[/ATTACH]
                                Careful with your rice selection, make sure its rice and not this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLOfOCJtiig

Comment

Working...
                                X