Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corny kegs are easier to clean for sure

Comment

• Don't have money for fancy fermentation chamber at the moment. Anyone use reptile heating pad with fermentation? My house gets very cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
        Don't have money for fancy fermentation chamber at the moment. Anyone use reptile heating pad with fermentation? My house gets very cold.

that's pretty fancy. Yes I use an old fridge and reptile mat to manage my temps. when I started out I used a bucket, T-shirt and a fan aka Swamp cooler.

do you have an STC-1000 to make sure it doesn't get to hot, if you don't, I would skip it personally. my mat can get my fridge to high 30's without to much issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
          that's pretty fancy. Yes I use an old fridge and reptile mat to manage my temps. when I started out I used a bucket, T-shirt and a fan aka Swamp cooler.

do you have an STC-1000 to make sure it doesn't get to hot, if you don't, I would skip it personally. my mat can get my fridge to high 30's without to much issue.
          The heating pad is like R85 and uses 14 Watts. Don't think it would be very effective for 30 degrees.

No stc.

Comment

• You can use an electric blanket, wrap it around fermenter and wrap a blanket over the eletric blanket.
            I used to do this before I had a fermentation chamber, worked quite well.
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
              The heating pad is like R85 and uses 14 Watts. Don't think it would be very effective for 30 degrees.

No stc.

You would be surprised what can happen in an enclosed space. My pad is just loose in the fridge and can easily push the inside temp to 30C.

you also need to remember that fermentation is exothermic and will generate a substantial amount of heat at peak fermentation

if you just have it in a corner of the room or a cupboard then yes you are correct it wont easily get the space up to any substantial amount of temp, I then agree with beerholic an electric blanket that you can wrap around it would probably work better.

Comment

You would be surprised what can happen in an enclosed space. My pad is just loose in the fridge and can easily push the inside temp to 30C.

you also need to remember that fermentation is exothermic and will generate a substantial amount of heat at peak fermentation

if you just have it in a corner of the room or a cupboard then yes you are correct it wont easily get the space up to any substantial amount of temp, I then agree with beerholic an electric blanket that you can wrap around it would probably work better.
                How do you do that? I have a large reptile mat connected to the stc inside my fridge. It takes a long time to heat. Doubt I'll be able to push it to 30c especially overnight. I was actually thinking of getting an extra mat to ferment with some kviek.

Comment

• Some reptile mats have built in temp switches so your lizard doesn't cook[emoji23]

Comment

• Not saying it happens over night.

When I used to ferment with Voss I would stick my fermenter in a garbage can with the mat inside and I maintained a nice toasty 30C in my kitchen.

An extra mat would make it go faster.

I took a look my mat is rated for 30-40c? Not sure on the wattage.

As always YMMV

Comment

Not saying it happens over night.

When I used to ferment with Voss I would stick my fermenter in a garbage can with the mat inside and I maintained a nice toasty 30C in my kitchen.

An extra mat would make it go faster.

I took a look my mat is rated for 30-40c? Not sure on the wattage.

As always YMMV
                      We had loadshedding from 3-6am this morning. Temp dropped to 19c heating mat has been on and beer is only at 19.4c now nearly 5 hours later.
                      Yes ambient is warmer but it takes a good while to get the beer temp up. Much easier to cool than to heat.

Comment

• I use an electric blanket. I had an old one we didn't use, and it had two controllers, two sides. Cut it in half. One half is now in the fermentation chamber (chest freezer) and it goes to insane temps. The other half I use to ferment my distillates. One the highest setting it'll push the 50l keg to the mid to high 30's. On the lowest, it maintains around 25°C. Works even better on smaller fermenters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          I use an electric blanket. I had an old one we didn't use, and it had two controllers, two sides. Cut it in half. One half is now in the fermentation chamber (chest freezer) and it goes to insane temps. The other half I use to ferment my distillates. One the highest setting it'll push the 50l keg to the mid to high 30's. On the lowest, it maintains around 25°C. Works even better on smaller fermenters.
                          I have a couple of extension cables with sonoffs. An idea could just be to wrap the blanket and let it come on every 2 hours for 30 minutes or so. That should do the trick.

Comment

• I've also moved from reptile mat to electric blanket when I started using Kveik ... works way better and faster

As a PS: apparently the STC-1000's was replaced with the newer DTC-1200's

Screenshot_31.jpg
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              I've also moved from reptile mat to electric blanket when I started using Kveik ... works way better and faster [emoji106]

As a PS: apparently the STC-1000's was replaced with the newer DTC-1200's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3353[/ATTACH]
                              Just looked at a review of the DTC 1200. The functions are exactly the same as the STC 1000. Main difference is the looks and the fact that you get a 12v DC version.

I'm in need of something else. For example if setting temp to 20c I would like it to switch on fridge compressor 20.5 and off at 20.2 for example.
                              I find currently even if the compressor switches off at 20c it will overshoot and temp will head towards 19.5 and then switch the heater on. It causes to much swinging in temp.
                              If anyone knows of something like this let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                                I use an electric blanket. I had an old one we didn't use, and it had two controllers, two sides. Cut it in half. One half is now in the fermentation chamber (chest freezer) and it goes to insane temps. The other half I use to ferment my distillates. One the highest setting it'll push the 50l keg to the mid to high 30's. On the lowest, it maintains around 25°C. Works even better on smaller fermenters.
                                What's the power usage generally on these?

Comment

Working...
                                X