This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

I'm using sublime for bittering in my APA's - quite happy with the results there.

I have thought about pairing SPassion with an American hop - say 75% SP and 25 Simcoe / Cascade or Centennial. Any known combinations that work ?

Found this interesting link:
    https://www.beer-analytics.com/hops/...thern-passion/
    look here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRzpj4m6uwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UtUccdqHPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Wl8J1E4lQ

Comment

I'm using sublime for bittering in my APA's - quite happy with the results there.

I have thought about pairing SPassion with an American hop - say 75% SP and 25 Simcoe / Cascade or Centennial. Any known combinations that work ?

Found this interesting link:
      https://www.beer-analytics.com/hops/...thern-passion/
      Done Southern Passion and Cascade. For me it works very well
      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Thx. Think will use straight SPassion then. That Chinese dude convinced me with the DIPA

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

Done Southern Passion and Cascade. For me it works very well
          I got some T90 blend, Nugget, cascade, mandarina, mellon, S. Aroma, S. Passion, Smaragd, S. Promise.

Which combo could go well on a 4-5% blonde?

Comment

Thx. Think will use straight SPassion then. That Chinese dude convinced me with the DIPA
            Do you really want to base your decision making on a 5 year old YouTube video of a Chinese dude

I'm with BeerHolic - S.Passion does pair well with Cascade also read this.

Keep in mind that hops do differ slightly from year to year - The S.Passion that we bought in 2019 was better than the ones bought in 2020/1 but seem to be back to better quality again. I brewed with a new packet of Saaz the past weekend that was very muddled ito aroma vs. an other packet of Saaz that I opened from a different supplier (so there is that also)

The best aroma/flavour descriptors of hops is not the ones on the packet or the www its in the hops that you are holding in your hand that counts the most rub it smell it, compare it with the other hops you have and pair them to your taste - chances are good if you like what you experience in your hand you will like it in your beer

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Did a cascade smash recently, the grainfather overflow filter working like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
                Did a cascade smash recently, the grainfather overflow filter working like a dream.
                Wheat? Rice hulls? I was forced to use it once before, can't remember what the story was (crush or wheat), but find mostly can run flat out without it

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                  Do you really want to base your decision making on a 5 year old YouTube video of a Chinese dude

I'm with BeerHolic - S.Passion does pair well with Cascade also read this.

Keep in mind that hops do differ slightly from year to year - The S.Passion that we bought in 2019 was better than the ones bought in 2020/1 but seem to be back to better quality again. I brewed with a new packet of Saaz the past weekend that was very muddled ito aroma vs. an other packet of Saaz that I opened from a different supplier (so there is that also)

The best aroma/flavour descriptors of hops is not the ones on the packet or the www its in the hops that you are holding in your hand that counts the most rub it smell it, compare it with the other hops you have and pair them to your taste - chances are good if you like what you experience in your hand you will like it in your beer
                  You have a point there.. Chinese synonymous with a virus..
                  I'll try the hop rubbing. Seen it on YT .. never tried it myself. Top tip. Thx

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post

To true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maputo_Brew View Post

I got some T90 blend, Nugget, cascade, mandarina, mellon, S. Aroma, S. Passion, Smaragd, S. Promise.

Which combo could go well on a 4-5% blonde?
                      For a blonde, personally I would go Cascade or Passion or a combination .
                      T90 I have only ever used for bittering.
                      Never used any of the other mentioned hops in a blonde.

Comment

• Thx oukes..
                        Think will brew a SPassion/Cascade PA. 2..3 weeks time.
                        Have a Mean Brews Corn Rice Cream Ale in fermenters currently .. met mittlefrue. Maybe this will be my pseudo pale beer substitute ? This with BY Labs Cali ale yeast..
                        Maybe Cream ale with kolsch yeast ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maputo_Brew View Post

I would go Passion and Sublime.
                          I'll use sublime for bittering

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post

Wheat? Rice hulls? I was forced to use it once before, can't remember what the story was (crush or wheat), but find mostly can run flat out without it
                            I think it was only launched in SA like 2 weeks ago. Worked really well for me.

https://youtu.be/idLcwK3_2PU

Comment

• ^ I've seen (On YT) so many brewers that actually stopped using the top screen filters on these all-in-one units. If I owned a GF I myself would never have used a top screen ... makes no sense really.
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I used rice hulls for the first time in my previous brew and was amazed by the increased filterability of the wort. Could run the circulation pump full throttle for the first time ever and sparging was MUCH quicker.

Will definitely use it in future again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X