This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

25 grams hops does not seem much, but your choice, plus how can the AA be the same for 60, 30 and 5 minute additions ?.
    the AA is the Hop's value not what they have contributed, check IBU mentioned after the Hop name at the beginning

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
      It's been a very long time since I have brewed something. I am planning to remedy that this weekend with a SMaSH brew using the Belma hop i was after. Although I will be adding a little Dextrin malt for head retention, so I guess technically not a SMaSH, but it soes not add any flavour etc.

The recipe might be tweaked a bit during the week, but i doubt that i will

I've never used Lallemand yeast before, always opted for US-05, but I think it will be good. Any beer is better than no beer.

Maybe I will make the pension eaters clean their mess and post a pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I would move the 30 to 10 and the 5 to 0. The 30 min is not going to add any noticeable hop character and the Belgian yeast will mask a lot of hop flavour and aroma. You went trough a lot of effort to get the Belma hops, make it shine

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

25 grams hops does not seem much, but your choice, plus how can the AA be the same for 60, 30 and 5 minute additions ?.
        Are we blonde today?

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maputo_Brew View Post

In your kveik experience, does it retain the aromas? the 2 times i tried it didn't. Maybe the amount was low. It was around 20-30grams.
          20 - 30 grams probably isn't going to give you much aroma in my experience unless it's a subtle beer. In my Kveiking experince I found better aroma/flavour for the same amount of hops in a whirlpool. I therefore stopped dry hoping and do mostly whirl pool at it is a better utilization of the hops in my opinion. I can't compare to a 'normal' yeast as I never get the right temps for normal yeast to give it a shot. I have just dry hopped a grapefruit IPA I've brewed and the aroma in the fermenter is great, was about 45g centennial and 10g cryo cascade. We'll see what it is like when it get's into the keg, but I left this one until fermentation was basically done then dry hopped for ~5 days ish.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

Are we blonde today?
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
              I would move the 30 to 10 and the 5 to 0. The 30 min is not going to add any noticeable hop character and the Belgian yeast will mask a lot of hop flavour and aroma. You went trough a lot of effort to get the Belma hops, make it shine

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
              Thanks
              Harhm
              Harhm will change to your suggestion what yeast do you suggest? I normally use us-05, will check your recommendation and if i can find it before Saturday, otherwise i will redo this again on the next batch with the belma

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post

20 - 30 grams probably isn't going to give you much aroma in my experience unless it's a subtle beer. In my Kveiking experince I found better aroma/flavour for the same amount of hops in a whirlpool. I therefore stopped dry hoping and do mostly whirl pool at it is a better utilization of the hops in my opinion. I can't compare to a 'normal' yeast as I never get the right temps for normal yeast to give it a shot. I have just dry hopped a grapefruit IPA I've brewed and the aroma in the fermenter is great, was about 45g centennial and 10g cryo cascade. We'll see what it is like when it get's into the keg, but I left this one until fermentation was basically done then dry hopped for ~5 days ish.
              Thanks @hopingmadinZam

I only ordered 50g as a test, so split them equally to do two batches, will check how it comes out and either duplicate or combine with another hop next time around.

Comment

• Southern English Brown Ale busy crashing and will be bottled Monday this is what we have so far. Its 3.8% which is what you want for its style its a malty delicious brown ale. Its a rare beer style so this is one of the joys of home brew bringing it to life in SA. I am carbing at 1.5-1.6 vol to mimic cask conditioned ale.

For those who havent noticed, I have a thing for malty british ales!

seb.png seb1.png

This is a better description of what it tastes like.

Aroma​

Malty-sweet, often with a rich, caramel or toffee-like character. Moderately fruity, often with notes of dark fruits such as plums and/or raisins. Very low to no hop aroma.

Appearance​

Light to dark brown, and can be almost black. Nearly opaque, although should be relatively clear if visible. Low to moderate off-white to tan head.

I have made sure mine is ultra clear. Its almost black but in the right light dark clear brown.

Flavor​

Deep, caramel- or toffee-like malty sweetness on the palate and lasting into the finish. Hints of biscuit and coffee are common. May have a moderate dark fruit complexity. Low hop bitterness. Hop flavor is low to non-existent. Little or no perceivable roasty or bitter black malt flavor. Moderately sweet finish with a smooth, malty aftertaste. Low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel​

Medium body, but the residual sweetness may give a heavier impression. Low to moderately low carbonation. Quite creamy and smooth in texture, particularly for its gravity.

Overall Impression​

A luscious, malt-oriented brown ale, with a caramel, dark fruit complexity of malt flavor. May seem somewhat like a smaller version of a sweet stout or a sweet version of a dark mild.

Comments​

Increasingly rare; Mann’s has over 90% market share in Britain. Some consider it a bottled version of dark mild, but this style is sweeter than virtually all modern examples of mild.

The commercial version

1656942375832.png

Comment

• Brittish ales are great, especialy bitters on tap.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• +1 on the Bitters on Tap.

I made one in April and man oh man it didn't last long. Why do corney's only come in 19L!?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
                      It's been a very long time since I have brewed something. I am planning to remedy that this weekend with a SMaSH brew using the Belma hop i was after. Although I will be adding a little Dextrin malt for head retention, so I guess technically not a SMaSH, but it soes not add any flavour etc.

The recipe might be tweaked a bit during the week, but i doubt that i will

I've never used Lallemand yeast before, always opted for US-05, but I think it will be good. Any beer is better than no beer.

Maybe I will make the pension eaters clean their mess and post a pic

This is dine and fermenting away.

Ended up moving 30min addition to 10min & 5min to 0. Also decided to use all the Belma I had
                      To make 15g at 60min, 15g at 10mins and 20g at zero.

Used the belgian yeast, cant wait for the first sample.

Comment

• Lads,

Anyone has a trusted Belgian Blonde recipe? Im thinking that in these cold days I can brew one without temp control.

Last time i brewed my wort was sitting at 18-22c.

Comment

Lads,

Anyone has a trusted Belgian Blonde recipe? Im thinking that in these cold days I can brew one without temp control.

Last time i brewed my wort was sitting at 18-22c.
                          Read THIS and then design your own off of the info ... DON'T copy the supplied recipe
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I had read that article and a few others, plus im also reading brew like a monk.

I will KISS it and not throw in the abbey, carabelge, caraamber, pilsen, wheat malts and sugar.

Comment

I had read that article and a few others, plus im also reading brew like a monk.

I will KISS it and not throw in the abbey, carabelge, caraamber, pilsen, wheat malts and sugar.
                              Belgian blondes are very yeast driven styles, unless you using belgian yeasts kveik will not cut it here. But without temp control you can do it now with cooler weather
                              Snyper564
                              Last edited by Snyper564; 5 July 2022, 15:14.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                                Why do corney's only come in 19L!?!?
                                Sankeys come up to 50l... :P

Comment

Working...
                                X