This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    Stripping run on the whiskey mash today, stripped the clean spirit for gin yesterday. Next weekend will be spirit runs for both.
    [ATTACH]2255[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Whiskeys in the jar, let the aging begin. Managed to finish before eskom shat itself. Washed the still last night and realized I had the neck on too tight, that's where I lost half my batch last time around. Rookie mistake. Still got a bottle and a half at 40% on some french oak. Looking forward to try it in around 6 months from now. On another note, I'm kegging my Skare pseudo Pilsner tonight.

Comment

Thickest krausen I've seen so far, heaps of yeast crop from the top which was replenished in around an hour
      Did you do a yeast cell count before cropping and again after a hour?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Yeah, counted them by hand. More friends arrived

Comment

Thickest krausen I've seen so far, heaps of yeast crop from the top which was replenished in around an hour. Amazing stuff. Can't wait to keg this. Anyone here have a recommendation on a temp controlled food dehydrator starting from 30C or lower? Might just flange one together with a hangabout stc a few fans and a heatsource. Keen to propogate all my gen (1) to me kveiks and dry them out for ease of storage.
          I think you just described a Biltong maker. Yay, ftw, new hobby
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• I have a biltong maker somewhere, in pieces ,can't remember if it had trays. That cheap commercial one...mellerware, salton? Could work now that you mention it

Comment

Yeah, counted them by hand. More friends arrived

Sorry I asked what I thought was a ligitamite questions ito the actual/potential yeast growth rate of Kveik.

If this is the type of answers I can expect from you Ill again rather ask somebody else next time.Thanks anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Have you counted yeast Harhm? How did you do it without lab gear? I'm not sure where you were heading, but I'll flip the question back to you and would appreciate a legitimate response. As a homebrewer, how do you count your yeast?

Comment

• Will brew a plain blonde Monday, and might try another gruit this weekend if nothing goes wrong.
                  Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                  Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Gruit you say, what are you planning? I've never done one, so keen to hear more.

I'm doing a bourbon mash this weekend, reiterated and planning on on 1.114 or thereabouts. 11kgs total which consists of corn, 2 row, wheat and a touch of rye.

Hoping to squeeze out a pale ale with some galaxy and summit or something something thereafter.

Comment

• the one I'm brewing is from a brewing book I read a while ago, can't remember if it was Radical Brewing or Sacred and Herbal healing beers, but it uses lavender, chamomile and lemonbalm instead of hops with a standard pale ale grain bill (though I have found adding a gram of hops just makes it a bit better).
                      It tastes a bit different, but not unpleasant. kinda like George Washington's small beer, it is beer, but not beer at the same time.
                      Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      Gruit you say, what are you planning? I've never done one, so keen to hear more.

I'm doing a bourbon mash this weekend, reiterated and planning on on 1.114 or thereabouts. 11kgs total which consists of corn, 2 row, wheat and a touch of rye.

Hoping to squeeze out a pale ale with some galaxy and summit or something something thereafter.

Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• I never got around to brew that pale ale last weekend, I'm sitting on so endeavour hops I got via a hop swop with a fellow brewer and was thinking to do a English golden ale instead. Has anyone done a brew with endeavour before? I have some maris and crystal to go according to style and might just use S04 on this one.

I found some notes;

Flavour and Aroma

Complex blackcurrant, loganberry and spice notes best describe Endeavour's aroma, with a wonderful grapefruit and lime flavour. It is gentler than Cascade.

Characteristics

Blackcurrant, spicy, citrus.

Bittering Characteristics

With what's been brewed so far, well rounded and fruity is a good description of its bittering characteristics.

Comment

• Never even heard about endeavour hops
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Brewed my first saison a while ago, opened the first one yesterday, was only going to have one, ended up having 3.
                            Great beer.

3kg Pilsner
                            2kg Pale ale
                            0.75 kg Treacle sugar
                            0.5 Dark Wheat
                            0.5 Vienna
                            0.5 Flaked Oats

30g Souther star 60min
                            40g Southern Aroma 15min
                            30g Styrian golding 5min
                            20g Tettnanger Flameout

M31 yeast.
                            Fermentor volume 26 L
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Used to make pineapple beer often as a kid, so decided to give THIS a try yesterday.

OG came in at 1,073 on 23L batch

Used T58 yeast from a previous yeast cake ... was bubbling within 2Hrs of pitch

20200119_102945.jpg
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Nice one ! She's going to kick like a mule at that OG :-)

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                Used to make pineapple beer often as a kid, so decided to give THIS a try yesterday.

OG came in at 1,073 on 23L batch

Used T58 yeast from a previous yeast cake ... was bubbling within 2Hrs of pitch

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2261[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                                X