This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    I'd advise to not ferment a sugar wash for direct consumption, it should be distilled first ;-) It smells pretty grim after fermentation, no way I'd consume that

The seltzer sounds good though, you can find heaps of different food grade flavoring. a few calculators exist that you can use to check how much diluent you should add to be precise
    I've actually had some success fermenting a sugar wash using Ale Yeast such as US-05, if you make sure there's enough nutrients added you can actually get a surprisingly nice fruity base to make a drink from. But it's not really worth the effort though, not for something like this.

The Flavour Nation Flavouring is my go to, it's made right here in Cape Town, is all natural and they have an amazingly wide range, and I know the owner so...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
      <>

So I made a low calorie Strawberry and Lime Hard Seltzer, and yes I cheated a little by using Vodka instead of fermenting a sugar wash.

3 x 750ml Vodka (Use good Vodka)
      1 x 750ml Lime Cordial.
      2 x 20ml Flavour Nation Strawberry Flavouring
      400g Sugar or Sugar Substitute for Low Calories.
      20l Water

Makes about 23 liters

Fill a keg and give it a few days to carbonate.

<>
      Sounds Yummy

....and expensive .... Knowing the ladies they could kick a keg in one night
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Yesterdays what else can go wrong or can I screw up brew day, Hefe #2, looking comfy with that thick blanket!
        20201015_164539_2.jpg
        Before anyone says anything, yes i am open fermenting it

So I think i found out what caused my first attempt to burn, besides not stirring or circulating during the acid rest and ramp up to protein rest, my pilsner malt is crushed waaaaaay too fine.
        It was like bits of malt with flour. When i was done with the protein rest in my cooler and transfered to my urn, there was about 4-5 tablespoons worth of "Maizina" at the bottom. Thick, barely fluid white stuff.
        I bet that's the crap that stuck and burnt to my element lsat time

20201014_144810.jpg

The university of life is a bitch.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          That's what I want to do as well. Doesn't have to be that long, even 2.5m or so would be awesome. As long as it's rigid with a good downward slope it would be awesome. I want a similar coil, but with a steeper decline in the coils. Can you maybe check for me what it'll cost and he would be able to do it for me? He doesn't have to solder on fittings, I can do that myself.
          Sure can sort something out .. think biggest problem is logistics - Looks you in PTA I'm Northern Subbubs CPT. Maybe approach a local plumber in your area?

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
            Yesterdays what else can go wrong or can I screw up brew day, Hefe #2, looking comfy with that thick blanket!
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2718[/ATTACH]
            Before anyone says anything, yes i am open fermenting it [emoji14]

So I think i found out what caused my first attempt to burn, besides not stirring or circulating during the acid rest and ramp up to protein rest, my pilsner malt is crushed waaaaaay too fine.
            It was like bits of malt with flour. When i was done with the protein rest in my cooler and transfered to my urn, there was about 4-5 tablespoons worth of "Maizina" at the bottom. Thick, barely fluid white stuff.
            I bet that's the crap that stuck and burnt to my element lsat time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2719[/ATTACH]

The university of life is a bitch.
            Looks good, are you covering your fermentation vessel with muslin cloth or something to stop dust and insects from getting in?

Comment

• I had a sneaky taste of the APA I made a few weeks ago, it's still carbing up. I got rid of a bunch of hops, so no bittering additions. Citra,Chinook and Columbus on 5 minutes and Centennial and Simcoe in a dry hop. I must admit, this is one for the books. The simcoe zing rounds out the c-hops very well, yumm-oh.

Comment

• Im yet to try Simcoe hops.

Sounds like a good IPA hop?

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Im yet to try Simcoe hops.

Sounds like a good IPA hop?
                  Simcoe is unique, I do prefer it in a dry hop as it can be overpowering in the boil. I used 10g dh for this beer and its remarkable how potent that small amount is. Don't get me wrong, its a great hop!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                    Looks good, are you covering your fermentation vessel with muslin cloth or something to stop dust and insects from getting in?

no.. its inside my ferm fridge though. i had the lid on loosely fitted until the krausen started forming, then took it off.

When the krausen starts dropping, its back on with the lid and airlock.

Comment

• Someones going to ask eventually, so I will

Whats the reason you want to do it as open ferment?
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                        Someones going to ask eventually, so I will

Whats the reason you want to do it as open ferment?
                        It helps bring out Iso-amyl acetate (the “banana ester”) .

open fermentations have been found to stimulate both ester production and 4VG production in hefe-weizens fermented with a hefe-weizen specific yeast strain.
                        https://beerandwinejournal.com/german-wheat-beer-iv/

Comment

• Thats interesting. Did not know that.
                          And then on the opposite side of the scale they can do pressure ferment (I still want to try this) to reduce esters in general.
                          This hobby is amazing.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• It also helps reduce sulphur compounds being absorbed into the beer during primary fermentation, definitely worth it for certain types of beers

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                              It helps bring out Iso-amyl acetate (the “banana ester”) .

https://beerandwinejournal.com/german-wheat-beer-iv/
                              Interesting to know if this worked for you ... waiting on that tasting update

Comment

• This beer needs its own thread. Very interesting stuff

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X