This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
    If you want to be fancy, stick it to the fermenter, then cover the probe with 2 layers of bubblewrap.
    or if you want to get really fancy, i've seen people putting the probe into the fermenter.

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
      Simon is that the temp of the fermentation chamber or do you have a thermowell in the fermenter?
      Like AtronSeige said I also have a probe in the fermentation chamber, hanging loose. During active ferment the chamber is typically 2 degrees cooler than the probe on the fermenter (which is what is attached to the controller)
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
        or if you want to get really fancy, i've seen people putting the probe into the fermenter.
        No problems with sanitation?

I have mine in a jar with water. But I set the temp controller about 2-3 degrees lower to what I want to ferment at
        Primary: APA
        Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
        Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
        Next up: world domination

Comment

Not if you sanitise the probe like you do anything else.

Comment

suppose if it's sanitized it should be ok. it's usually done in carboys with special fittings but i've also seen it done with buckets. google it.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
              I used to do that, but then I realized it is just more things to clean. Now fermentation temp control is the temp of the water in the bath.

Comment

Could probably thread it through a blow off hose... I'll think about it in my next brew
                Primary: APA
                Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                Next up: world domination

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                  temp control is the temp of the water in the bath.
                  You bath with your beer. Now that's dedication. Good for the hair too

Comment

Could probably thread it through a blow off hose... I'll think about it in my next brew
                    That does work, but it can be annoying as the probe likes to get stuck on small bends and wet patches.

To help with this, use thick fish-gut (vis lyn) line or, I think it is called Builder's Wire. It is like fish-gut, just yellow! You can get it at the hardware store.

Anyway, tie the fishgut to the probe and thread the fishgut through the blow-off. then pull the probe through (carefully).

Skol!

Comment

• Originally posted by SimonB View Post
                      You bath with your beer. Now that's dedication. Good for the hair too
                      It is great fun and highly recommended! Depending on the beer style you can do different things. For fun styles like IPAs I get some foam going, some toys; ducks and boats and submarines, and we have a whale of a time. For other styles, like blondes, I like to use nice bubbles, some romantic music....

Comment

• getting my soldiers ready for the great milk stout battle later today

Attached Files

Comment

• Dry stout busy mashing in a full volume bag.

Ph a nice 5.2

Will check the SG soon

Comment

• Pre-fermentation gravity came in at 1.063 or 1.059 depending on which megefter I'm supposed to trust more.

Anyways, SG is a little high for a dry stout.........I might have <ahem> over-compensated for lower efficiency BIAB expectations.
                            So let's call it a Strong Stout or an American Stout.

I had to mix 2 packs of dry yeast (lack of planning for a 45L batch), so I hope the two ale yeast strains don't fight.

Mash Ph was 5.2, should be SLIGHTLY lower based on the dark malt grain bill, but my water is a lot like Burton or London @ 7.9-8.2 Ph. I don't want to play with compensation until I'm sure what standard water does to a beer.

All I know is that I'm happy to brew dark beers all the time. None of the namby pamby wishy washy blondes for me.

Comment

• busy making some sort of beer from all the leftover ingredients lying around. it'll either work, or it won't...

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                                busy making some sort of beer from all the leftover ingredients lying around. it'll either work, or it won't...
                                If at first it doesn't work....you're not using enough hops. Add hops.

Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Working...
                                X