Auto Syphon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Syphon

Does anyone know if there's auto-syphon spares available in South Africa?

The rubber seal on mine is sucking air and looses the suction.

Screenshot_58.jpg

Don't see why I must buy a whole new one when I only need a R20 seal
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Never seen spare parts for a syphon, by the time the rubber seal is cracked you might as well get a new one all together. Hold the tube up to the sun and check for micro cracks in the plastic tube also.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Harhm
    Last edited by Harhm; 19 November 2021, 11:36.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      Does anyone know if there's auto-syphon spares available in South Africa?

The rubber seal on mine is sucking air and looses the suction.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3705[/ATTACH]

Don't see why I must buy a whole new one when I only need a R20 seal
      Get rid of the infection/oxidation stick and just use a normal syphon?

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
        Get rid of the infection/oxidation stick and just use a normal syphon?
        Never had any of those

what do you mean by "normal" syphon ?

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
          Never seen spare parts for a syphon, by the time the rubber seal is cracked you might as well get a new one all together. Hold the tube up to the sun and check for micro cracks in the plastic tube also.

Not in SA yes, but across the pond brewers replace these type of parts easily. ... My tubes seems fine

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            Never had any of those

what do you mean by "normal" syphon ?
            Credit below goes to chino_brews on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing...eb2x&context=3

IMO a racking cane and tubing is easier to keep sanitary than an autosiphon and not prone to seal failure nor entraining air into beer like an autosiphon is.
            Starting a siphon is easy, especially if you have a small tubing clamp or a DIY solution to pinch the tubing closed. Just practice with water and you'll have the knack in well under five minutes, in most cases.
            • You're using gravity so (duh) your source vessel has to be elevated compared to the receiving vessel.
            • Have a sink, drain, dump bucket, or floor next to your receiving vessel.
            • Attach the tubing to the racking cane and put the clamp (open) on the outlet end.
            • Fill the apparatus with no-rinse sanitizer or disinfected water.
            • Close the clamp and direct the outlet to your dump area.
            • Put the input end of the racking cane in your wort or beer, just under the surface so as not to suck up residual kraeusen or trub.
            • Open the clamp and allow the fluid to flow into dump area until a bit of beer comes out.
            • Close the clamp.
            • Redirect the output into the bottom your receiving vessel.
            • Open the clamp to rack wort, beer, wine, whatever.
            • Watch the input of the racking cane, lowering it as the fluid level drops and keeping it out of the trub and the air above the beer/wort. If you break the siphon, just repeat the process.
            • Also watch the neck of the racking cane for non-clear beer or particles, so you can stop or adjust the racking cane.

Easy peasy.

I skip all this and submerge most of a silicone tube, pinch the end closed and pull it lower to my receiving vessel. as soon as I pull a bit of liquid out the top vessel I remove the pinch and the beer flows.

works lekker. his way is full proof tho. you just need to suck a bit of liquid from your top vessel and gravity will do the rest

I know you dont like reading so here's a youtube video its for an aquarium but it's close enough to my technique: https://youtu.be/Xv8S3tLnf7I?t=87

He pinches in the middle I just pinch at the end as it's easier for me but its all same same.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
              Credit below goes to chino_brews on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing...eb2x&context=3

IMO a racking cane and tubing is easier to keep sanitary than an autosiphon and not prone to seal failure nor entraining air into beer like an autosiphon is.
              Starting a siphon is easy, especially if you have a small tubing clamp or a DIY solution to pinch the tubing closed. Just practice with water and you'll have the knack in well under five minutes, in most cases.
              • You're using gravity so (duh) your source vessel has to be elevated compared to the receiving vessel.
              • Have a sink, drain, dump bucket, or floor next to your receiving vessel.
              • Attach the tubing to the racking cane and put the clamp (open) on the outlet end.
              • Fill the apparatus with no-rinse sanitizer or disinfected water.
              • Close the clamp and direct the outlet to your dump area.
              • Put the input end of the racking cane in your wort or beer, just under the surface so as not to suck up residual kraeusen or trub.
              • Open the clamp and allow the fluid to flow into dump area until a bit of beer comes out.
              • Close the clamp.
              • Redirect the output into the bottom your receiving vessel.
              • Open the clamp to rack wort, beer, wine, whatever.
              • Watch the input of the racking cane, lowering it as the fluid level drops and keeping it out of the trub and the air above the beer/wort. If you break the siphon, just repeat the process.
              • Also watch the neck of the racking cane for non-clear beer or particles, so you can stop or adjust the racking cane.

Easy peasy.

I skip all this and submerge most of a silicone tube, pinch the end closed and pull it lower to my receiving vessel. as soon as I pull a bit of liquid out the top vessel I remove the pinch and the beer flows.

works lekker. his way is full proof tho. you just need to suck a bit of liquid from your top vessel and gravity will do the rest

I know you dont like reading so here's a youtube video its for an aquarium but it's close enough to my technique: https://youtu.be/Xv8S3tLnf7I?t=87

He pinches in the middle I just pinch at the end as it's easier for me but its all same same.
              HeHe ,,, had to read it all to get to that sentence

..but ok, Im with you ... this is actually how i did it before i got the Auto-Syphon

Comment

Pic of the small cracks in the siphon tube Im refering to, I use this to transfer from fermenter to distilling kettle

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Jig I think its time for you to change to pressure fermentation, you dont need any syphon's to transfer under pressure.

Comment

Working...
                  X