This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    I strongly STRONGLY suggest you at least read the instructions with the brewing kit.
    I did, the instructions said to boil 3 litres of water and add the boiling water to the fermentor, then add the 3kg of extract and stir to dissolve, and then top up to 23 litre mark with water. So the instruction called for it to be dissolved in 3 litres of water, which is why I thought boiling it in 6 litres would be fine.....I was clearly wrong.

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    Secondly, get a decent version of brewing software.
    I have beersmith 2 and used to to estimate the final gravity, estimated at 1.054, and ended up being 1.052 so not to far off. Would brewing sofware have given me an indication that my boil volume was to low?

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    EDIT: Thirdly, maybe John Palmers book How To Brew. It's free as a PDF download.
    Read John palmer as well as some other books, still missed the extract to boil volume ratio part though

Comment

• Tonight I'm showing some friends the ropes in basic brewing.
      Special B brown ale. Only got simcoe, but not in the mood for ipa type beer so will keep it to the minimum.5gr i think.pearle would have been ideal.

Comment

• Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
        Tonight I'm showing some friends the ropes in basic brewing.
        Special B brown ale. Only got simcoe, but not in the mood for ipa type beer so will keep it to the minimum.5gr i think.pearle would have been ideal.
        add it early, the aromatics will be boiled off by the end of 60 minutes

Should leave some resin and fruit behind but that's OK

Comment

• Thanks! Will do.

Comment

• Originally posted by DR_Beer View Post
            Read John palmer as well as some other books, still missed the extract to boil volume ratio part though
            See page 9 "Making Wort". I have not read the whole page again, but it seems to cover the important bits.

Comment

• I have beersmith 2 and used to to estimate the final gravity, estimated at 1.054, and ended up being 1.052 so not to far off. Would brewing sofware have given me an indication that my boil volume was to low?

YES. Did you check the fluid volume tab?

They aren't there as a story book, they are REFERENCE SOURCES: you need to go back to them to properly read the stuff you skimmed the first time.

Comment

• Originally posted by DR_Beer View Post
                I did, the instructions said to boil 3 litres of water and add the boiling water to the fermentor, then add the 3kg of extract and stir to dissolve, and then top up to 23 litre mark with water. So the instruction called for it to be dissolved in 3 litres of water, which is why I thought boiling it in 6 litres would be fine.....I was clearly wrong.
                If only you followed the instructions you would have been a much happier man .... It seems to have been "pre-hopped" kit, so no need for boiling. But relax, next time it will go better and Im sure this brew will turn out fine.
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Brewing a rooiboss saison today. First A.G recipe I designed so hope it comes out okay. Well will know in 4 weeks. The brew went well at least!
                  Kit: 50L SAB keggle used with BIAB, gas burner

Primary: Sierra Nevada Pale ale clone
                  Secondary: Weiss by Brand Smith
                  Conditioning: none
                  Bottled and Drunk: Wee Heavy, Darth Vader Black IPA, Saison, an much more

Comment

• Nothing. Because a new client has us working weekends to meet a deadline.

All because another company can't export data.

I am livid and tipsy. Drinking helps to calm the murderous intentions as I spend most of my weekend coding and not brewing

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Bottled a Pilsner http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewreci...oppy-for-style and a Oktoberfest from Brewing calssic styles the past weekend. Waiting for a Blond and a IPA to carbonate.
                      Havent decided but I thins my next batch will be something crisp and fresh for summer drinking, hopefully it will be ready for new years.
                      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                        hmmm. american pilsner, eh? interesting. first time i've heard of amarillo gold...

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                          hmmm. american pilsner, eh? interesting. first time i've heard of amarillo gold...
                          Some time ago I brewed what I call my Maori Pilsner, partly because it is dark through using a bit of self-roasted pilsner grain and only a pilsner malt grain bill, but also because the only hops I used in it were Motueka from New Zealand.

It was so damn good that I brewed it a second time, with the exact same results.
                          Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

• Today I will be bottling an ale made with 50/50 whisky malt grain and 2-row, fermented with whisky yeast. The nose and flavours of the wort were amazing, so I am really looking forward to what the final brew tastes like.

I brewed it for Christmas, so hoping it will be worth the wait...
                            Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

• Originally posted by StevenD (Slainthe) View Post
                              Today I will be bottling an ale made with 50/50 whisky malt grain and 2-row, fermented with whisky yeast. The nose and flavours of the wort were amazing, so I am really looking forward to what the final brew tastes like.

I brewed it for Christmas, so hoping it will be worth the wait...
                              That's going to be pretty dry.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                                That's going to be pretty dry.
                                Time will tell, I suppose...
                                Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Working...
                                X