This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aha an exBEERiment.

I can't do the mash experiments too accurately unless I use the GF and that is Elbie's baby so I stay away and stick to my old school step mash with gas.

Comment

• who's brewing what this w/end? might just do that gumballhead myself, it's too damn hot these days and will make for a nice quencher. will start the cold crash on that nelson/galaxy apa tonight and need to get the stills running again, lots of stuff that's done fermenting waiting patiently for a strip. on a side note, the limoncello i made is damned awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        who's brewing what this w/end? might just do that gumballhead myself, it's too damn hot these days and will make for a nice quencher..
        I just captured your recipe, want to see if I can can start earlier and do it today. On the yeast front.. US-05 or Voss? Will I be missing out?

Comment

• Either will do, us05 is the OG for almost all american ales

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Either will do, us05 is the OG for almost all american ales
            Yeah.. choices.. let me see what Voss brings, haven't brewed with it yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
              Yeah.. choices.. let me see what Voss brings, haven't brewed with it yet.
              Voss has an awesome citrus taste going on, It also dropped the ph low(think this is what it did) so it's a bit tart. It was awesome in my Mexican lager that was dry hopped with Amarillo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                As I have it, the first bit of mashing is the most important. Enzymes don't make fermentable sugars unfermentable. That doesn't work. If you want unfermentable wort, mash short and high.

<SNIP>

I'll do a little test sometime. Two batches, identical recipes, but mashed at vastly different temperatures (say, 61°C vs 71°C). Same grain bill, same hop profile, same boil time. I think that's a great idea. I'mma do that.
                I've always found this video a good explanation ....

See Episode 2 also
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Cool thanks for sharing. Indeed, best explanation I've seen so far.
                  I'll be watching the episodes from the beginning tonight.

Comment

• Gumballhead done. Not sure I hit the numbers, tried rice hulls, worked well. Will play around with the wheat and see where I can improve, crush/mash stirring not sure what else I can try [emoji23]

Comment

• Were you way under/over? Easy way to check the impact is to edit the recipe and modify your efficiency (based on the actuals) This will show you how it affects your bu:gu etc.

Comment

Were you way under/over? Easy way to check the impact is to edit the recipe and modify your efficiency (based on the actuals) This will show you how it affects your bu:gu etc.

Hit +-70% efficiency , looks like 0.77

Comment

• she's going to bite, but the wheat does lend 'effervescence' to it and you dh should smooth it a wee bit. she'll be right

Comment

• I took the Gumballhead recipe and completely made it my own with stock I had on hand.

Magnum for bittering and African queen in a whirlpool/hopstand @90ºC.... there will be AQ in the dryhop.

I had 3kg wheat as part of the fermentables. What a bitch that was to drain from a BIAB setup
                            Also caused the bag to be very slimy

Mash Efficiency was also way down to 72% but for now i will accept that it's also due to the wheat.

Busy chilling in a cube ... will pitch Voss tomorrow from an IPA that was kegged yesterday.

Happy Brewing
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

she's going to bite, but the wheat does lend 'effervescence' to it and you dh should smooth it a wee bit. she'll be right
                              Fingers crossed!

Comment

• Late start here, mashing out soon though. Not enough wheat for a gumballhead, so making a marzen instead.

Im planning a chappyhead instead, which SA hop is the nice one? I know it starts with "Southern"
                                :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X