X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maputo_Brew View Post
    Just a question:

Is hop taste supposed to disappear fast?

Did a pseudo lager with Lutra and 50g of cascade aroma stand (80c for 60 min). Between days 10-15 of conditioning it tasted amazing.

On day 22 tried one and did not get the same great flavors/aromas.

They have been in the fridge for 5 days.

Should i have gone for 100g cascade on hop stand or maybe add the 2nd 50g on dry hop?

Trying to tune as this has the potential to become my go to easy drinking beer.
    Hop aroma is very sensitive to oxidation. Unless you working under pressure for the most part hop aromas will go pretty quickly others with more experience please jump in here.

There are some styles like NEIPA that I didnt touch until I got a pressure fermenter because of this.

Comment

Could the choc or victory malt be replaced with black malt or roasted barley? I have all the other ingredients minus that and of course the yeast. will go Lutra.
      I would go for something like

55% - Vienna
      27% - Pilsner
      12% - Munich Light
      5% - CaraMunich II (Still deciding if I should decrease, replace with base or leave as is)
      1% - Black

You can play around with the percentages especially the Pilsner and Munich light.
      More Munich will increase bready / nutty notes, with Pilsner adding sweet notes.
      Traditionally Vienna lager leans more towards toast / bready.
      So possibly increase Munich and decrease Pilsner, it all depends on your taste preference.
      Black is used mostly for colour.
      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post

Hop aroma is very sensitive to oxidation. Unless you working under pressure for the most part hop aromas will go pretty quickly others with more experience please jump in here.

There are some styles like NEIPA that I didnt touch until I got a pressure fermenter because of this.
        So basically best to forego the hop stand and start working more with 15-10-5-0 minute additions?

My beer is definitely not oxidized, but i understand your comment.
        Maputo_Brew
        Last edited by Maputo_Brew; 26 October 2022, 11:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

I would go for something like

55% - Vienna
          27% - Pilsner
          12% - Munich Light
          5% - CaraMunich II (Still deciding if I should decrease, replace with base or leave as is)
          1% - Black

You can play around with the percentages especially the Pilsner and Munich light.
          More Munich will increase bready / nutty notes, with Pilsner adding sweet notes.
          Traditionally Vienna lager leans more towards toast / bready.
          So possibly increase Munich and decrease Pilsner, it all depends on your taste preference.
          Black is used mostly for colour.
          Thanks. Will definitely give it a try. Its the next on the brew list.

Comment

So basically best to forego the hop stand and start working more with 15-10-5-0 minute additions?

TBH I would just try and experiment and see. keep good notes on both

Comment

It's not so much the hop stand, it's the exposure to oxygen after fermentation, ie during bottling/kegging that is the problem. Thar's why people have been leaning more towards pressure vessels and closed transfers during kegging, especially with hoppy beers- to minimise exposure to oxygen.

Comment

Thanks. Will definitely give it a try. Its the next on the brew list.
                what hops you going to use. I have brewed this beer twice once with Hallertau Hersbrucker and once with Southern Aroma. I preferred the Aroma.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

what hops you going to use. I have brewed this beer twice once with Hallertau Hersbrucker and once with Southern Aroma. I preferred the Aroma.
                  Going with Aroma. What was your hop schedule?

Comment

Going with Aroma. What was your hop schedule?
                    As noted above its not all about the hop schedule etc once beer is ferementing and fermented you have to be ultra careful especially with bottling as it introducing a lot of oxygen.

Comment

As noted above its not all about the hop schedule etc once beer is ferementing and fermented you have to be ultra careful especially with bottling as it introducing a lot of oxygen.
                      Noted, will definitely try my best to do it all as closed as possible with the fermenting and bottling bucket.

But this is a second discussion, im asking for his hopping schedule with southern aroma hops on a Vienna lager.

Comment

• Aight, so I couldn't wait. It seems like with my stint of no brewing, my impatience returned. I kegged my beer on Wednesday and force carbed it that same day. Shook the keg a little, set pressure to 30PSI overnight and yesterday morning I turned the pressure down to 10 PSI to sit for the day. I then had a taste.

Beer is VERY green, as is expected after around 10 days since pitching yeast, but it's nice. Hoppy, dry, and carbed well by now. I think the other fermenter that's still conditioning on yeast a bit is going to be good!

Comment

Sweet! Keep an eye out for their limited releases too
                          Got hold of the Weiss (which is a limited edition) and it's fantastic! IMHO it's the best SA made Weiss I've ever had - and I've tried everything I could find.
                          Going to get myself a case of these babies next week!

I wonder if they will share the recipe like they did the Killer Hop? Who here knows the owner/brewer there(i seem to remember reading a post a while about about someone chatting to him)?
                          Perhaps you could put me in touch or ask him about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post

Got hold of the Weiss (which is a limited edition) and it's fantastic! IMHO it's the best SA made Weiss I've ever had - and I've tried everything I could find.

I wonder if they will share the recipe like they did the Killer Hop? Who here knows the owner/brewer there(i seem to remember reading a post a while about about someone chatting to him)?
                            Oooh must try get some - I have Eben on whatsapp so I might just reach out to him on that :P

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post

Good idea, we were at Draymans the other day and I specifically asked Moritz about his Weiss recipe, he said the grain bill is pretty simple (60|40 split or 50|50 split), but he does step his fermentation temperature, he starts out at 16 and finish on 22. That is certainly somewhere where I have gone wrong in the past - stuck it on one temperature and hope for the best. Something to bear in mind when making your next Weiss.

Comment

• Brewing happily, plenty of beers, do not need to purchase.
                                Maybe I must brew a Weiss or Wit again.
                                Brewed a Weiss a few months ago with plenty of Centennial hops, was delicious.
                                A Weiss with plenty of hops, not a Weiss anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X