This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    Kak voile has ruined a couple of brew days for us as well.
    Jakes when you find a proper voil can you post its name/ description/ tag. I dont know how you spec voil. We'd all like to buy voil bags once every 10 years

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      Jakes when you find a proper voil can you post its name/ description/ tag. I dont know how you spec voil. We'd all like to buy voil bags once every 10 years
      I'll do that. I have found that the supplier plays a big role. Some voiles are just shyte.

Comment

• The fabric places i phoned in my area doesn't have "per meter" rolls at the moment, so they want you to buy pre-made curtains .... that's where the problem creeps in ... the voile from those curtains seems to be very low quality.
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I don't do BIAB but use filter mesh to wrap my filter gadget for my mash tun..
          I bought a nylon curtain for kitchen or bathroom el cheapo style.. was R50 for a set at a PEP Home store. The material is very strong. The curtain is cut up now .. but think the original size was 2x 1.2msq.
          Maybe check it out..

I don't know what micron it is .. but crushed grain doesn't come through..

EDIT:
          20211115_141638.jpg
          AlexBrew
          Last edited by AlexBrew; 15 November 2021, 14:29.

Comment

• was planning on brewing tomorrow but my SO just informed me that we need to go house shopping.

Attempt #3 at my tripel karamliet is busy mashing now. The rikus mod is holding up well so excited to see what the future holds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
              Attempt #3 at my tripel karamliet is busy mashing now.
              This a CSI recipe ?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                This a CSI recipe ?
                Yes sir. Started way to late. The 90min boil only started now so +- 2 hrs before Im done fir the day.

Comment

Yes sir. Started way to late. The 90min boil only started now so +- 2 hrs before Im done fir the day.
                  Simple recipe .. complex boil
                  AlexBrew
                  Last edited by AlexBrew; 15 November 2021, 20:38. Reason: spelling

Comment

Simple recipe .. complex boil
                    It has 3 types of malted and unmalted grains. Well actualy 3 types of oats has golden naked oats as well.

Mash was 2.5 hours to get full conversion and to step through all the rests.

Boil ended up taking 2.5 hours as well, my boil off is diffrent in summer.

Luckilly I didnt burn the wort just had one blonde moment where I took of the QD off while the valve was still open. So just burned myself. Ill take it, if I had burned the batch again I would have been done.

Glad its over, next time Ill stick to my 4am kick off this was a hectic brewday

Comment

It has 3 types of malted and unmalted grains. Well actualy 3 types of oats has golden naked oats as well.
                      I see yes, it's got a more complex grainbill than some of the other recipes I looked at. Most have 2-3 different grains with possibly up to 2 different candi sugar/syrup boil additions..
                      Interesting to see your Tripel Karmaliet recipe has quite a bit of wheat and oats.. possibly something that I found missing on my Duvel Tripel Hop .. I noticed the head retention not exactly the same as the original Duvel tripel Hop when I did the side-by-side.
                      Which yeast are you using ?

Comment

I see yes, it's got a more complex grainbill than some of the other recipes I looked at. Most have 2-3 different grains with possibly up to 2 different candi sugar/syrup boil additions..
                        Interesting to see your Tripel Karmaliet recipe has quite a bit of wheat and oats.. possibly something that I found missing on my Duvel Tripel Hop .. I noticed the head retention not exactly the same as the original Duvel tripel Hop when I did the side-by-side.
                        Which yeast are you using ?

my trusty Liquid culture trappist high gravity. the tripel karmaliet is a non standard tripel and is based on a 17th century recipe that they found at the end of a manuscript. It was listed as a debt or obligation.

Lost Beers - The original 17th century Tripel Karmeliet recipe

Quite an interesting beer that was found recently and remade. It's not 100% as they used spelt malt instead of oats but it's a fair substitute.

hydrometer checked the wort this morning and came out dead center at 1.08 so we will have a 9.2% beer when it's all said and done. also did a quick taste test and I'm happy to report I dont taste anything burned so 3rd time is the charm. Quite excited for this one

Comment

• ^ Nice
                          Interesting read .. thx for sharing.

The CSI recipe asked for a wine yeast - hence me asking..
                          AlexBrew
                          Last edited by AlexBrew; 16 November 2021, 14:51.

Comment

• Kegged the Amber ale, tastes lekker. Next up is a Märzen of some sort. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Next up is a Märzen of some sort. Any suggestions?
                              happened to have watched this yesterday ....

??
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                happened to have watched this yesterday ....

??
                                What are the chances! Shot, will look into it

Comment

Working...
                                X