Is it stuck or just Sloooooow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it stuck or just Sloooooow

So I pitched S-23 (I know) into my latest brew this past Sunday and by Monday morning there was a yeast party going on - visibly vigorous fermentation with plenty bubbling going on on the air-lock. Yesterday, dead still in the airlock. I thought maybe the cupboard it was in was too warm for this strain (cupboard seems to hold at about 15 - 18 deg) and seeing as I haven't completed my ferm chamber yet I moved it to the garage which gets a lot cooler that the rest of the house. Checked again this morning and still nada in the airlock.

I'm hesitant to open up and take a sample to get a gravity reading but I suspect that is the only way to tell if it is stuck right?

Edit: Pitched directly into wort, no starter

Is your FV sealed/closed nicely?
    If you press down on the lid, does the airlock move/bubble?

Only thing I can think of here is that you have a leak. Unless the temp changed by some massive amount? (massive as in 5-10deg)

Comment

The airlock does move if I press gently on the cube but maybe there is a leak, I've not used this vessel before. Definitely no big temp drops like that though

Comment

3 days with a lager yeast sounds really fast. Usually the best thing is to just wait it out

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
          3 days with a lager yeast sounds really fast.
          Especially this one, I definitely do not think it's finished

Comment

Airlock activity is a bad indicator of fermentation, just let it do it's thing for at least 10 days and then check sg. I've never fermented with s23 though. 34/70 was my lager yeast of choice

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
              So I pitched S-23 (I know) into my latest brew this past Sunday and by Monday morning there was a yeast party going on - visibly vigorous fermentation with plenty bubbling going on on the air-lock. Yesterday, dead still in the airlock. I thought maybe the cupboard it was in was too warm for this strain (cupboard seems to hold at about 15 - 18 deg) and seeing as I haven't completed my ferm chamber yet I moved it to the garage which gets a lot cooler that the rest of the house. Checked again this morning and still nada in the airlock.

I'm hesitant to open up and take a sample to get a gravity reading but I suspect that is the only way to tell if it is stuck right?

Edit: Pitched directly into wort, no starter
              Yea, there's no way its done, but why hesitant?

The liquid inside is sanitary ... if your hands and equipment is sanitary there's nothing to be scared of.
              If you really paranoid use a sanitized turkey baster and suck up ±100ml ... the lid is going to be open for no more than 10seconds
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

What the Hell!!! is my Hydrometer bust?

Took a reading, it's down to 1012 already after just 4 days

Comment

lol

ok, next thing to check is temperature gauge ... are you sure that cupboard is at 15-18ºC
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    lol

ok, next thing to check is temperature gauge ... are you sure that cupboard is at 15-18ºC
                    STC 1000 has it at 16.6 currently

Comment

Airlock activity should never be used as an indicator of yeast activity. Just let it do its thing and take a reading when you think its done.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachless View Post
                        Airlock activity should never be used as an indicator of yeast activity. Just let it do its thing and take a reading when you think its done.
                        Indeed, I was just very surprised it fermented that fast considering the strain I used

Comment

Working...
                        X